register now
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Controversial Article Published In Local Mag Has Mayor Nutter Asking For Investigatio

PeteS in CA is offline Theocon
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Controversial Article Published In Local Mag Has Mayor Nutter Asking For Investigatio

Controversial Article Published In Local Magazine Has Mayor Nutter Asking For Investigation
    By Mike Dougherty
    March 15, 2013 7:18 PM
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – A controversial article published in Philadelphia Magazine this month has the attention of the Nutter Administration.

The article, titled “Being White in Philly,” features a series of interviews with anonymous white residents from different areas of the city who share stories about their interaction with black residents.

Mayor Nutter calls the article’s tone “disgusting,” and he’s asked the Human Relations Commission to investigate some of the sensitive racial issues explored in the piece.
    So, while reading this piece and Mayor Nutter's "response to the article", my Acme BS Detector was pegging (Beep! Beep!). It's sad, but Race Baiters and Professional Victims in this country have made my BS Meter set to its ultra-sensitive scale. Anyway, I'm na-a-a-a-a-a-asty enough that I though it worthwhile to check out this article and see its “disgusting" tone for myself. Thing is, this CBS article neither quotes from nor links the Philadelphia Magazine article (my BS Meter hit its peg again when I noticed these omissions). A-Bing'ing I will go ... in two shakes of a search engine's tail I was there:

Being White in Philly.

The article is long-ish, 4 pages. It's format is heavily anecdotal, so it doesn't really lend itself to posting a reasonably brief quote that can capture the full breadth of its tone. Suffice it to say that while it has a couple of "unpleasant" spots - comments by people the writer interviewed - IMO, Mayor Nutter's calling in the "Human Relations Commission" is either a vast over-reaction to something about which he's heard but never read, or a disingenuous act of tyranny whose intent is to stifle discussion while preserving the Race-Baiting and Victimology industries.
    PC Nazi, (Lazy-No-Thought-Pejorative Adjective-of-Choice), and generally scary Bogey-Moderator.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Addendum: I found the CBS Local article linked above on Drudge Report. As I noted, I found the article to which Mayor Nutter was "responding" by using a search engine. Had I looked again at the Drudge Report front page, I would have noticed this link just below the CBS story link: "The Story That Started It All...". Somehow, Drudge managed to find and link the Philly Mag article that CBS couldn't or wouldn't!
    PC Nazi, (Lazy-No-Thought-Pejorative Adjective-of-Choice), and generally scary Bogey-Moderator.

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Philly Mayor Thinks Magazine Article Not Protected Free Speech
    by Larry O'Connor
    Breitbart.com/Big-Journalism
    19 Mar 2013, 9:22 AM PDT
    Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter didn't like an article in Philadelphia Magazine entitled: "Being White in Philly: Whites, Race, Class, and the things that never get said."

The mayor was so upset about reading an opinion that he didn't like, he sent a letter to something called the Philadelphia Human Relations Commission. The letter uses language that suggests Mayor Nutter doesn't think the article is protected under the first amendment. In fact, he even uses scare quotes around the word "speech" when referring to the offending article:
    While I fully recognize that constitutional protections afforded the press are intended to protect the media from censorship by the government, the First Amendment, like other constitutional rights, is not an unfettered right, and notwithstanding the First Amendment, a publisher has a duty to the public to exercise its role in a responsible way. I ask the Commission to evaluate whether the “speech” employed in this essay is not the reckless equivalent of “shouting ‘fire!’ in a crowded theater,” its prejudiced, fact-challenged generalizations an incitement to extreme reaction.
    I'll repeat what I said above. Either the appropriately named Mayor Nutter has not actually read the article he is condemning, or he is flat out lying. And, since I linked the article in question above, and it is linked in this article, the article is easily accessible ... for those willing to bother reading it before condemning or praising it.

2cent is offline Senior Operative
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The barrier of race relations will never be melted until both sides realize they have nothing to fear from the other side.
    That is never going to happen as long as the likes of Mayor Nutter perpetuate that divide by seeing hatred where there is none.
    And it isn't going to be miraculously cured by the likes of sweet "Jen" in this story by pretending there aren't problems.

East is East, and West is West; and never the twain shall meet.

Perhaps we should just learn to be civil, rather than trying to pretend we are like one another.

Western European's have their culture; Mexicans have their culture; Blacks have their culture; Orientals have their culture.

It's OKAY to have different cultures. It's amazing what you can learn from sharing different cultures with others. We have such a pot so ready for that experience! Always have had.

What's NOT okay is to submit to lawless, crimminal behavior on ANY level; no matter the race or creed. THAT is descrimination, and leads to nothing but a country divided.

We are a country based on LAWS; not man, not the amount of pigmant in your skin, not on hair color, not on the religion you follow;

on LAW.

Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Makes a great country!!!!
    Last edited by 2cent; 03-26-2013 at 02:51 AM.
    "The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie." ~ Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid." ~ Anonymous

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. ~ Albert Einstein

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The Philadelphia Inquisition
    May 6, 2013
    Weekly Standard Vol. 18, No. 32
    By MARK HEMINGWAY
    On April 18, the Philadelphia Human Relations Commission held a meeting to examine the controversy surrounding Philadelphia’s March cover story, “Being White in Philly.” The author, Robert Huber, went around the Fairmount and Brewerytown neighborhoods near Girard and asked all manner of white people about racial tensions in these gentrifying areas of North Philly. The piece was by no means flattering to white people. ...
    Philadelphia’s Human Relations Commission has an illustrious history. It was the first body of its kind in the country, founded in 1951, and was at the center of helping resolve the city’s considerable racial tensions through the ’60s and early ’70s. In the late ’80s, the commission pushed the city for ordinances protecting gays. But the justification for the commission’s existence has been fuzzy for decades. The commission’s slick PowerPoint presentation blandly states that “in the ’90s the PHRC continued to hold hearings.”

In fact, the commission has been defining discrimination down for years. It spent over a year determining that the owner of Geno’s Steaks violated no laws with a sign asking customers to speak English. ...

And now it’s going after Philadelphia. To its credit, the magazine isn’t playing along. A few days before the April 18 meeting, Philadelphia editor Tom McGrath sent the Human Relations Commission a polite letter informing them that the magazine would skip the meeting. (McGrath had already moderated a discussion with Huber and critics at the National Constitution Center.)
    Mayor Nutter's attempt to gin up a teapot tempest turned out underwhelming. And Philadelphia Magazine dared to decline to show up to be on display at Mayor Nutter's intended kangaroo court show trial! Shocking! It's almost as if ... they think they have the freedom to publish such an article.

samspade is offline Truth Seeker
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Meanwhile in my area one of the school districts is under fire because they do not have more black teachers to teach the children.

s is suWhen Chuck Norris was in middle school, his English teacher assigned an essay: "What is courage?" He received an A+ for turning in a blank page with only his name at the top.pposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    - Ronald Reagan -
    - Ronald Reagan -

+ Reply to Thread