Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

U.S. evicting Point Reyes oyster farmer

U.S. evicting Point Reyes oyster farmer
    Peter Fimrite and Justin Berton
    Updated 11:23 p.m., Thursday, November 29, 2012
    SFGate.com
    U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar told a popular oyster farm at Drakes Bay on Thursday to pack up and leave, effectively ending more than a century of shellfish harvesting on the picturesque inlet where Europeans first set foot in California.

Salazar's decision ends a long-running dispute between the Drakes Bay Oyster Co. and the National Park Service over the estuary at Point Reyes National Seashore where Sir Francis Drake landed more than 400 years ago.

The National Park Service intends to turn the 2,700-acre area into the first federally designated marine wilderness area on the West Coast, giving the estuary special protected status as an unaltered ecological region. To do that, Salazar rejected the oyster company's proposal to extend its 40-year lease to harvest shellfish on 1,100 acres of the property.
    Kevin Lunny, a local rancher who bought the shellfish operation from Johnson Oyster Co. in 2004, said he was shocked when he got a call directly from Salazar on Thursday morning telling him that the 40-year occupancy agreement would not be renewed.

"It's disbelief and excruciating sorrow," he said of the mood at the oyster farm, where 30 people are employed, including seven families that live on the property.

"There are 30 people, all in tears this morning, who are going to lose their jobs and their homes," Lunny said. "They are experts in seafood handling and processing in the last oyster cannery in California, and there is nowhere for them to go."
    It's just a small business, no one (important) will miss it, yada, yada, yada ... how many hundreds or thousands of similar "insignificant" small businesses have gotten or will get the same kind of @#$%-job from the Enviros and their lapdog EPA?!
    PC Nazi, (Lazy-No-Thought-Pejorative Adjective-of-Choice), and generally scary Bogey-Moderator.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

PeteS in CA is offline Theocon
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    California Oyster Farm Gets Reprieve from Ninth Circuit
    by Bridget Johnson
    PJMedia.com/tatler
    2013/02/25
    A historic California oyster farm won an injunction against an Interior Department order to shut down as the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals considers the Point Reyes company’s appeal.

The Drakes Bay Oyster Company has been in a long fight with the Interior Department, who said the fourth-generation family business was harming harbor seal pups and native plants, and wanted to return the coastal region in Marin County to its natural state.
    “Interior attempted to flat out kill this oyster farm and its jobs by using misleading science and ignoring economic impacts,” said Senate Environment and Public Works Ranking Member David Vitter (R-La.). “I applaud the Ninth Circuit for taking this first step to recognizing that the Interior agency bureaucrats, including Ken Salazar, almost put people out of work for no good reason.”
    It's a reprieve, not total victory. No offense to NV and AZ, but this is one CA business that cannot move to those fine states.
    PC Nazi, (Lazy-No-Thought-Pejorative Adjective-of-Choice), and generally scary Bogey-Moderator.

ClassicalTeacher is offline Proud Mackerel Snapper
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS in CA View Post
    California Oyster Farm Gets Reprieve from Ninth Circuit
    by Bridget Johnson
    PJMedia.com/tatler
    2013/02/25

It's a reprieve, not total victory. No offense to NV and AZ, but this is one CA business that cannot move to those fine states.
    Lord knows what's next. I remember when I lived in Florida. Sometime during that period some group put alligators on the endangered species list. Now, with over a million wild and hungry alligators running around South Florida winding up in peoples' swimming pools, backyards, garages, and eating their children and pets, someone finally had the sense to take these beasts off the endangered list. Now they have scheduled alligator hunting season down there. It used to be illegal to hunt alligators and people have gone to jail for such. Stupidity abounds I guess.
    “A little science takes you away from God but a lot of science takes you back to Him… Question your priorities often, make sure God always comes first… Posterity will one day laugh at the sublime foolishness of the modern materialistic philosophy. The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator." (Louis Pasteur)

"Evil ignored is evil embraced."

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." (George Orwell)

PeteS in CA is offline Theocon
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Now they have scheduled alligator hunting season down there.
    Wally Gator must have eaten some Enviro's purse dog.

5. 2 Members say 'Thank You' PeteS in CA for the great post:

ClassicalTeacher (02-26-2013), Conservative Libertarian (02-26-2013)

+ Reply to Thread