Thread: Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations

samspade is offline Truth Seeker
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations

It may not rank as the most compelling reason to curb greenhouse gases, but reducing our emissions might just save humanity from a pre-emptive alien attack, scientists claim.
    Watching from afar, extraterrestrial beings might view changes in Earth's atmosphere as symptomatic of a civilisation growing out of control and take drastic action to keep us from becoming a more serious threat, the researchers explain.

This highly speculative scenario is one of several described by scientists at Nasa and Pennsylvania State University that, while considered unlikely, they say could play out were humans and alien life to make contact at some point in the future.

Shawn Domagal-Goldman of Nasa's Planetary Science Division and his colleagues compiled a list of plausible outcomes that could unfold in the aftermath of a close encounter, to help humanity "prepare for actual contact".

Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations, say scientists | Science | The Guardian

I did not know where to really put this but I felt this forum was best. Frankly now that NASA has been turned into the weather division/Muslim outreach program they have to justify their existence.

I think this comment to the article says it all:

INCOMING MESSAGE/////////
    Greetings puny Earthlings... My name is Zorgon of the Zorgonites... And I bring you a great warning: stop intercepting my intergalactic voicemail messages immediately or I shall exploderize your pathetic planet immediately with my megazapper and make you all go splatty with much gruesomeness.

You have been warned.

s is suWhen Chuck Norris was in middle school, his English teacher assigned an essay: "What is courage?" He received an A+ for turning in a blank page with only his name at the top.pposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    - Ronald Reagan -
    - Ronald Reagan -

Maylar is offline Connect_Wired
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. -Cooper (Interstellar 2014)

Jack Hectormann is offline My Side Eventually Wins
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The article's title and tag line:
    Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations, say scientists
    Rising greenhouse emissions could tip off aliens that we are a rapidly expanding threat, warns a report
    No, the aliens will destroy only the Earth's scientists. It was the scientists that made greenhouse emissions possible in the first place. Don't try to tell me that Joe Sixpack invented the technology that made General Motors, Ford, United States Steel, and the Fortune 500 possible or that made them hum smoothly along. **BigGrin**

No! Joe Sixpack is innocent and the 's KNOW this and they will spare us regular slobs and peons the Joe Sixpacks of the world, and zero in on the scientists and collect them from around the world and put them into giant Un-Science Machines which will turn them into MacDonald's Hamburger Flippers, High School Grief Counselors, and Sex Therapists.

The Earth will then, at some point, revert back to the times of Conan The Barbarian and we shall all live happily ever after.

's are probably cool dudes, regular country people, with Down To Earth Backyard-Attitudes that look down their noses at what comes out of Harvard and MIT.

/kidding around

Susanna is offline Cyber Mom
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    What "scientists?"

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem; they shall prosper that love thee. Psalm 122:6
    Jesus is still King!
    Isn't it funny how so many people think that "science" can do anything and everything, but God (if they even acknowledge His existence) can't do much of anything? - Me

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hectormann View Post
    The article's title and tag line:

No, the aliens will destroy only the Earth's scientists. It was the scientists that made greenhouse emissions possible in the first place. Don't try to tell me that Joe Sixpack invented the technology that made General Motors, Ford, United States Steel, and the Fortune 500 possible or that made them hum smoothly along. **BigGrin**

No! Joe Sixpack is innocent and the 's KNOW this and they will spare us regular slobs and peons the Joe Sixpacks of the world, and zero in on the scientists and collect them from around the world and put them into giant Un-Science Machines which will turn them into MacDonald's Hamburger Flippers, High School Grief Counselors, and Sex Therapists.

The Earth will then, at some point, revert back to the times of Conan The Barbarian and we shall all live happily ever after.

's are probably cool dudes, regular country people, with Down To Earth Backyard-Attitudes that look down their noses at what comes out of Harvard and MIT.

/kidding around

s is suWhen Chuck Norris was in middle school, his English teacher assigned an essay: "What is courage?" He received an A+ for turning in a blank page with only his name at the top.pposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    - Ronald Reagan -
    - Ronald Reagan -

Maylar is offline Connect_Wired
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
    What "scientists?"
    Obama cut funding for the space program and shifted all of NASA's resources into global warming stuff. The report itself came from Obama's NASA. It greatly pains me to see one of the governments few good programs be utterly reduced to this under Obama and his Agenda.
    We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. -Cooper (Interstellar 2014)

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
    What "scientists?"
    Isn't Al Gore a scientist?

- Ronald Reagan -
    - Ronald Reagan -

Tiny1 is offline Senior Operative
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade View Post
    Isn't Al Gore a scientist?
    And we are supposed to take scientists seriously? And they laugh at Creation as a theory??? Tell me again how we Socons are stupid and scientists are so smart?
    Beam me up Scotty, these people are whack!!!

Please take some time to learn about Autism. 1 in 150 people are diagnosed with some form of Autism. You might be one, and not even know it.

I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress.

-Ronald Reagan

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny1 View Post
    And we are supposed to take scientists seriously? And they laugh at Creation as a theory??? Tell me again how we Socons are stupid and scientists are so smart?
    Beam me up Scotty, these people are whack!!!
    Wack ado wack ado

- Ronald Reagan -
    - Ronald Reagan -

Tiny1 is offline Senior Operative
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade View Post
    Wack ado wack ado

Ole "Thumbs" could play that dobro, couldn't he. Impressive.

Please take some time to learn about Autism. 1 in 150 people are diagnosed with some form of Autism. You might be one, and not even know it.

I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress.

-Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast