Thread: GM chief pushing for higher gas taxes

samspade is offline Truth Seeker
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

GM chief pushing for higher gas taxes

General Motors Co. CEO Dan Akerson wants the federal gas tax boosted as much as $1 a gallon to nudge consumers toward more fuel-efficient cars, and he's confident the government will soon shed its remaining 26 percent stake in the once-bankrupt automaker.
    "I actually think the government will be out this year — within the next 12 months, hopefully within the next six months," Akerson said in a two-hour interview with The Detroit News last week.
    He is grateful for the government's rescue of GM — "I have nothing but good things to say about them" — but Akerson said the time for that relationship to end is coming because it's wearing on GM.

From The Detroit News: Autos Insider | GM's Akerson pushing for higher gas taxes | The Detroit News

So I gather that while the nation suffers from higher gas prices which will not only effect the pump this clown wants to force people into his cars.

I believe this is in line with what Obama wants as well.

s is suWhen Chuck Norris was in middle school, his English teacher assigned an essay: "What is courage?" He received an A+ for turning in a blank page with only his name at the top.pposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    - Ronald Reagan -
    - Ronald Reagan -

Devilneck is offline The Illustrious Grand High Couyon
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Have I mentioned that GM is not my favorite company?
    We say Grace, we say Ma'am. If you ain't into that we don't give a damn.

Today's forecast: Cloudy, with a strong chance of Banhammer.

I clean my guns with liberal tears.

*General mod note: Good discussion does not require insults. Disagree all you like, but don't insult other posters. Thank you.* ~Devilneck

Bigfoot 88 is offline Conservative Libertarian
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I would prefer a motorcycle over a weak, expensive new car.

Maylar is offline Connect_Wired
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So here we are... this man just had his company saved by the money of the American Taxpayers. In that story, he called American's "Generous". Then, in the very same interview, he says to increase taxes of American Taxpayers to try and drive them to buy cars like his own companies Volt. The Chevy Volt that cost the American Taxpayer a little over $40,000.

I have 2 words, and only 2 words that I would want to say to Mr. Akerson, but to say them on the forum would earn me a time out. But oooooh, I can think them all I want!
    We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. -Cooper (Interstellar 2014)

Bucks is offline Resisting the Bolsheviks
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade View Post
    General Motors Co. CEO Dan Akerson wants the federal gas tax boosted as much as $1 a gallon to nudge consumers toward more fuel-efficient cars, and he's confident the government will soon shed its remaining 26 percent stake in the once-bankrupt automaker.
    "I actually think the government will be out this year — within the next 12 months, hopefully within the next six months," Akerson said in a two-hour interview with The Detroit News last week.
    He is grateful for the government's rescue of GM — "I have nothing but good things to say about them" — but Akerson said the time for that relationship to end is coming because it's wearing on GM.

From The Detroit News: Autos Insider | GM's Akerson pushing for higher gas taxes | The Detroit News

So I gather that while the nation suffers from higher gas prices which will not only effect the pump this clown wants to force people into his cars.

I believe this is in line with what Obama wants as well.
    Government Motors, what a disaster.

Yeah, screw the tax payer once again.

Every time I hear someone propose the federal government "force" people to do something, I remember Rep. Dingell;

In response to a question posed by Smith, Dingell said:

Let me remind you this [Americans allegedly dying because of lack of universal health care] has been going on for years. We are bringing it to a halt. The harsh fact of the matter is when you're going to pass legislation that will cover 300 [million] American people in different ways it takes a long time to do the necessary administrative steps that have to be taken to put the legislation together to control the people

American Thinker Blog: Rep. Dingell: It's taken a long time to 'control the people'

"Control the people" that IS what this administration is all about.

Then there was Rep. Maxine Waters: Nationalize the Oil Companies

"Men have forgotten God; that's why all this has happened" ~People of Russia (and the United States)

It's Official; America is now a Soviet style country, the ruling party owns the majority of media which attacks the ruling party's opposition.

Bigfoot 88 is offline Conservative Libertarian
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Energy Secretary Chu Embraces High Gas Prices, Again | The Foundry

Bucks, I notice that quote by Bernanke in your signature. He is correct, but he is also making a mess of things himself right now.

Rightwing Nutjob is offline Capitalist Oppressor
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
    I have 2 words, and only 2 words that I would want to say to Mr. Akerson, but to say them on the forum would earn me a time out. But oooooh, I can think them all I want!
    Yes, sir. I quite agree.
    "Regulation is necessary to make a free market work."
    Mitt Romney
    "Next Romney will inform us that divorce is necessary to make a marriage work."
    J.Anderson

"If government is the answer, then it's a stupid question."
    RET423

"They are like a corrosive Fifth Column on this Forum. Presumably, Nut Job is the putative leader of this Liberal column, and I guess Reagan Girl is the mother superior of the bunch.
    "
    Founder

"The EPA today announced that it has lost the endangered species list."
    The Onion News Network

"I've got a lot of things planned and none of them are cheap."
    Barry O.

tperkins is offline Smart ass and not afraid to show it
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    His lord and master told him to say it. He's there by the grace of Obama.
    "If, in the opinion of the people, the distribution of the constitutional powers be in any particular wrong, let it be corrected in the way which the Constitution designates.

"But let there be no change by usurpation, for this, though it may in one instance be the instrument of good, is the ordinary weapon by which free governments are destroyed.." - George Washington

Chief Dork is offline Waiting for Krugman
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Remember they love the middle class, that is why they try so hard to kill it.
    “Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.” George Orwell.

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier when it's called 'The People's Stick' ." Mikhail Bakunin

"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter." G. K. Chesterton

samspade is offline Truth Seeker
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Dork View Post
    Remember they love the middle class, that is why they try so hard to kill it.

s is suWhen Chuck Norris was in middle school, his English teacher assigned an essay: "What is courage?" He received an A+ for turning in a blank page with only his name at the top.pposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    - Ronald Reagan -
    - Ronald Reagan -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast