*Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

L.A. teachers union won't accept pay cuts, 'value-added' evaluations

L.A. teachers union won't accept pay cuts, 'value-added' evaluations
    By Howard Blume, Los Angeles Times
    December 16, 2010
    The state's largest teachers union Wednesday fired an early salvo in contract negotiations, serving notice that it wouldn't accept pay cuts easily and that it won't consider linking teacher evaluations to student test scores in the Los Angeles Unified School District.

The afternoon news conference, at union headquarters in Koreatown, was a familiar exercise in rallying the rank and file. But it also marked a renewed effort to lead the public debate over school reform, coming shortly after L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa labeled United Teachers Los Angeles the primary obstacle to improving schools.
    I don't subscribe to any kind of "unified theory" of the one thing that is wrong with US education. But if I were to list the 5 or 10 worst (IMO, of course) troublemakers, teacher's unions would top the list, the place of greatest dishonor. Greedbaggery like this soils the work done by the many good earnest educators mal-represented by these greedbags!
    PC Nazi, (Lazy-No-Thought-Pejorative Adjective-of-Choice), and generally scary Bogey-Moderator.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

PeteS in CA is online now Theocon
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Examples of how teacher's unions soil the work of good earnest educators:

700 NYC teachers paid to do nothing

L.A. Unified pays teachers not to teach
    PC Nazi, (Lazy-No-Thought-Pejorative Adjective-of-Choice), and generally scary Bogey-Moderator.

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just a bit more stirring of the fetid teacher's union cauldron:

Union Leader Clears Up Misconceptions About Tenure: Fog A Mirror, Job for Life
    by Kyle Olson
    Big Government
    12/17/10
    But in a recent blog post, United Federation of Teachers honcho Jeff Kaufman sticks his foot in his mouth when he attempts to clear up misconceptions about how tenure is granted in New York City. The blog, titled “Is tenure a strike issue?” is in response to the city Department of Education’s call to overhaul the process, and reveals that some union leaders may be willing to fight for the currently ineffective system at any cost.

“Despite current misconceptions tenure is not ‘given’ by the DOE. The only legal requirement for tenure is actually time; three years for teachers. After a three year period, within license, of being on payroll and the DOE has done nothing to stop the clock, you are automatically granted tenure,” Kaufman writes. “In fact you can be theoretically rated unsatisfactory for each of the three years and still get tenure if the DOE doesn’t fire you or cause you to extend your probation.”
    The unions know damn well they are protecting the incompetent and criminal and screwing children out of an education!

2cent is offline Senior Operative
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Is all this as opposed to teachers deciding to take a sabitical for religious reasons?
    "The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie." ~ Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid." ~ Anonymous

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. ~ Albert Einstein

Bucks is offline Resisting the Bolsheviks
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Michelle Rhee Leaves A Legacy of Reform

In the nation’s capital and throughout the country, education unions have worked to thwart attempts to reform the failed status quo, seeing any opening for children to escape monopoly public school systems as a threat to their power.

While Washington, D.C. still has a long way to go to improve the school system, Chancellor Rhee has worked to place the well-being of children ahead of the demands of special interest groups such as the education unions.
    Rhee was probably pushing for many good reforms, but the more she pushed for them the more incentive the edublob had to win the next election, remove her from office, and undo her efforts.

And eventually they did.
    Michelle Rhee hired by one Mayor was asked to resign by a mayor put in office by the teachers union. Isn't it great that unions can help choose their own boss ????

Obama said he is in favor of education reform BUT,
    But, because of pressure from education unions, the (Obama) administration and some members of Congress are working to phase out the successful voucher program, which provides scholarships of up to $7,500 to low-income D.C. children to attend a private school of their choice.

At a fraction of the more than $18,000 per-pupil spent in D.C. Public Schools, the Opportunity Scholarship Program has been an unequivocal success.
    Well it seems quite obvious that education UNIONS are NOT in favor of a good education.

As for the OP, if they wont accept pay cuts they will get teacher cuts......bunch of greedy idiots.

"Men have forgotten God; that's why all this has happened" ~People of Russia (and the United States)

It's Official; America is now a Soviet style country, the ruling party owns the majority of media which attacks the ruling party's opposition.

Fantasy Chaser is offline King Arthur of Clamalot...
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I think it ought to be forbidden for anyone holding a government-provided job to be a memeber of a labor union.
    The enemy wants men to concern themselves with what they do. Our business is to keep them thinking about what will happen to them. -- Screwtape
    REAL men don't exploit girls and women. They protect them. -- Me
    Treat a lady like a lady, and treat a tramp like the lady who's inside of her, the lady who God made her to be. -- Me
    Keep the equality of people, and the hierarchy of ideas. -- Dr. Ravi Zacharias
    I don't believe in treatin' girls equal. I believe in lookin' up to 'em. -- Moose Mason
    Mister Sharp. -- Bovril

Susanna is offline Cyber Mom
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Chaser View Post
    I think it ought to be forbidden for anyone holding a government-provided job to be a memeber of a labor union.
    Bingo! And tenure ought to be outlawed, too.

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem; they shall prosper that love thee. Psalm 122:6
    Jesus is still King!
    Isn't it funny how so many people think that "science" can do anything and everything, but God (if they even acknowledge His existence) can't do much of anything? - Me

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Is all this as opposed to teachers deciding to take a sabitical for religious reasons?
    Irrelevant, but yes. As I pointed out in the thread to which you allude: 1. taxpayers would not be paying for her haj, in any sense; 2. she would be exercising a right recognized in the Civil Rights Act; 3. if you don't like the CRA's application of the First Amendment, get your Congress Critter to change the law.

Back on topic ...

Government employees being unionized is a key part of the mess. I don't think legislators and the courts will see a need to change that power balance until Congressional and court staff members are unionized and get going on work rules.