register now
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What career do you want to pursue? How are you planning out your life?

Zionist Conservative is offline The Cranky Jew
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What career do you want to pursue? How are you planning out your life?

I have some parts of my life planned out, but it's not 100% concrete...well, not anymore.

After High School, I hope to attend a good college, not a super genius one, just a good one, like the University of Tennessee.

If, I get into Tennessee, I plan on going there for undergrad and grad school (Law school). That makes it 7 years of college, making me 24yrs old when I complete my college education.

After college, I would seriously consider where I want to live, because where I live will be where i'd take the BAR Exam. I would assume I would either move back to Charlotte, and get an apartment there near my parents, or stay in the city of my Alma Mater (Which, I would prefer to be Knoxville, Tennessee), or it may be somewhere else. Who knows.

But, where ever I live I would take the BAR exam as many times needed to pass it. Then, I would become a law intern, assuming I won't be lucky enough to land a job right away as a lawyer.

I would like to get married, and start a family somewhere between 24-29.

And somewhere between being a law intern and a lawyer, I would want to launch my political career.

But, I don't know if I want to go in politics anymore...

The part I'm 100% sure of, is that I want to go to college. Everything after that is shaky...at best.

Susanna is offline Cyber Mom
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My next step is Heaven.

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem; they shall prosper that love thee. Psalm 122:6
    Jesus is still King!
    Isn't it funny how so many people think that "science" can do anything and everything, but God (if they even acknowledge His existence) can't do much of anything? - Me

SuddenImpact is offline What's up there, anyway?
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Right now I'm just trying to get through high school in four years.
    Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.
    Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke

Seravee is offline Proud Texan
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I don't make plans for my life cause chance has a funny was of flipping your plans upside down.
    “Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
    Watch your words, for they become actions.
    Watch your actions, for they become habits.
    Watch your habits, for they become character.
    Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

"Praise the God of all, drink the wine, and let the world be the world."

Fang of Destruction - Interpreter of Condolence

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seravee View Post
    I don't make plans for my life cause chance has a funny was of flipping your plans upside down.
    Yeah, definitely. I used to try to plan my life out, but recently I've figured it's a better idea to just take things one step at a time. So many things are dependent on the state of my health it almost seems a waste of time to think about it.

I did decide that if I couldn't graduate in four years or my GPA was below a 3.5 or so, rather than graduating I'd get a GED. I'm pretty sure I won't be strong enough to attend any college but a local one, because first of all I doubt I'll be well enough to live on my own at eighteen, and secondly if I move somewhere else I'd have to go through the process of finding another doctor, and that just seems to be looking a gift horse in the mouth; I doubt I'll be able to find anyone who is such an expert in my condition as my doctor is.

I'd like to become something that makes use of my talents in biology and chemistry - hopefully in the field of engineering - and I want to get married (to someone I love) and have kids, though I haven't decided how many or whether they'd be biological, adopted, or a mixture. I think I'd like to start with a family earlier than my parents did, though - probably late twenties or so. But I also want to have time to travel without worrying about children.

I'm not sure whether I'll ever be fit to work full-time, but if my condition improves a bit I might manage a regular part-time job.
    Last edited by SuddenImpact; 01-10-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.
    Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuddenImpact View Post
    Yeah, definitely. I used to try to plan my life out, but recently I've figured it's a better idea to just take things one step at a time. So many things are dependent on the state of my health it almost seems a waste of time to think about it.
    Don't get too locked into the 'one step at a time' train of thought.

It took me 8 years to get my bachelor degree. That's what happens when you don't have someone else paying your way through college. After the first two years of engineering school, I ran out of money, couldn't stay enrolled full-time, and had to go into repament on my student loans. I would work awhile, save what I could, go enroll for a semester, and do it all over again. I was so consumed with the goal of obtaining my degree and then getting a job that once I got that job, I had made no plans for the next step. I went from working full-time and going to school full-time over a period of several years to going to work for only 8-10 hours per day with a starting wage that was a little over twice of what I had been accustomed. Not a bad situation after all of the hard work but, I had failed to set any goals beyond that step. I was so relieved at reaching that goal but, I didn't keep my energy channeled toward setting the next goal. I stagnated for two or three years before I got myself back on track.

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This may be a little out of place but, perhaps, it augments my other post in this thread.

In my next career, I'm thinking about being a semi-retired consultant. I had originally thought about retiring at age 60 but, he present economy has pushed my plans out by at least two years and with the feds potentially changing the retirement age, this may still change some.

I'm presently in a technology niche that depends upon old-timers with a strong experience base. At 47, I'm still considered to be a young man within this technolgy niche. I work with consultants that are ranging from 65 to 80 years old and are vast resources of knowledge. I'm considered to be knowledgable by many but, I constanly learn from these guys. They make me even more knowlegable. Even the oldest ones are still sharp, they love what they do, and have no problems passing their knowledge to us younger people. They stay involved and active in the professional community and are greatly respected by all. The oldest consultant with which I work literally wrote the book on the devices with which I work. When we get a new person in our group, we sit them at a desk, put his book in front of them, and say, "Learn this." For a man of his professional credentials, he is extremely humble. He generally preferres to be called by his first name.

Humility is offline Senior Operative
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You have all the time in the world so worry about it. If you put yourself on the clock you will only stress yourself out to the brink.

ironhorsedriver is offline Senior Operative
    Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My next step is retirement, 5 years and counting. If someone told me 10 years ago I'd be looking forward to getting older, well, you know. But I'm ready for 60 so I can do more things I want to do, without the Railroad getting in the way.

Political Views
    *Survey*
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Libertarian View Post
    Don't get too locked into the 'one step at a time' train of thought.

It took me 8 years to get my bachelor degree. That's what happens when you don't have someone else paying your way through college. After the first two years of engineering school, I ran out of money, couldn't stay enrolled full-time, and had to go into repament on my student loans. I would work awhile, save what I could, go enroll for a semester, and do it all over again. I was so consumed with the goal of obtaining my degree and then getting a job that once I got that job, I had made no plans for the next step. I went from working full-time and going to school full-time over a period of several years to going to work for only 8-10 hours per day with a starting wage that was a little over twice of what I had been accustomed. Not a bad situation after all of the hard work but, I had failed to set any goals beyond that step. I was so relieved at reaching that goal but, I didn't keep my energy channeled toward setting the next goal. I stagnated for two or three years before I got myself back on track.
    I just don't know what I'll be able to do! =/ Everything's all uncertain.
    Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Arthur C. Clarke

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast