1960's HIGH FLIGHT

Who here is old enough to remember when there were only three stations and some of them signed off in the early am with this …?
(Something sad about this. I just don’t know why?)

And if the stayed on the air for a few more hours and broadcast TODAY’S news, I would have thought it was a bad SciFi movie.

Always loved that poem and related it to my own experiences as a once-upon-a-time pilot!

1 Like

I’d never seen/heard it for a signoff, but I’m familiar with the poem. I understand that it was originally written by a British Spitfire pilot. I see in the opening frame of the video (I can’t watch it due to a chronic case of dial-up) an F-104 Starfighter; cool!

“High Flight,” by John Gillespie Magee Junior. A few months after creating this lyrical work of art, the brilliant young Spitfire pilot died in a tragic air accident. He was just nineteen.

I just saw some of this yesterday after I posted. I hadn’t realized he was so young or that he’d died. From what I read yesterday, he was actually an American, and flew with the RCAF in a Spitfire in England. The accident was a mid-air collision in a cloud.