350 million people have depression in world: WHO

More than 350 million people suffer from depression globally, the World Health Organization said, ahead of World Mental Health Day on Wednesday.
“It is not a disease of developed countries, it is a global phenomenon. It’s present in both genders and in rich and poor populations,” Dr Shekhar Saxena, head of the WHO’s mental health and substance abuse department, told reporters in Geneva.

350 million people have depression in world: WHO - FRANCE 24

Depression is nothing to laugh at but pardon me if I dislike organizations that want you to this or that. I am tired of those who want to prescribe pills or go to some idiot who will take your money and sit there talking stupidly while pushing nonsense.

The only point I agree on is that talking it out can be valuable if it is someone who cares about that person. Just because someone is depressed does not make them stupid.

While drugs can be a benefit, abuse is built into the system from those who want to prescribe drugs for everything.

I’m curious as to how severe the depression has to be before they are counted? Probably everyone suffers from some level of depression sometime in their lives, but not clinical depression. I know that some types of depression are due to an imbalance of body chemicals, and treatment with those chemicals is the only solution. But I think a lot of people are just given tranquilizers, when, possibly, the cause of depression could be dealt with.

[quote=“Susanna, post:2, topic:36506”]
But I think a lot of people are just given tranquilizers, when, possibly, the cause of depression could be dealt with.
[/quote]Bingo. Sure I believe that people suffer depression every once in a while although not suvere. Where I have a problem with are doctors or other "professionals who prescribe drugs or therapy when it is more to make money than help the individual.

Just as we see those who want to put children on drugs with ritalin or other mood behaviors

[quote=“samspade, post:1, topic:36506”]
More than 350 million people suffer from depression globally, the World Health Organization said, ahead of World Mental Health Day on Wednesday.
“It is not a disease of developed countries, it is a global phenomenon. It’s present in both genders and in rich and poor populations,” Dr Shekhar Saxena, head of the WHO’s mental health and substance abuse department, told reporters in Geneva.

350 million people have depression in world: WHO - FRANCE 24

Depression is nothing to laugh at but pardon me if I dislike organizations that want you to this or that. I am tired of those who want to prescribe pills or go to some idiot who will take your money and sit there talking stupidly while pushing nonsense.

The only point I agree on is that talking it out can be valuable if it is someone who cares about that person. Just because someone is depressed does not make them stupid.

While drugs can be a benefit, abuse is built into the system from those who want to prescribe drugs for everything.
[/quote]When drugs can be had, by claiming depression, surely people will claim to be depressed. Not everyone, of course, but many will. Look at California’s Medical Marijuana. Before the legalization of Medical Cannabis, you heard very few people claim use, based of medical issues. Most claimed they smoked it for social reasons, or kicks. Now, ever pothead in California has pain, depression, glaucoma, etc.

Since they started using it medically . . .