41 percent of college graduates are working in jobs that don't require a degree

A new survey has found that 41 percent of recent college graduates find themselves in work that does not require a college degree.
Accenture, one of the world’s largest consulting firms, surveyed 1,005 new workers who graduated in 2011 and 2012 (without going to graduate school) to compare job realities with the expectations of the class of 2013.
Of the recent graduates, 63 percent said they’ll need more training to get the job they desire, with 42 percent of those believing a graduate degree will help. Upcoming graduates don’t seem to agree, as only 18 percent say they’ll need graduate school.
“A solution is sorely needed to bridge the disconnect between employers that are concerned about college graduates being unprepared for available jobs and the graduates who feel overqualified for them,” said David Smith, senior managing director of Talent & Organization at Accenture.

41% of Recent College Graduates Overqualified for Work - HackCollege
I remember a local plant here that said people had to have a bachelor’s degree to even be looked at for a job. Not every job should require a degree and in fact I have heard some places prefer that people do not have a degree so that they can train them properly.

Well that’s depressing.

Stop getting degrees in stupid things and getting bad grades.

A lot of entry level jobs dont require degree but most companies require degrees for a certain level of promotions

53% of recent college graduates are un- or underemployed.

When (IF) the job market opens up again, the students that were willing to take the crappy jobs in order to do what it takes to have an income of any kind will most likely receive more interest from employers than the ones that thought they were too good to take those crappy jobs.

Technical degrees are the ones that are better at securing employment in a line of work that matches the degree.

Some companies won’t consider you for a position unless you have a degree, regardless of whether the position itself really requires a degree.

My mom wanted to become a teacher at the local high school, but then figured out that she would have to get a second masters degree. I think that’s pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, it gets to the point where the letters after your name mean a whole lot more that the information in your brain and/or the ability to present it to others.

[quote=“Susanna, post:7, topic:39294”]
Some companies won’t consider you for a position unless you have a degree, regardless of whether the position itself really requires a degree.
[/quote]Bingo. Where I worked a LUA lost his job because he did not have a degree although he had been there for many years. He was pushed out. The funny thing the degree did not have to be in mental heath.

[quote=“Susanna, post:9, topic:39294”]
Yeah, it gets to the point where the letters after your name mean a whole lot more that the information in your brain and/or the ability to present it to others.
[/quote]Yes and there are those who have degrees who can not find their back side. They have no practical sense.

Yeah. And there are those without degrees who can’t find their backside and have no education.

[quote=“BullsOnParade, post:12, topic:39294”]
Yeah. And there are those without degrees who can’t find their backside and have no education.
[/quote]You should know.

Mmkay.

Well, I have a sister who never finished high school who has a lot more smarts than another sister who has a masters degree.

That’s great. It’s also only one person.

Chances are in my opinion that college grads will be better employees

[quote=“BullsOnParade, post:16, topic:39294”]
That’s great. It’s also only one person.

Chances are in my opinion that college grads will be better employees
[/quote]Is this more of because you feel this rather than proven statistics?

This has been known for a long time:

College graduates score higher-paying jobs - Jan. 12, 2012

Stop trolling. College graduates are, on average, better educated, smarter, and better skilled laborers than those who did not go to college. A college degree is a certificate from an institution of learning that you have received a certain type of education.

It’s great that Susanna’s relative is smart. But college graduates are people who are educated in computer science, mathematics, science, technology, engineering…

What percent of mathematicians do you honestly think didn’t go to college? What about engineers?

[quote=“Trekky0623, post:18, topic:39294”]
This has been known for a long time:

College graduates score higher-paying jobs - Jan. 12, 2012

Stop trolling. College graduates are, on average, better educated, smarter, and better skilled laborers than those who did not go to college. A college degree is a certificate from an institution of learning that you have received a certain type of education.

It’s great that Susanna’s relative is smart. But college graduates are people who are educated in computer science, mathematics, science, technology, engineering…

What percent of mathematicians do you honestly think didn’t go to college?
[/quote]Since I hold two degrees that must make me better than you. Speaking of trolling you do it all the time.

Usually the people who are better for having degrees don’t go around bragging about their degrees. And I have a degree in mathematics and computer science from the University of Colorado.

Gah, you’re such a troll sometimes.