7 Reasons You Should NOT Participate in Operation Christmas Child

7 Reasons You Should NOT Participate in Operation Christmas Child
November 9, 2015

Emily Joy

Each and every year around this time, thousands of churches around the country participate in an organization called Operation Christmas Child. If you are unfamiliar with Operation Christmas Child, the gist is this: churches distribute pre-printed shoebox-sized cardboard boxes, which are then filled by families with toys, trinkets, and basic necessity items like toothbrushes and shipped off to children in non-first world countries so they can have something to open at Christmas time.

1. Supporting Operation Christmas Child means supporting the “ministry” of Franklin Graham.
And Franklin Graham, son of famed evangelist Billy Graham, appears to be making a valiant attempt to go down in history as the Donald Trump of theology. His Facebook and Twitterfeeds are a never-ending font of racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic and otherwise bigoted vitriol. …

4. The shoeboxes themselves are both racist and sexist.
The boxes handed out by churches come emblazoned with cartoon illustrations of barefoot Latino and African children the likes of which you might find in colonialist missionary hagiography or Party City Halloween catalogues. …

5. It’s not just a charity—it’s an evangelism machine for conservative Christianity.
Sure, you and your church may not include tracts or religious material along with the toys and toothbrushes you pack, but Operation Christmas Child absolutely does. And the literature they include is of Graham’s particular brand of Christianity—fundamentalist, conservative, and evangelical. …

The ignorance and bias this writer displayed is palpable, as is her actual agenda: The wrong sort of people should not be allowed to do charitable things, and when they do MUST BE SHUT DOWN!

So, how did that work out for her and her fellow ideologues? HEH!!!

Franklin Graham, Operation Christmas Child Sets New Record Delivering 11M Gifts to Children Worldwide
BY SAMUEL SMITH, CP REPORTER
December 29, 2015|3:57 pm

shoeboxes to underprivileged children in the impoverished Caribbean nations of Belize and Haiti.

On Monday, Graham, the president of the the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and the humanitarian organization Samaritan’s Purse, along with Van Susteren and her husband, John Coale, distributed shoeboxes filled with gifts for Operation Christmas Child.

Graham and Van Susteren also traveled to Haiti on Tuesday to hand out gift-filled shoeboxes to children in need at the Haiti-based Greta Home and Academy. Although it is unclear as to how many children in Haiti and Belize received the gift boxes, Graham posted on his Facebook page Monday night that the gifts brought happiness and hope into the underprivileged children’s lives.

After 10.5 million gift-filled shoeboxes were donated worldwide in 2014, Operation Christmas Child Domestic Director Randy Riddle told The Christian Post that as of Tuesday, over 11.2 million shoeboxes have been donated in 2015, which sets a new operation yearly record.

HEH!!!

i love doing the shoeboxes.

1. The shoeboxes themselves are both racist and sexist.
    The boxes handed out by churches come emblazoned with cartoon illustrations of barefoot Latino and African children the likes of which you might find in colonialist missionary hagiography or Party City Halloween catalogues.

Of course, these are the types of liberal elites that want to encourage African countries to practice population control.

…And stuff black neighborhoods with so many PPs there aren’t any daycares left.

Good God what a douchey article. It’s stuff like this (war on Christmas, suing over Nativity Scenes) and what’s going on at liberal universities that’s giving liberalism a bad name.

I may just declare myself independent next time I move and have to re-register.

Actually, this year was the first time we had any of the preprinted shoeboxes at our church. We wrap the shoeboxes ourselves - or bring them into the church and someone who does the job a whole lot better wraps them! and only a few that we sent out were the preprinted ones. I bet the recipients don’t give two hoots what’s on the outside - it’s what’s on the inside that interests them more.

Indeed, it is an evangelism “machine” for “conservative” Christianity. It is bringing the gospel and the love of Christ to those who have never heard. The Liberals hate that with a passion.

I just looked at the picture they posted of the supposed shoe box that is used - after one person commented that she worked in the OCC processing plant two years in a row, and said that she saw nothing like it there. Nor have I ever seen anything like it, either in the boxes distributed to be filled, or the pictures in the videos of processing them and the children receiving them.Truth is, the pre-printed boxes just have pictures of shoeboxes with wings.

For that matter, the picture they showed, claiming racism, had children of all races.

And while you’re at it, perhaps you could pick up a Thesaurus along the way?
Just a suggestion.

That the article used a purported pic of the shoe-boxes that may in fact be fake doesn’t surprise me. It’s becoming a reflex for me when a Lib/Prog talking-points article catches my attention to first fact-check it, to see if the claimed incident happened, and to see if significant information has been omitted. Pretty much the majority of the time it proves to be fake in some way or significant information has, indeed, been omitted.

I don’t know how much circulation the “7 Reasons” hit-piece got, but a FB friend’s daughter posted it on FB, so the second article in my OP caught my attention when I saw it on Christian Post. And I posted it on FB.

The author of the “7 Reasons …” article represents herself as a Christian, yet this is one of her “Reasons”:

5. It’s not just a charity—it’s an evangelism machine for conservative Christianity.
Sure, you and your church may not include tracts or religious material along with the toys and toothbrushes you pack, but Operation Christmas Child absolutely does. And the literature they include is of Graham’s particular brand of Christianity—fundamentalist, conservative, and evangelical. In every country where it is legal, Operation Christmas Child adds tracts and religious material promoting their narrow theological perspective—that all those who do not believe as they do will be eternally, consciously tormented in hell forever by God. Operation Christmas Child administrators on the ground are also provided with followup material that children are pressured to participate in, where they can be further indoctrinated into exclusivistic evangelical theology. The absolute last thing this organization is interested in is “just giving a child Christmas presents,” and those who say so are simply burying their heads in the sand.

Stripped of a few bogeyman adjectives, her complaint is that evangelistic outreach is part of OCC. I wonder whether “Emily Joy” has ever read theological liberals’ favorite passage in the Gospels, the Sermon on the Mount? In particular, these words taught by Jesus:

Matthew 5:13-16 “You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its flavor, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled on by people. You are the light of the world. A city located on a hill cannot be hidden. People do not light a lamp and put it under a basket but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before people, so that they can see your good deeds and give honor to your Father in heaven.

This teaching illustrates the fact that, while it is possible to distinguish, verbally, between good deeds and evangelism, in real life they are totally and completely intertwined.

For that matter, the picture they showed, claiming racism, had children of all races.

Indeed! While “Emily Joy” (possibly a nom de keyboard) only “saw” the black and Hispanic child, she didn’t “see” the East Asian or “White” child. Who’s the one with a blind-spot wrt race?

From the article:

Unfortunately, there are no organizations doing something similar to Operation Christmas Child but with a less theologically violent bent or headed up by a more compassionate and inclusive CEO. However, there are a multitude of options for families or churches who want to provide those living in poverty with things they actually need and teach their own children about generosity and global poverty at the same time.

I’m not sure what, “a less theologically violent bent,” means - beyond, “I vigorously disagree with them.” That aside, I think “Emily Joy” would have greater influence and possibly do more good (from her POV) were she to devote her enerhy to the creation of the kinds of hands-on charities she acknowledges don’t exist.

Both Oxfam and Heifer International provide the opportunity to purchase a goat or other livestock for a family in need, which will in turn enable them to have a source of food and income for many months to come. Sure, it’s not as hands-on as filling a shoebox, but most of the kids I know would get SUPER excited about buying a goat for someone.

I’m pretty sure both are Christian-based orgs, and at least to some degree, bringing the gospel to people in need is part of their purpose.

And of course, if you are looking to do some good with the gifts you purchase for your own friends and family, please consider supporting Joelle’s organization, Badala. Badala employs women in Africa so they are able to rise above poverty. They sell the products that they make, and the profits serve to help the women start businesses and educate orphans. Badala’s products can be found here, and they are seriously gorgeous besides being part of a lasting legacy of justice and empowerment.

Looks like one of “Emily Joy’s” friends is actually doing hands-on work, no doubt with a worldview close to that of “Emily Joy”. Very well … seriously, I do mean that. There are also many Christian orgs “out there” doing just that same kind of hands-on relief, economic empowerment, and social change (e.g. helping victims of sex trafficking) work.

Maybe when “Emily Joy” has an org accomplishing as much as just one such Christian org she’s earned a right to snipe at other charitable orgs. And maybe by then she’ll have learned that: need will always exceed resources to aid; every charitable org’s work is imperfect and incomplete, her own included.

IMO, it’s no coincidence that “Emily Joy” took the easy road of sniping at an aid org rather than doing the hard work of forming and running one (Franklin Graham founded Samaritan’s Purse and started OCC well before he became head of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, so he’s been there, done that).

You know, I find it hard to determine which is the greater:

1. Liberal’s love of poverty, or
  2. Liberal"s hate of Christianity!:whistle:

Is there a particular reason why you capitalized “thesaurus”?

nope

If she were referring to Roget’s Thesaurus, then capitalizing would be correct. Most of us have used Roget’s. Most likely she has seen it capitalized more, because of that.
What damned difference does it make?

Back in the caveman days they liked to point out things so as one fellow said to the other well there is Thesaurus standing over there and on the other side is a cave.

I was once chased through the woods by a vicious thesaurus. It had teeth almost as long as a tyrannosaurus, too!

Obviously none. It was his cutesy attempt to deflect from his potty mouth. Either that, or he thinks a thesaurus is used to correct grammar and/or spelling, so he decided to attempt to correct mine. lol