8 crazy things Americans believe about foreign policy

8 crazy things Americans believe about foreign policy | FP Passport

[LIST]
[*] 41 percent of Americans believe China is the world’s leading economic power, according to a 2012 Pew poll (the correct answer is the United States, which 40 percent of respondents in the Pew poll selected)
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] 73 percent of Americans could not identify communism as America’s main concern during the Cold War, according to Newsweek, which administered an official citizenship test in 2011 (admittedly, it’s not entirely clear what if any alternative answers – the Soviet Union? Nuclear weapons? – the magazine accepted)
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] 9 percent of Americans frequently worry about becoming a victim of terrorism, according to a 2011 AP-GfK poll (Reason magazine has calculated that the chances of being killed by a terrorist are roughly one in 20 million, and that “in the last five years you were four times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a terrorist”)
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]Nearly 25 percent of Americans don’t know that the United States declared its independence from Great Britain, according to a 2011 Marist poll
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] 71 percent of Americans believe Iran already has nuclear weapons, according to a 2010 CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll (Israel, the United States, and the International Atomic Energy Agency would beg to differ)
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] The average American thinks that the United States spends 27 percent of the federal budget on foreign aid, according to a 2010 World Public Opinion poll (the figure is more like 1 percent)
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*] 33 percent of Americans believed Saddam Hussein was personally involved in 9/11 as late as 2007, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll (it’s worth noting that the number was down from 53 percent in 2003, and that more recent polls suggest the percentage has continued to decline since 2007)
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]88 percent of young Americans couldn’t find Afghanistan on a map, 75 percent couldn’t locate Iran or Israel, and 63 percent couldn’t identify Iraq, according to a 2006 Roper Public Affairs/National Geographic Society poll
[/LIST]

No surprise.

Voter turnout also reflects an American public largely happy with its existence, while quite comfortable that knowledge of the above mentioned survey questions is largely irrelevant to their daily life. Such data only reinforces the valid objections to democracy as a form of governance, and does much to explain why the Founding Fathers didn’t entertain the idea of forming one. de Tocqueville wouldn’t be surprised.

On the other hand, I’m not at all sure one would get much better results surveying the citizenry of other nation’s peoples, either, and be even more alarmed at some of the notions they held.

Jimmy Kimmel interviewed folks yesterday BEFORE the debates asking this questions:

Who do you think won the debate LAST NIGHT?

Several said Obama did

Betcha they’re likely voters too when the pollsters call! :frowning:

I saw Howard Stern completely flip-flop Obama’s political views with Romney’s and ask people on the street whether they supported their policies. For example; they asked random people “Do you support Obama’s anti-abortion stance?” and soooo many people said yes.

They asked people “Do you support Romney’s pro-abortion stance?” and soooo many people said no, no they’re against that. Holy crap I can’t believe these people coexist with me. Sheeple indeed.

They walk among us.

Wowwwwww. The one that really blew my mind was the independence from Britain one.

Agreed. The other is how they couldn’t find the ME countries on a map! I whish these people would just stay home and never vote until their IQ was over 70.

It would be nice if they taught real history in the public schools. And real current events. Instead, they teach what they wish history was, and for current events, Obama worship.

I know some of you are laughing at this…We shouldn’t though. This tells us about the education system of our country. We are now a country of sound bites and talking points…This is how we ended up electing a President no one knew anything about other then he was black. I know we all like to act like somehow these idiots are not worth much yet these idiots are the ones picking our leaders. This is why progressives are so hellbent on keeping our education system… And no libertarians not having a education system is not better.

Im not surprised about this part.

Men — 83% — are more likely than women — 68% — to know that the United States declared its independence from Great Britain.

7/1: Independence Day — Seventeen Seventy When? | Home of the Marist Poll: Pebbles and Pundits

Ever since the feds took over Amereicas schools its been downhill. They have been dumbed down to the point no one fails and no one really passes.

[quote=“17Oaks, post:12, topic:36631”]
Ever since the feds took over Amereicas schools its been downhill. They have been dumbed down to the point no one fails and no one really passes.
[/quote] If you think it just the fed your mistaken…Ever sense Progressives took over the schools its been down hill…

You are right look who they are run by!

Few years ago I sold my house in Scottsdale AZ. It was bought by the Principal of a local public school.

About a 3 months later I get a frantic call telling me the pool pump is making all kinds of noise and the pool is not working properly, been that way for a couple of weeks and I need to come over and fix it.

I tell I will and that the pool is new along with all the equipment and to not worry if the pump has gone out then it will be covered by its warranty as it was less than a year old.

I arrive later that afternoon and meet him there…I SHOULD have taken a pic: The pool was OUT of water. The summer sun have evaped and he never NEVER filled the pool. I asked him why he had not filled the pool? “I did not know I had to”

He and his sweethearts I guess were having too hot and too heavy sex-capades around the pool to even notice. The neighbors hated me for selling my house to some GAY sex club. Turns out his sex parties were more like outside orgies.

Yep, Phd in some school subject to make him a Principal. Cannot tell you have many times he has called over the years with some dumber questions…like “how do I get hot water if there is no hot water heater I can find anywhere?” I had installed a tankless unit and in fact had showed it to him…

This just proves that real geopolitics isn’t taught in schools! If you really want to learn geopolitics a US MILITARY HISTORY COURSE should be required, not just up as an elective, because most kids don’t take those classes. I had to take one when I was in ROTC.

It really depends on the individual school. I went to 2 different private christian schools that were awful both in educational and Christian values and then I went to a pubic high school which had great educational and Christian values.

True words. There are very good school and then there are those in Dallas for example.

9 percent of Americans frequently worry about becoming a victim of terrorism, according to a 2011 AP-GfK poll (Reason magazine has calculated that the chances of being killed by a terrorist are roughly one in 20 million, and that “in the last five years you were four times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a terrorist”)

People are scared of being in a terrorist attack because it’s scary and terrifying and if you were in one, would include terrible suffering, not because it’s likely. Same thing with shark attacks, or plane crashes, or being robbed, or being kidnapped, whatever.

Two things scare me in this world. Clowns and the dark.

[quote=“Seravee, post:19, topic:36631”]
Two things scare me in this world. Clowns and the dark.
[/quote] What about being in the dark with clowns?