98 Major Advertisers Dump Rush Limbaugh

From today’s TRI Newsletter: Premiere Networks is circulating a list of 98 advertisers who want to avoid “environments likely to stir negative sentiments.” The list includes carmakers (Ford, GM, Toyota), insurance companies (Allstate, Geico, Prudential, State Farm) and restaurants (McDonald’s, Subway). As you’ll see in the note below, those “environments” go beyond the Rush Limbaugh show

They’ve specifically asked that you schedule their commercials in dayparts or programs free of content that you know are deemed to be offensive or controversial (for example, Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Tom Leykis, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity).

link

Damn. All of this over calling a girl a slut. It’s really quite incredible. He’s said so many other controversial things. Women really are powerful in our society.

And the woman in question is a lying slut, too.

I haven’t really followed the story.

I head that she spent $3000 on contraception, does any one know what kinds of contraception she was using?

Also, I wouldn’t venture as far as calling her a slut, simply because I don’t know her. For all we know she could have been with the same person for those 3 years.

Look like the advertisers that have dumped Rush Limbaugh have lost a lot of money just over dropping him as an advertiser.

‘Everything’s Cool’: Limbaugh Says Media Reports About His Advertisers Are Misleading | TheBlaze.com
» The lesson of Carbonite - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion

What we do know is that she made some ridiculous claims about the cost of birth control while testifying to congress to elicit sympathy for the case to force Catholic organizations to provide health care which covers contraception. By making those claims before congress, she has opened herself up to ridicule, insult and mockery on par with what conservative women in the spotlight receive.

The actual costs of various methods of contraception are discussed at some length in various threads, if you care to look it up. Suffice it to say that a woman who has to spend $1000 a year on birth control is pretty obviously sexually active far far far beyond the bounds of mere promiscuity…

since when did he have 98 advertizers? these are advertizers who will not finance his program. most never did to begin with. media innuendo is amazing eh?

If I understand correctly, they were not his advertisers, but said they would never advertise with him. Probably, the real reason was that he would never have them, anyway!

Radio advertisers’ sensibilities date to the first commercial ad on radio, so this is an attempt at a tempest in a teapot. That I know of, 7 (seven) advertisers pulled their national ads from Rush’s show. Here is a list, with contact info should you want to express your opinion on their move:

Sleep Train - customerservice@sleeptrain.com
Sleep Number - Sleep Number Beds and Mattress by Sleep Number
Legal Zoom - Ask A Question - LegalZoom
Citrix - (corporate PR person) eric.armstrong@citrix.com
Quicken Loans - Comment Card https://secure.opinionlab.com/ccc01/comment_card.asp?time1=1331126442566&time2=1331126487939&prev=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quickenloans.com%2F%3Fqls%3DMBR_QL000001.0000536097%26ef_id%3DYqtNYahWeXIAAA1z%3A20120307132023%3As&referer=http%3A%2F% 2Fwww.quickenloans.com%2Fabout%2Fcontact&height=768&width=1366&custom_var=vcpmp4fbl4aqjd53eirvj1rsc3|undefined
Carbonite - Carbonite Knowledge Base
Pro Flowers - Contact Us

Rush’s show does not deal with or know the particulars of local advertisers who may or may not have requested that their ads not play during Rush’s show. One, Sleep Train, tried to change their mind, but Rush said, “No!” Rush respects his listeners, and I suspect his advertisers will be learning a similar respect from this kerfuffle. Rush is just a “Harmless little fuzzball”. Rush’s show is doing fine as to national advertisers. Libs and Progs, however, have been prophesying the demise of his national show since 1988; some day they’ll be right … he is mortal … or he may decide to retire …

So, how’d that boycott of Rush work out for boycotter Carbonite? have a look-see:

Carbonite CEO: Dropping Rush Limbaugh Hurt Revenue More than Expected

by Tony Lee 3 Aug 2012

When Media Matters helped organize the Stop Rush boycott pressuring corporations to pull advertisements from Rush Limbaugh’s show, the online file storage company Carbonite was one of the first big names to give in.

Now, as William Jacobson of the “Legal Insurrection” blog noted, Carbonite’s CEO David Friend conceded on a conference call that dropping Limbaugh deeply hurt the company’s earnings.

“It turned out to be a bigger hole in our revenue than we had thought when we initially did this,” Friend said on a conference call on August 1.

In fact, as Jacobson wrote, Carbonite’s 2nd Quarter 2012 results shocked analysts, causing the company’s stock price to plummet by 15% in one day.

Due to some personal business yesterday, I actually had a radio on in the 9-10AM PDT time-frame, and just in case anyone here is wondering, Rush is still on the air.

Because advertisers don’t care. They pull out during a PR nightmare and come back once it’s blown over. They couldn’t care less about Rush’s content. All they care about is who and how many people he reaches.

Maybe a regular Limbaugh listener can provide more accurate info, but I don’t think Carbonite came back. As noted above, Sleep Train tried to, but was refused. As you said, advertisers, within some limits, care about people reached, not content. MMfA tried to persuade Rush advertisers that he violated those limits, in an effort to hurt Limbaugh and start the ball rolling to drive him into obscurity or off the air. The nice way of saying what happened would be that MMfA’s effort was an abject failure. And, yes, I am gloating.

I wonder if Sleep Train’s quarterly numbers are online …

Full text of the Carbonite CEO’s comments are here…along with more analysis. I’m sure the stockholders are happy. /sarc!

Carbonite CEO admits dropping Limbaugh hurt growth more than expected

One more Liberal boycott, one more epic failure.

When Liberals turn on you in a very public way it is a guaranteed blessing.

I was thinking yesterday evening that MMfA could bill Rush for advertising his show. Given Rush’s sense of humor, he might pay it.

I bet he would, if nothing else just to have the cancelled check that he could frame for his wall!

Honestly, if I was a company I wouldn’t push for advertisement on Rush’s show. The guy just feeds lunacy and goes off the deep-end consistently. He’s clearly in it for the ratings and while I don’t blame him for that, it disappoints me that people would actually take him seriously on any level.

Come on, he tried linking the villain of the new Batman film to our current political quandary over Bain Capital–he’s just outright obscene at times in his quackiness.

[quote=“The_Progress_of_Pain, post:16, topic:33898”]
Honestly, if I was a company I wouldn’t push for advertisement on Rush’s show. The guy just feeds lunacy and goes off the deep-end consistently. He’s clearly in it for the ratings and while I don’t blame him for that, it disappoints me that people would actually take him seriously on any level.

Come on, he tried linking the villain of the new Batman film to our current political quandary over Bain Capital–he’s just outright obscene at times in his quackiness.
[/quote]No more than libertarians who have shows that depend on ratings. Do you think Stossel would be on the Fox Network if his rating were not good? Does Stossel try to be controversial? The answer is yes.

Yes but he tries to be controversial in more interesting and intelligent ways, granted I don’t watch much television these days. He doesn’t just randomly spat out over radio about how the enemy of a film somehow correlates to a political issue–when there is actually, literally, no connection at all. That is someone desperately reaching and trying to keep an enraged group raging over any tiny thing he can possibly fine. In fact, it is downright scary at times what he’ll get his flock frothing over.

You lack credibility when you claim that Limbaugh “feeds lunacy”, because of the tens of millions that listen to him. By the numbers, he has a mainstream gig. You might as well claim the CBS Evening News feeds lunacy. (By the numbers, though, quite a bit less of it.)

They probably do. I don’t know how me stating the obvious makes me lack credibility. When you pander to a crowd like he does, making abstract points and trying to connect dots that just aren’t there you’re just feeding a ravenous beast at that point and lack legitimacy as a collected, intelligent party.