A black journalist makes some sense out of Dorner's rampage

Here is some words of wisdom about Dorner and the reasons he went on a rampage.

Dorner – Another Angry Fatherless Black Man With a Gun - Larry Elder - [page]

Dorner has achieved Martyrdom in the "hood’.

Yeah…and because he’s black, he’ll be hailed as some kind of hero. This is the kind of male they hold up to their young to be emulated. Too-pack wasn’t enough.

Because all blacks live in the hood? You’re a class act dude.

No because all black hoodlums live in the hood.

Let watch it people. You are all walking the line. Bad kids are everywhere as are good people Economic statues nor place of residence does not determine ones character.

No, I never said all blacks live in the hood, or that all blacks in the hood see him as a martyr. Maybe I should have worded it different. How’s this, “Dorner has achieved martyrdom among black hoodlums in the hood”, no that doesn’t fit either, some black hoodlums live in gated communities, and all who recognize him as a martyr aren’t black. How’s this, Take it any way you want too, I don’t care how you take it, and I’m not trying to be a class act anyway.

Seravee: I understand what you’re saying. However, the topic of this thread has to do with blacks in particular. I understand that for many people this is a topic that shouldn’t be discussed. But, if we don’t, things will never EVER get any better. Hiding our heads in the sand isn’t going to resolve the problems plaguing the black neighborhoods. And yes, there is no question that bad elements are found in every ethnic and racial group. I can attest to that (being a 2nd generation Italian).

This journalist is honest enough to even ask the question about what is really happening in black neighborhoods! Do you realize the names he’s going to be called by his own people because of this? Any black conservative, male and female alike, who has the courage to speak the truth is shunned and worse by his own community. I don’t like name-calling either–I’ve been called plenty in my life time. They hurt. But, I honestly do not see that here. I’m going to do some research and find some bonafide statistics for all to read.

Here are some interesting statistics:

Poverty rates are highest for families headed by single women, particularly if they are black or Hispanic. In 2009, 29.9% of households headed by single women were poor, while 16.9% of households headed by single men and 5.8% of married-couple households lived in poverty.

At 43%, the Hispanic illegitimacy rate is twice the white rate, and Hispanic women have abortions at 2.7 times the white rate.

Per capita income of Hispanics is one-half that of non-Hispanic whites, and household net worth is less than one-tenth.

50% of Hispanic households use some form of welfare, the highest rate of any major population group.

Hispanics are 3.3 times more likely to be in prison than whites; they are 4.2 times more likely to be in prison for murder, and 5.8 times more likely to be in prison for felony drug crimes.

Young Hispanics are 19 times more likely than young whites (and slightly more likely than young blacks) to be in youth gangs.

Hispanics drop out of high school at three times the white rate and twice the black rate.

From 1992 to 2003, Hispanic illiteracy in English rose from 35% to 44%.

The average Hispanic 12th-grader reads and does math at the level of the average white 8th-grader.

At 72%, the African-American illegitimacy rate is 3 times the white rate, and Hispanic women have abortions at 3 times the white rate.

Per capita income of African-Americans is less than one-half that of non-Hispanic whites, and non-Hispanic Caucasians have 11 times the asset wealth.

Forty-seven of African-American households use some form of welfare, the second highest rate of any major population group.

Blacks are 5.0 times more likely to be in prison than whites; they are 8.0 times more likely to be in prison for murder, and 5.0 times more likely to be in prison for felony drug crimes.

Young African-Americans are 27 times more likely than young whites (and slightly more likely than young Hispanics) to be in youth gangs.

The African-American drop out rate is 53%.

The African-American literacy rate is 38.1%.

50% of African Americans and Hispanics read at or below the 5th grade reading level.

CITATIONS:

#1: Population Division, US Census Bureau, “Table 3: Annual Estimates of the Population by Sex, Race and Hispanic or Latino Origin for the United States: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2005” (NC-EST2005-03), (Washington, DC: USCB, 2006).

#2: Carolyn Lochhead, “Give and Take Across the Border,” San Francisco Chronicle, May 21, 2006.

#3: Robert Suro, “Attitudes Toward Immigrants and Immigration Policy” (Washington, DC: Pew Hispanic Center, 2005).

#4: US Census Bureau, Population Division, Current Population Survey, March 2005 [Computer file], (Washington, DC: USCB, 2005)

There are the raw, unbiased statistics. How do we go about fixing that?

[quote=“BullsOnParade, post:4, topic:38224”]
You’re a class act dude.
[/quote]Attacking the person instead of the argument . . . again?

[quote=“BullsOnParade, post:4, topic:38224”]
Because all blacks live in the hood?
[/quote]Using a one-liner sound bite in lieu of a sound argument . . . again?

(~shakes head~)

Those stats are correct but beating a dead horse isn’t going to fix it. We know the problem within our culture. Others repeating it does nothing to solve it and makes it worse.

Agreed Seravee, but ignoring it or applying ridiculous and costly solutions to “fix” it just makes it worse. We have to first recognize the problem and what causes it before we can successfully attempt to turn back the tide. I doubt very much if most Americans, black or white, realize the enormity of the problems in urban areas because they’re too afraid to say anything for fear of being called racists. Raw statistics takes the emotion out of the issue.

I don’t care where any man grew up or if he had a daddy or not.
Killin someone elses innocent child is a demonic act.

**That poor kid did nothing to this animal. **
I hope God has a speacail place in hell for that man. :angry26:

RIP to that little girl.

There is a problem with lumping all “Hispanics” together, too.

Agreed…lumping together any group of people is problematic.

Well, I was thinking in particular about the big gap between Mexicans and Cubans.

Yes. When I first moved to south Florida and got a job teaching in a school that was 98% Cuban, I was rather shocked at the difference. Being from Chicago, I am used to the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans with darker complexions and dark hair. Cubans have blonde hair, blue eyes, and very light skin. (Some are darker skinned, but most are not.) I remember one little boy who looked just like Beaver Cleaver with freckles and blue eyes! Delightful people! It was the one experience I treasure from living in Florida. I would love to see Rubio run for president in 2016. I don’t know how much of a chance he’d have, but he is typical of what the Cuban population is like in South Florida.