A Far Left View of Unites States History

I have been posting on another site which is dominated by a Trump hating bully. In between his anti-Trump rants, he has some lucid moments when he presents his views in more reasonable manner.

Here is his view of the entire history of The United States. It sums up the goal of the far left, which is increasingly becoming the core of the Democratic Party.

_As far as the military goes, I personally did not serve but many members of my family served in every branch of the military during wars and peacetime. I don’t believe that other people hate us for our freedoms. That is just propaganda spoon fed to the masses to cover up the fact the since this country’s founding, we are the most war-like people on the planet. No other country even comes close to the history of war we have amassed in our short time as a nation (**footnote below). That is in all likelihood the reason other countries might find us a threat, not that we have freedom.

You want proof of our aggressive nature? How about the indisputable historical fact that America has been at war 93% of the time - 222 out of 239 years - since 1776. If you think that those wars were in the past, consider that we currently are in the longest ongoing war in our Nation’s history. We simply just don’t call them wars anymore nor do we bother to follow Article One, Section Eight of the Constitution that gives Congress and Congress alone the power to declare war. This country spends more on “defense” (a misnomer) than the next dozen country’s combined and many of those countries are our allies. Lest we forget that we are the last remaining Superpower with the ability to end all life on the planet. So I don’t think it is our freedoms that make other countries hate us. Hatred stems from fear, and there seems to be a long war-like history and plenty of current reasons to fear America.
_

Here is his footnote

_**To put this in perspective:

• Pick any year since 1776 and there is about a 91% chance that America was involved in some war during that calendar year.

• No U.S. president truly qualifies as a peacetime president. Instead, all U.S. presidents can technically be considered “war presidents.”

• The U.S. has never gone a decade without war.

• The only time the U.S. went five years without war (1935-40) was during the isolationist period of the Great Depression.
    _

This is the point of view that we are facing from our opposition. I would called it “a bloodless revolution.” You feed this stuff to the younger generation, and then you re-make the country.

As large superpowers go, we are angels.

Only the US could save Europe from Germany circa 1940. Only the US could save the Far East from Japan at the same time.

After defeating these monumental enemies, we packed up and went home. All the other great powers would’ve seized territory.

Only the US could save the world from the advancing Russian war machine. In 1945 Stalin was eager to invade Europe.

“America has been at war 93% of the time.” Could this be more lame? Most of the war is defensive. We defend the rest of the world from the bad guys.

It depends on the era; I’d say it’s more like we had growing pains where we had to try out the bad things before we figured out why they were boneheaded.

We invited the War of 1812 from a British Empire that didn’t want to fight us.

We blatantly got into the Spanish-American war for territory.

We pushed our soldiers to fight at the behest of corporate interests during the Banana Republic wars.
(Look up Major General Smedley Butler; after he retired, he wrote quite passionately in War is a Racket that he had been a strongman for fruit companies).

Suffice it to say, his argument is claptrap. The fact that we’re at war so much of the time has nothing to do with aggression. We haven’t chosen every war wisely, but by and large, we were finishing fights, not starting them.