A glimpse into our future?

Those wacky Brits are problem solving again and I’m afraid they’re going to give our home grown wacko’s ideas. No offence to our resident British members. I heard this on the “Wilkow Majority” this afternoon. The 3rd Amendment says soldiers, not homeless.

<H1>Let’s take the housing fight to wealthy owners with empty spare rooms

The hidden truth about our housing crisis is that it is driven by under-occupation
[LIST]
[]George Monbiot
[
]The Guardian, Tuesday 4 January 2011
[/LIST]There are two housing crises in Britain. One of them is obvious and familiar: the walloping shortfall in supply. Households are forming at roughly twice the rate at which new homes are being built. In England alone, 650,000 homes are classed as overcrowded. Many other people are desperate to move into their own places, but find themselves stuck. Yet the new homes the government says we need – 5.8m by 2033 – threaten to mash our landscapes and overload the environment.

The other crisis is scarcely mentioned. I stumbled across it while researching last week’s column, buried on page 33 of a government document about another issue. It’s growing even faster than the first crisis – at a rate that’s hard to comprehend. Yet you’ll seldom hear a squeak about it in the press, in parliament, in government departments or even in the voluntary sector. Given its political sensitivity, perhaps that’s not surprising.

The issue is surplus housing – the remarkable growth of space that people don’t need. Between 2003 and 2008 (the latest available figures), there was a 45% increase in the number of under-occupied homes in England. The definition of under-occupied varies, but it usually means that households have at least two bedrooms more than they require. This category now accounts for over half the homes in which single people live, and almost a quarter of those used by larger households. Nearly 8m homes – 37% of the total housing stock – are officially under-occupied.

</H1>

Let’s take the housing fight to wealthy owners with empty spare rooms | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

So I guess all their problems would be solved if they just have the government confiscate all property and assign each person a room.

Every “problem” has a Nazi solution to a Liberal.

I don’t suppose removing government roadblocks like regulation and astronomical permit fees and property taxes from the people to encourage the building of more homes will not even be suggested as a possible “solution”.

Word of advice to the jack asses who want to implement this nonsense: STUDY THE ECONOMIC HISTORY OF THE SOVIET UNION.

Q.E.D.

[Sarcasm]How about giving a tax break to people whose houses are full of permanent residents, and increase the taxes of people whose houses are relatively empty?[/Sarcasm]

???

So we should punish people for being successful enough to choose a home with more space than they need for regular daily use?

When a family who raises children who then grow up and move out to begin their own lives their parents should be punished for not moving to a smaller home?

Everyone should live in a house that has exactly the amount of rooms that they require?

All visitors must “bring their own tent”? Those pesky kids and grandkids should just stay away?

A sewing room or home office is just cause to bring the sword of the tax man down upon your head?

You might want to rethink this “solution”, punishing success is the quickest way to assure that most will never succeed.

How about leaving people that are in a home they can afford and like alone?

It was a joke, it was not meant to be take seriously. it was meant to be satire.

[quote=“The Evil Conservative, post:7, topic:28792”]
It was a joke, it was not meant to be take seriously. it was meant to be satire.
[/quote]:eusa_think: A sarcasm tag would have helped.

Yep, to a sense I was also trying to give them Ideas, so the Idiots in Britain who does that Idea get kicked out of Office.

Added Sarcasm tag.