A Less Than Informed Electorate

I’ll be very brief. For a long time I have made my thinking clear - that in order to have and preserve a functioning representative form of government it is necessary to have an informed electorate. I have also made it clear that I do not think we have an informed electorate - and I have pointed out examples of why I think that to be true.

That said, I think it is important that we understand WHY we have a majority of voters so easily manipulated by members of our political class.

As I see it, there are at least two reasons why voters elected to ignore the facts on the ground and to continue on our present fiscal course last year.

First - our schools have now been run by the Left for 3 to 4 decades, at least. More so in our colleges and universities - but high school education has naturally been impacted, too. People learn what they have been exposed to. To a very large extent - If you control the education system; what people learn - you have taken a giant step toward controlling them with respect to how they define their experiences and give meaning to their surroundings. For example, if you have been taught that people are routinely victimized by business/the “rich”, it makes it to easy to justify taxing the hell out of the more successful among us while ignoring the fact that a very small % of the workforce pays the vast majority of this nation’s tax burden and nearly 1/2 pay no tax on income.

Second, our form of government requires a vigilant, inquisitive press/media (call it what you will). It has been clear for a long time that the Left holds sway over most of the major sources of news in America. Fast and Furious, Benghazi, Obamacare - under-reporting/lack of reporting/soft questions/lack of follow up - examples abound. Why does this matter? Read sentence #3 in the preceding paragraph. If Benghazi or Fast & Furious is largely played off as a “non-story” and the hard questions not asked by most media sources, it makes it much easier for our government officials to lie and “stonewall” when information is sought.

On our present course, we will have a debt that our GDP will NOT allow us to service within 10 years - not and pay for the consitutionally required actions of our federal government - such as, national defense. Continuing to borrow and also print what now amounts to little more than “Monopoly Money” will only hasten the demise. And then there is Obamacare - which isn’t care at all, only an ill advised, unaffordable insurance ponzi scheme that will not work because it cannot work.

I’m not sure I see a way out of this. However, we had best come up with a way - and FAST!!

Schools~ Check
Media~ Check
Military~ in progress…

No, the left aren’t like Communist Russia at all.

[quote=“MDMikeB, post:1, topic:38560”]
I’ll be very brief. For a long time I have made my thinking clear - that in order to have and preserve a functioning representative form of government it is necessary to have an informed electorate. I have also made it clear that I do not think we have an informed electorate - and I have pointed out examples of why I think that to be true.

That said, I think it is important that we understand WHY we have a majority of voters so easily manipulated by members of our political class.

As I see it, there are at least two reasons why voters elected to ignore the facts on the ground and to continue on our present fiscal course last year.

First - our schools have now been run by the Left for 3 to 4 decades, at least. More so in our colleges and universities - but high school education has naturally been impacted, too. People learn what they have been exposed to. To a very large extent - If you control the education system; what people learn - you have taken a giant step toward controlling them with respect to how they define their experiences and give meaning to their surroundings. For example, if you have been taught that people are routinely victimized by business/the “rich”, it makes it to easy to justify taxing the hell out of the more successful among us while ignoring the fact that a very small % of the workforce pays the vast majority of this nation’s tax burden and nearly 1/2 pay no tax on income.

Second, our form of government requires a vigilant, inquisitive press/media (call it what you will). It has been clear for a long time that the Left holds sway over most of the major sources of news in America. Fast and Furious, Benghazi, Obamacare - under-reporting/lack of reporting/soft questions/lack of follow up - examples abound. Why does this matter? Read sentence #3 in the preceding paragraph. If Benghazi or Fast & Furious is largely played off as a “non-story” and the hard questions not asked by most media sources, it makes it much easier for our government officials to lie and “stonewall” when information is sought.

On our present course, we will have a debt that our GDP will NOT allow us to service within 10 years - not and pay for the consitutionally required actions of our federal government - such as, national defense. Continuing to borrow and also print what now amounts to little more than “Monopoly Money” will only hasten the demise. And then there is Obamacare - which isn’t care at all, only an ill advised, unaffordable insurance ponzi scheme that will not work because it cannot work.

I’m not sure I see a way out of this. However, we had best come up with a way - and FAST!!
[/quote]I do agree we have a less than informed electorate, though I imagine we disagree on who we’re talking about.

But I am curious. What is your solution to the problems of the supposed “left indoctrinating students and media”? How do you propose to solve this problem you believe you’ve identified?

Mike…you left off a big one…the entitlement society. It ain’t just NOT paying taxes…it’s not working and living off the government in one way or another. I INCLUDE SS & Medicare in this even though many here will say “it aint an entitlement…we paid for it.” … ummm…no you didn’t…not for all of it. You’re gonna USE a WHOLE LOT MORE than you put in…so YOUR benefits must also be a part of any solution (at least minimally without losing the safety net.)

There’s another factor here too…hopelessness. Many jobs have RIGHTFULLY left the country and moved to where they may be accomplished more efficiently by cheaper humans or better machines. They ain’t coming back. The KNOWLEDGE economy has also discovered it’s cheaper globally to provide tech support or read x-rays offshore. We keep being told that we must be better educated and we must “INVEST” (note…translation:spend my tax $$'s) in a better educated work force. One little problem. Half the workforce is not SMART ENOUGH to benefit from more education… and there probably aren’t enough “smart jobs” for all of the rest of the workforce. This is a SEA CHANGE that posits an America where high unemployment is the new norm. Where we simply have too many unqualified AND qualified human beings for the work available…and the number needed decreases every year as an inverse function of Moores law.
Of course this all may be BS and a new industry will arise out of the ashes that allows a new middle class to form… but this must be taken on faith while the evidence around us leads to a more pessimistic conclusion. Happy thoughts to ya! :smiley:

Right you are, Cam. A government can’t give you what they don’t first take from someone else.

Slyfox - The solution is obvious - elect a majority of fiscal conservatives; conservatives bold enough to actually move legislation to reform our tax structure - either a flat tax or a consumption tax of some kind. A top to bottom review of our regulatory regime must be accomplished and many regulations need to be removed - those that serve only to protect certain entities and stymie growth uneccesarily. We have to encourage job creation outside of government. Obamacare must go in the crapper. We must reform entitlements - people live 20 yrs longer on average than they did in 1937 - the math isn’t working - hasn’t for several decades. Age requirements have to be adjusted, at the minimum. Of course, there are other things we could do, but you get the idea. Not that you will understand it or agree - which is of no great moment for me.

Now, please read my final sentence from my post. It isn’t that we don’t know what to do - the point is I don’t see any way in hell we get into a position to make the changes that must be made. I think there is a far better chance that we stumble along as a nation until one day we wake up and its all coming apart with no way to stop it. I’m livid that my son, his wife and my granddaughters are going to be the ones that pay the price for this BS.