A NEW and INTERESTING PROJECT

That glassed in back porch sounds like an ideal place to grow orchids in your climate. I lived down in Orlando for a few years about 30 years back, and had them growing on a regular screened back porch all year round. They would thrive in the mild winter there, blooming their silly heads off, and go a bit dormant in the summer heat. I sounds to me as if that glassed-in porch would translate nicely to the set up I had in Orlando. They like shade, and be careful not to water them too much. I had mine in bags of bark (I used to collect those plastic net bags onions come in to put my orchid bark and roots in) hanging from the rafters out there, and about once a week would just take them down, drag them through a tub of water, and hang them back up. They were really easy to care for. Of course, Florida is very humid, so time between watering might be different, but just pay attention to what they seem to like, and they’ll be fine. Most people make the mistake of thinking “tropical” and over-water or over-mist them. As already noted, in the wild they are parasites that grow on other plants, with roots stretching out into the air, so they aren’t used to having all that much water available. :slight_smile:

Hi CT,

/grin … If you’re kinda tough on plants, you can go with the full range of cacti. There is a wide variety of beautiful cacti out there and you have to really try hard to kill most of it because it really wants to live. Giving 'em a few drops of water every week is about all you have to do. My wife has some cacti sitting around and I’ve never seen one die.

Also these bonsai trees are hardy. My wife was given one last year and that little fellow just sits there in its saucer and lives. Beautiful wispy green “leaves” too. Its about 7 inches high and 5 inches wide, and much to small to hug, 'course we don’t have any liberal tree-huggers in our family, so that’s not a problem … lol …

:spades:

PS
If cacti and bonsai trees fail you, I’d just go to beautiful wall pictures of plants and greenery and be done with it. I have decided that magnificent pictures of some things I want is much easier and much more convenient than the “real thing.” I want a horse and I have room for one or two. But having this below hanging on my wall is much easier on me and my wallet than having this in my backyard:

http://fencefanatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/friesian-horse-in-galop-michael-mogensen.jpg

… lol …

PSS
I’ll have horses in the next life … several just like that fellow up there … /grin

`

1 Like

Horses are such beautiful creatures…but I’m afraid of them. Actually, I’m afraid of RIDING them. I had two terrible experiences riding a horse–almost got run over by an oil tanker while on a horse–so I am afraid to get on one. They are beautiful, though. I’m not afraid to be around them or pet them, etc., just to get on one. I used to think horses were pretty stupid, but I’ve grown to believe that they are quite intelligent. I had a girlfriend who had horses and also ran a horse barn and she told me that horses have very short memories. Don’t know if that is true, but she said that training a horse to do tricks is difficult because if you don’t practice with them regularly, they forget. Anyway, that horse in the picture is gorgeous. I thought the horses in “Ben-Hur” (the Arabian white ones) were beautiful, too. I watched a little snippet on how they trained those horses for the chariot race. Quite amazing. Beautiful animals…

1 Like

Love horses but the work that goes into caring for them------whooooo! A former business partner had some Jumpers plus a couple of little horses for his kids. but the time spent washing, currying, proper feeding mixes etc, and I would help at times.

FYI, don’t buy into the fantasy that horses are strict vegetarians. My sister-in-law used to date a guy (when she was in college) we came to know as “three-fingered Eddie” because, as a young boy, he was feeding a horse an apple core and it bit off and SWALLOWED his left index finger!

The worst thing about horses is that they have to eat and drink EVERY DAY, and if you put out enough food and water for them, intending that it last two or three days, they’ll eat and drink as much as possible and FOUNDER!

I have aloe plants, and they do wonders for burns. I’m clumsy, and get burnt often. I got burnt on the oven rack yesterday, rubbed some aloe on it, and I can’t tell (or remember!) where it was. It was a relatively light burn, but a few years ago, I scalded my hand with near-boiling water when I was canning some applesauce, and it was pretty bad, and deep. It didn’t heal right away, but I had a piece of aloe in my hand almost constantly, and would rub it on frequently. It eased the pain, and did speed up the healing.

Edit: I’ve never seen an aloe bloom.

1 Like

Live and learn!

Founder:

“Laminitis is a disease that affects the feet of hooved animals (ungulates)and it is best known in horses and cattle. Clinical signs include foot tenderness progressing to inability to walk, inflammation, and increased temperature in the hooves. Laminitis is characterized by pain of the digital laminae of the hoof, and severe cases with outwardly visible clinical signs are known by the colloquial term founder.”__Wiki article

Laminitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm, that’s not what I thought was meant by founder. I think Wikipedia is all wet. Foundering is involved with the digestive tract.

I don’t have the slightest idea what “foundering” is so I looked it up…did not find anything on it via Wikipedia.

Chapter 2 - What is Founder? | Professional Farrier Services by Keith SeeleyProfessional Farrier Services by Keith Seeley

`
Everybody might be right:

Founder:

foun·der 1 (foundr)
v. foun·dered, foun·der·ing, foun·ders

v.intr.

1. To sink below the surface of the water: The ship struck a reef and foundered.

2. To cave in; sink: The platform swayed and then foundered.

3. To fail utterly; collapse: a marriage that soon foundered.

4. To stumble, especially to stumble and go lame. Used of horses.

5. To become ill from overeating. Used of livestock.

6. To be afflicted with laminitis. Used of horses.

v.tr.

founder - definition of founder by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Susanna, see # 5 … # 5 means you could be right

4 and # 6 means wiki could be right.

Papa used “founder” in the sense of # 5

`

I thought that what Susanna was referring to in “foundering” was a noun, not a verb. Did I misunderstand?

Your definition #5 was the one I was familiar with. Although, it’s not necessarily overeating - eating wet clover/alfalfa can cause cows to founder - when I was a kid, we lost a cow to that.

Edit: It would fill them with gas, and they’d bloat 'way up. My parents would put a tube down their throat to relieve them. My ex said his uncle would stab them with a pitchfork and release the gas. The cow we lost wasn’t found in time to save her.

1 Like

Sounds awful!! Poor cows!

Now dear friends I have some photos but can’t seem to remember how to introduce them here, can someone help me? I asked before somewhere else and got ignored.

Click on the “image” icon in your reply box (it is rectangular one with what vaguely looks like an outdoor scene on it) and plug in your computer address of your image, so:

1-When the dialogue box pops open, choose the “from computer” tab at the top, then click on the “select” at the bottom of the box.

2-Choose your picture from wherever you have your pictures stored-- that is usually under “Library” and “pictures”.

3-When you double-click on the picture you want, your picture title will appear in the dialogue box. Select upload.

This is a shot of my little Maltese, Button, that I used to verify the steps in this process.

How adorable!! Love the sparkly purple ribbon!

Ok…I’m gonna try your steps: Here’s my Raven:

It didn’t work…I followed the directions to the T.

[ATTACH]1984[/ATTACH]

That is what happens when I follow the directions you gave. If I use the URL option and photobucket, (which is a huge hassle, BTW) I do get the image.

Thank you. :slight_smile: That picture was taken at Easter… note the little Easter eggs worked into the ribbon (the button in the center of the bow is a “covered button” with the same ribbon as the rest of the bow). :slight_smile: I had to clip her long hair off this past summer, though-- we got hit by a major flea outbreak, and it just wasn’t fair to her to have those nasty little bugs hiding in all that hair. It’s growing back now, but she’s “cute” rather than the beautiful little dog she was then.