A New Face on the $20

Harriet Tubman

*Harriet Tubman will bump Andrew Jackson from the front of the $20 bill while Alexander Hamilton will stay put on the $10 — a historic move that gives a woman prime placement on U.S. currency and quells a controversy kicked up by Hamilton super-fans.

*“Today, I’m excited to announce that for the first time in more than a century, the front of our currency will feature the portrait of a woman, Harriet Tubman, on the $20 note,” Treasury Secretary Jack Lew told reporters during a conference call Wednesday afternoon.

Lew rolled out sweeping changes that will put a new cast of historic figures onto various bills that have remained largely static for decades. Leaders of the women’s suffrage movement will make their way onto the back of the $10 bill, while civil rights era leaders and other important moments in American history will be incorporated into the $5 bill. Jackson will be kicked to the back of the $20 bill.

Anyone wanna DARE to suggest WHY this…individual…was selected for the twenty?

What did Harriet Tubman do for ALL Americans? I have no problem with honoring her in some way, but I thought that those on our currency were men and women who were responsible for the freedoms and rights of ALL Americans, not just certain groups. If that is the case, I would like Foster Brooks on the dollar bill.

Oh…I wonder if Earth Day enthusiasts know that April 20th is the birthday of A. Hitler…

Actually, Vladimir Lenin’s birthday.

Many know it - and don’t care. It’s an open secret - both of the day; and of the covert meaning of the Green Movement.

Among the kids…I wonder how many of them know who Lenin was; and why he’s such a repugnant person. Maybe we’ll soon see Vladimir Lenin tee-shirts floating about.

Did not know that. They probably think he’s John Lenin…one of the Beatles.

No doubt about the T-shirts. After all, there are still Che Guivara (sp?) worn.

We have had a long history of women on our money. Martha Washington was on the One Dollar Silver Certificates in the late 19th century. Until 1909 virtually all of our coins had a portrayal of Lady Liberty.

Historical note 1: George Washington would not allow his portrait on this nations money (at that time coins only, no paper). Instead we had portraits of the goddess Libertas. Some of the early one cent coins had her carrying the Phrygian cap at the end of a lance over her shoulder just like the then current symbolism of the French Revolution.

Historical note 2:
Hitler 4-20-89
Lenin 4-22-70

Did we pick them with the intent of keeping racial grudges and strife alive?

How about Jefferson Davis on a note? HE fought a valiant fight - for State Sovereignty. Which was something the Authors of the Constitution intended to preserve; but which Central-Government activists have been trying to stamp out since before Lincoln.

And ol’ Jeff Davis is as much a hero as Harriet the washerwoman.

What did Jackson do? He certainly wasn’t kind to the Indians or blacks.

Would have rather seen Hamilton replaced and ban all Federalists from money or any positive recognition, except maybe Washington.

Big freaking deal. Smacks of skin-worshiping PC silliness though, like the whole McKinley-Denali thing.

He wasn’t the only one unkind to Indians and blacks back then. Most of the founders weren’t pillars of equality for blacks and Indians.

He was one of three that founded Memphis TN. He was the first to recognize the Republic of Texas. He was a champion for veterans.
He grew the country by 3 times what it was. He was the 7th president. He won the battle of New Orleans. Lots of great things done by him if you care to google.

Exactly. On a hypothetical level I have zero problems with a picture of Harriet Tubman being on US currency. The Underground Railway was an important aspect of US History, and she was a part of it, and a fitting symbol for it. But since US currency isn’t being designed from scratch, why replace Andrew Jackson, the 7th President and a former military leader?

The answer to that question is pretty obvious, and obviously ultra-PC. Often the battles he fought were against “Native Americans”, and there was the “Indian Removal Act”, for which he, personally, is blamed, though it was passed by Congress. He owned many slaves, who came with Hermitage Plantation when he bought it. Texas gained its independence oin the final years of Jackson’s Presidency, [Sarcasm] which, of course, was a US conspiracy against Mexico [Sarcasm]. Lots for Libs & Progs to hate (just don’t demand the Ds rename their Jefferson-Jackson Dinner fundraisers)!

Who I read was not the saint that he was portrayed. A guy writes a song does not mean that is his actual views

It appears that Jackson will still be on the $20, just moved to the back.

I don’t care about this really. I do question the historical impact that Harriet Tubman made, comparatively, to Andrew Jackson.

Not something that I will lose any sleep pondering over though.

They replaced a Democrat with a Republican!

I really don’t care. I rarely carry cash and when I do, I do not worry whose face is on it.

On the one hand…it’s irrelevant, you’re right. The new funny-money spends as well as the old. That we HAVE this alleged money off a printing press, is a more-pertinent question.

But…there’s the subtle undercurrent here. The glorification of various persons based on skin color…based, essentially, on RACIAL and ETHNIC GROUPS. Stuff people into various pens based on non-behavioral characteristics, and then treat them differently under the law, to encourage group identity and cohesiveness.

Second, the glorification of someone working AGAINST established American principles and government. No, I’m not defending slavery. If you want to glorify abolitionism…Lincoln is a better choice than Harriet the Charwoman…or even John Brown, another nut who did a lot of bad in purported service of a Good Idea.

I for one am tired of idle or destructive or nondescript blacks being held up for worship for their SKIN COLOR - I don’t care if it’s Doprah, or if it’s 3/4-white Beyonce, or if it’s the First Water Buffalo with her scholarly work in Princeton, her graduation thesis of how repugnant it was to go to kowledge with all these ofays.

Or if it’s Harriet the Washerwoman. Of if it’s Leroy the coachman, who also hates whites and burns down massah’s barn at night.

I literally do not even know who this woman is.
If they needed to stick a black person on the bill, couldn’t they pick Fredrick Douglas or Booker T Washington or someone who actually accomplished something?

I went ahead and googled this woman, and she’s not particularly accomplished. May as well have stuck Rosa Parks on the bill. At least she’s already famous for doing almost nothing.

It was done to outrage whites and conservatives.

More of Soetoro’s in-yuh-face.

Meh, it doesn’t make me mad. Just makes me feel like it’s a missed opportunity(even from a “diversity” angle). It would be like selecting a female comedian for a time capsule, and picking Margaret Cho. Surely you could do better than this.