A Poll and Question...

What do you think about the electoral college? Do you think it is fair? Do you think there is abuse in this entity? Cast your vote: Yay or Nay for the electoral college and please give reasons for your vote.

I vote NAY and I think it is because there is so much potential for abuse in this procedure.

Mods can you make this a poll?

I am undecided. I will have a decision by lunch time.

The electoral college system insures that people like me, who live in a rural conservative area, are represented by the candidates. If the popular vote was the decider, Dems and Pubs would seek out metropolitan support, and forget us “Country Folk”. Cities would dictate the politics for everyone. Dems would have a huge advantage as the big cities almost always vote for the Democrat.
Freedom of religion, for us, would be a memory. Big Cities care about different things, than the farm areas, do.
I support the electoral system.

Bingo!

Not just rural areas…but smaller states too. The electoral college must AND will stay. The founders got this right. I DO think we need a change in the tie procedures if it comes out at 269-269 to reflect modern realities. Right now…each state in the HOUSE gets ONE vote for President…and the Senate votes normally for VP.
This could easily give us a romney/biden presidency… and with the tie breaking power of the VP…that is just stupid.
Seems to me the house should settle it by a majority vote, for both VP and Prez…or that the combined Senate and House should vote with everyone having one vote to decide both positions. The highest 2 pluralities (in a multiple candidate vote) should then go to a runoff with the majority winner taking both slots.

OK!! Well, I guess I had my information all wrong. You have a very, VERY important point here. Now that I understand, and I certainly understand about big-city politics (being from one of the most corrupt in the country–Chicago), I am going to change my vote to YAY!! And for the very reasons you gave! Thanks, Tiny!! Even old teachers like myself need to educate themselves!

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:6, topic:36779”]
OK!! Well, I guess I had my information all wrong. You have a very, VERY important point here. Now that I understand, and I certainly understand about big-city politics (being from one of the most corrupt in the country–Chicago), I am going to change my vote to YAY!! And for the very reasons you gave! Thanks, Tiny!! Even old teachers like myself need to educate themselves!
[/quote]The fact that you are willing to learn, and accept that you might need additional knowledge to make decisions in your life, is a testament to your character, which in turn, makes you the type of teacher I can support. Know it alls who invade the teaching profession, give the whole lot, a black eye. Glad I could help. God Bless you, Teach.

Tiny: You are so sweet!! Thank you! Knowledge is something we all need throughout our lives no matter what our IQ is or no matter how many degrees one has. I’ve always had a saying, “A degree a teacher does not make.” Many times in the classroom if a student would ask me a question for which I had no answer, I would simply tell them, “I don’t know, but I will find out for both of us!” I was never sorry for such an answer and the kids never gave me a hard time about it. Learning is never finished…even in Heaven! :yes:

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:8, topic:36779”]
Tiny: You are so sweet!! Thank you! Knowledge is something we all need throughout our lives no matter what our IQ is or no matter how many degrees one has. I’ve always had a saying, “A degree a teacher does not make.” Many times in the classroom if a student would ask me a question for which I had no answer, I would simply tell them, “I don’t know, but I will find out for both of us!” I was never sorry for such an answer and the kids never gave me a hard time about it. Learning is never finished…even in Heaven! :yes:
[/quote]Absolutely Spot on. Well said.
Due to the special needs of my Autistic Daughter, I battled Liberal thinking teachers and administrators, through 4 lawsuits and 6 times pressing charges for battery by students. One teacher watched it happen, and tried to protect the students. Others turned a blind eye. The administrator at the EC dept had nightmares about me. She said so.
I came to a bad conclusion from this experience that left me dejected and despondent regarding school officials and teachers. One lady actually told me, in front of my attorney, that the fact that she had a phD made her more fitting to make decisions regarding Audrey’s education, and suggested that Audrey could not be successful on a Collegiate Course of Study, and that I needed to pursue a Vocational Course. I asked her if she could build a house. She said no. I asked if she could build and repair her own computer? She said no. I asked if she could rebuild her car engine, play the guitar and piano, paint a landscape or tell me what fertilizer to use, to get bigger cantaloupes in my garden? She said she couldn’t. I said that from where I sat, she wasn’t as smart as me. You would have thought I painted her poodle red. She got soooo angry.
As it turned out, Audrey graduated 55th out of 405, and is almost done with her AS degree. So much for the Superior Intellect. But you encourage me. Maybe all the good teachers are not yet gone. Have a nice day. I am headed home, soon.

Again, Tiny, your words are so comforting to me. I am so sad that you had to go through all of that with your daughter, but, unfortunately, it does not surprise me. In kindergarten, my nephew’s teacher wanted my sister to have him repeat kindergarten. Her reasons? He was not socially mature enough for first grade. When my sister told me that, I was enraged. This kid was very, very smart–and I’m not just saying that because he’s my nephew either (he is, of course, also the most handsome man–he’s 21 now–on the planet…)! After my diatribe over the incompetency and lunacy of this teacher’s ridiculous suggestion, my easily-bullied sister somehow managed to “grow a pair” and insisted that Ian go on to the 1st grade. He has had straight A’s and has been on the National Honor Roll every year of college so far. He will graduate Summa Cum Laude in May 2013. He is an extremely bright young man who is specializing in entrepreneurship in small businesses and is a young conservative voting for Romney!!

You are very wise and did your daughter a great service by challenging those who believe they know what’s best for our children. They know nothing. All they do is regurgitate what they’ve been told in departments of education in colleges and universities around the country. When challenged, they rarely can stand on their pedestals for very long. Logic eludes them. Good for you, dad!!

get a room

Can’t. He’s in NC and I don’t fly.

My son almost had to repeat kindergarten. He was a little younger than most of the kids, and she was afraid he couldn’t “catch up.” But I actually heard her telling a mother who had a child about two weeks older that she would eventually “catch up.” BTW, that child of mine that I’m referring to is Fantasy Chaser.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:3, topic:36779”]
The electoral college system insures that people like me, who live in a rural conservative area, are represented by the candidates. If the popular vote was the decider, Dems and Pubs would seek out metropolitan support, and forget us “Country Folk”. Cities would dictate the politics for everyone. Dems would have a huge advantage as the big cities almost always vote for the Democrat.
Freedom of religion, for us, would be a memory. Big Cities care about different things, than the farm areas, do.
I support the electoral system.
[/quote]Case in point, Chicago pretty much runs the state in Illinois

Absolutely! Although, if you were to ask central and southern Illinois folks, the hair on the back of their necks would stand up straight with indignity. Illinoisians outside of Chicago don’t care much for Chicago except for a place to go on vacation. Southern and central Illinois are mainly farms and a few college towns. They have little use for city-folk and especially city politics. That is why typically Illinois has had Republican governors.

Susanna: Awwwwww!!! How sweet! So the “Clam before the storm” is yours? Very cool! Both of you are awesome people! :usa:

There are only 10 states or so in this election where your vote really can really make a difference, with just a popular vote every vote is equally valuable and matters. Sure big cities might get courted more but it’s not any worse than then being at the whim of swing states.

[quote=“UNTRugby, post:17, topic:36779”]
There are only 10 states or so in this election where your vote really can really make a difference, with just a popular vote every vote is equally valuable and matters. Sure big cities might get courted more but it’s not any worse than then being at the whim of swing states.
[/quote]82% of people in America live in cities. The Metro area of Los Angeles is larger than the entire population of Ohio. So you are saying that it would be better for my family, to have to follow the vote of L A than to depend on the sensibilities of everyone in Ohio?
The densest area is New England. Sure, I want Northern Democrats and Liberal Pubbies to dictate to my family. Oh yeah, bring it on.[sarcasm]
Foolishness.

First off the whole argument is pretty irrelevant because an EV/PV mismatch probably wont happen again in anyone who is living now’s lifetime

How exactly are they dictating to you? your vote counts exactly the same as theirs does. Its a myth that the big population centers NY, LA, Chi, DFW would be the main focus. Take 2008 a relatively big landslide for democrats. If you just count popular votes of the most popular states it would have taken the top 34 states votes for Obama to put him over 50%. Thats a lot more than just the major population centers.

I say it doesn’t matter. The number of times they’ve diverged is three. That’s not very often. And each time the popular vote was very, very close. Honestly, if we had a rule that said “If margin of victory is less than %2, all votes are thrown out and we flip a coin” I would be okay with that.