A tale of two Carsons

A tale of two Carsons
By Scott Glover and Maeve Reston, CNN
Updated 9:14 AM ET, Sat November 7, 2015

Ben Carson, the soft-spoken, Yale-educated brain surgeon who has surged in the GOP presidential race, has written and spoken powerfully of divine intervention at several pivotal moments in his life.

At the core of his narrative of spiritual redemption are his acts of violence as an angry young man — stabbing, rock throwing, brick hurling and baseball bat beating — that preceded Carson’s sudden transformation into the composed figure who stands before voters today.

But nine friends, classmates and neighbors who grew up with Carson told CNN they have no memory of the anger or violence the candidate has described…

Some might not like this but I’ve always thought Carson is a little strange. Certainly unlike any other “politician” I can remember.

If there wasn’t any there there, why would he bring this up? Obviously to preempt disclosures that might come out later in the campaign. Maybe he isn’t a political moron after all.

Not impossible that his old “friends/neighbors” are still on the liberal plantation, and don’t consider him “black enough” anymore???

Sorta like Clarence Thomas, Walter Williams, et al!

Russel Wilson is black enough.

FWIW, that was my take on it. Lot’s of people overcome violent tempers. My husband is one of them. You’d never guess today that, as a youngster, he used to have an extremely violent temper. (He never tried to stab his mother: I’ll give him that one.)
Anyway, point being, I wonder how many people who knew him as a kid even remember that streak he went through 40+ years ago.
Same w/Carson.

There is a concerted effort on the part of 'Politico" and other liberal rags to destroy what they perceive as an easy mark with misquotes and innuendo. Once he is put on the defensive he then can be negated. It is about to get a whole lot nastier. for all Republican candidates.

You know that the RNC as well as the Dems will dig up any dirt there is to find on Carson, and any candidate they don’t want. So, he was probably wise to expose it before that happens.

[quote=“Susanna, post:7, topic:47634”]
You know that the RNC as well as the Dems will dig up any dirt there is to find on Carson, and any candidate they don’t want. So, he was probably wise to expose it before that happens.
[/quote]It started with CNN’s investigation of his book and I personally think Carson has exaggerated or outright lied about things in his past. It shouldn’t be too hard to find classmates to verify what he says but after finding and interviewing nine of them they could not find one who was not surprised at the things he said about his violent pre-Christian youth and no I don’t believe they are all conspiring against him.

Agreed. You can bet camp Hillary has been digging for months on all of the GOP candidates and getting ready to launch viscous attacks, or to have someone else do her dirty work. The MSM will be doing all they can to destroy the GOP candidates. Fortunately Trump has been such a media focus that up until now the media has left the others alone except for Fiorina; she’s slipped in the polls and I’m not quite so sure she has the money to hang in there. Right now the MSM is focusing on Carson and Rubio is under scrutiny for his credit cards. Not only is Rubio being attacked from the MSM but Trump seems to be initiating those attacks. Cruz is polling in double digits so he will be next; he should be used to it by now because the GOPe hates him as well.

So … IMHO it’s all going to boil down to money. We know that Hillary will stop at nothing to win and she has the money to back her. Trump and Bush have a bundle of money as well, but Cruz is not far behind and Rubio just recently got a chunk. As for the other players … I don’t think they have a chance.

I still don’t know why he is in this race at all. I can’t imagine why such a brilliant and logical mind such as his would want to wallow in the clusterfck of politics. He’s such a nice, decent guy. Why he would want any of this is beyond me.

Even if everything they’re saying about him is a lie, he’s not handling this very well. This semi stuttering speech habit of his is hurting him. It’s making him look more guilty.

Frankly, he should have already anticipated all of this when he wrote that book. He should have known that sooner or later the left would drag it up. He’s a very smart guy.

Carson has not lied and there was nothing to “anticipate” beyond the typical smear campaign that any candidate who the media fears will receive.

Carson’s book is not a lie and those who don’t tell lies have no reason to worry about what they said or wrote in the past, that is only a problem for those who hold positions based on expedience and who defend positions that they know are indefensible.

This reminds me of 2012, I could never vote for Romney but felt compelled to defend him based on the complete lies being said about him; Carson is not my guy now but he is not a liar either.

:yeahthat: Carson’s not my guy either…at least for the Presidency…as much as I admire and respect his accomplishments, I want someone who’ll take the evil Democrats to task for all the harm they’ve caused all of us, but ESPECIALLY those they play to–women, blacks and even the LGBT crowd.

[quote=“Skeptic, post:1, topic:47634”]
Some might not like this but I’ve always thought Carson is a little strange. Certainly unlike any other “politician” I can remember.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/quote]I have a problem with someone whose instinct is to lie or exaggerate when it’s not necessary. The underlying story of slum boy to neurosurgeon is enough. Why embellish?

Skeptic, as I requested in the edit of your OP, in the future, please give links to articles you quote, so people can see the whole article if they are interested. Or maybe discover something like this:

But nine friends, classmates and neighbors who grew up with Carson told CNN they have no memory of the anger or violence the candidate has described.

My emphasis. Nine interviewees? Just NINE?! Some (most? all?) of whom may have known Carson only casually? My BS meter registered in the yellow on seeing this. And … were there other “friends, classmates and neighbors who grew up with Carson” who … confirmed Carson’s accounts, whose comments CNN decided to ignore/suppress? Consider some context:

• Politico’s hit-piece in which Politico refuted claims Carson never made;

• CNBC’s blatant attempt to trivialize R Presidential candidates in the recent “debate”;

• The magical disappearance of Herman Cain’s accuser (in 2012);

• The MSM’s near-total refusal to vet fact claims in BHO’s biography;

• Where’s MSM fact-checking and vetting of The CHILL?

• Where’s MSM fact-checking and vetting of Bernie?

I’d love to see Carson’s campaign respond to this near-certain hit-piece. At this point it looks to me like CNN published a slightly more skillful hit-piece than did Politico - comparing Politico’s first paragraph to the relevant portions of Gifted Hands sufficed to expose Politico’s significant falsehoods. CNN’s claims are less easily fact-checked and thus less easily refuted (unless there are records extant, in which case … CNN will move on to the next, possibly fabricated, hit on some R candidate.

I hope Cruz and Rubio are paying close attention. The hit-pieces targeting them are almost certainly “in the can” or in final stages of production.

Sorry…I try to remember to include the link. To me it should be easy to verify what Carson has claimed and what they have done in investigating or not investigating others is beside the point. I’m not going to argue about it though. I’d vote for Carson but doubt I will need to.

We can ONLY assess Carson by what he says. He has no voting record to check out. He has no business involvement to check. He has absolutely no qualifications to be president. What he says is one thing, but what he does as a president may be quite another. How are we really to know? We can assume everything he says is true, because he talks a conservative talk, but what do we really know about Carson??

I for one do not trust someone with absolutely no political experience (he hasn’t even been a city councilman), no law experience, no business experience who all of a sudden decides to be president just because he has some ideas. In addition, he’s been an independent for quite awhile and a Republican for a very short time.

Carson has not lied and there was nothing to “anticipate” beyond the typical smear campaign that any candidate who the media fears will receive.

Excuse me? Have you been on the Planet Earth for the last 15 years? SERIOUSLY? Any Republican candidate who DOESN’T research EVERYTHING he did for his entire lifetime is incompetent. I mean, THIS IS THE LEFT WING PLAYBOOK. It doesn’t change. Only a lazy MORON would ignore it.

Carson’s book is not a lie and those who don’t tell lies have no reason to worry about what they said or wrote in the past, that is only a problem for those who hold positions based on expedience and who defend positions that they know are indefensible.

I guess you didn’t hear the part where I said it LOOKS like a lie. It doesn’t have to be a lie. I believe Carson is telling the truth. I believe all this media crap is just another lynching of a conservative black man. But he has handled this piss poorly. He LOOKS guilty even though he is not.

This reminds me of 2012, I could never vote for Romney but felt compelled to defend him based on the complete lies being said about him; Carson is not my guy now but he is not a liar either.

Romney’s problem was that he was a !@#$% (edit by DN) that wouldn’t stand up to the media.

Why do you think Trump is ahead in all the polls? He refused to back down on anything. Also, he was smart enough to manage his press.

Do you want a Chief Executive who has skill at management or do you want a really nice guy who comes completely unglued when he walks into cobwebs?

See, THIS is what’s on the minds of most of America, which is why Carson is not leading Trump today in all the polls. He hasn’t even put out any specific ideas about what he will do when elected. On his website, there are just a bunch of OPINIONS about the issues. No specific plans.

Trump’s website has a limited number of issues along with specific ways of dealing with them.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:15, topic:47634”]
My emphasis. Nine interviewees? Just NINE?! Some (most? all?) of whom may have known Carson only casually? My BS meter registered in the yellow on seeing this. And … were there other “friends, classmates and neighbors who grew up with Carson” who … confirmed Carson’s accounts, whose comments CNN decided to ignore/suppress? Consider some context:
[/quote]I have serious doubts that he was ever habitually violent.

Heck, you guys won’t believe I’m a liberal Democrat. Would you believe it if I told you I was in the Bloods or Crips gang?