Accidental Racist

Thoughts on this? Been in the news a lot lately. BRAD PAISLEY LYRICS - Accidental Racist

I am more than sick and tired of pretending any of this crap is legitimate after 150 years, anybody still “walking on eggshells” needs to learn to say "My ancestors fought a damn war to free your ancestors and more died doing it than in every other war this nation has fought COMBINED. If that is not good enough for you tough, I have no intention of pretending I owe you anything but the advice to shut up, quit bitching and get your lazy butt to work"

Of course I have never “walked a mile in their shoes”, I was born in 1965 so my whole life I have been told that the freebies, sympathies and perks are all for the superior ethnic groups. I have no “White Guilt” and there is no ethnic group in America that can blame anyone but themselves for their lot.

Those are my “thoughts” and Brad Paisely can crawl back under whatever politically correct rock he came out from under.

My ancestors fought a damn war to free your ancestors

Not all of our ancestors did, and that’s the point of Paisley’s lyrics. Here in Philly, I walk by the Union League each morning, not some statue of a rebel soldier who fought a damn war for exactly the opposite reason RET’s ancestors did, or a courthouse still waving a rebel flag. Paisley’s right - this is a matter of working out the ground between Southern pride and Southern blame.

I don’t care what the message is, the song is terrible.

Except Paisley is from West Virginia so Paisley doesnt know what hes talking about

I think you have a point in saying that after 150 years this Civil War stuff is not quite as relevant as it once was (and that’s a bit of an understatement). But at the same time, racism is still a problem in America and the socioeconomic gap between blacks and whites shows that blacks still face massive disadvantages when compared to their white counterparts. “White Guilt” is stupid - there’s no reason whites (or anybody) should feel guilty for things that their ancestors did. But it is important to recognize that the effects of racism are still being felt.

Paisley’s right - this is a matter of working out the ground between Southern pride and Southern blame.

Exactly. As recently as the early 2000’s there have been controversies over whether or not the confederate battle flag can be flown over state buildings, and public schools across the South are still named after Confederate leaders, have Confederate-themed sports teams, or display Confederate flag murals. In these terms, it is clearly still a relevant issue.

Except Paisley is from West Virginia so Paisley doesnt know what hes talking about

Also true. :yes: But it’s still a song that he put out that is supposed to represent his Southern audience.

Listen to Paisley and LL Cool J discuss their song and see if you still think that’s the point of this song.
Accidental Racist - LL Cool J and Brad Paisley explain Controversial Song - YouTube

… lol … Let me suggest the point of them making this “controversal” song, are you ready? Here tis: They both want more ** MONEY $$$$ **

… lol … These boys have figured out how to put another million dollars on their hip. Btw, Brad and LL Cool J, both together, have another “message” song in the works soon coming down the pipe. (That’ll be more money $$ for them.)

** A Few More Decades … **

That “rebel soldier” you want to still keep alive in human memory lived 148 years ago … lol … 2013 minus 1865 when the war ended equals 148 years ago … lol again… but there are still enough millions and millions of white people stupid enough and weak-willed enough to allow stronger personalities to stuff “white guilt” down their throats … /utterly hilarious … so keep that “racist grievance stuff” alive and kicking for as long as you possibly can, it’ll be good for a few more $$ millions and million $$ in “wealth redistribution” for a few more decades.

LOL … “This is a matter of working out” how to get all that money $$ divided up between Brad and Mr. Cool and the promoters of this “controversial” song.

** Btw, how do you spell MONEY? Answer: C-O-N-T-R-O-V-E-R-S-I-A-L (The sheeple, with their money in hand, love anything “controversial” and are drawn to it like flies are drawn to fresh warm bull manure … /howler **

You said Brad was right! Paisley and his good buddy LL Cool J (they are said to be close friends?) are right, alright!! … lol … they’re right about this song making them another few million dollars to squirril away, because there are enough sheeple that still take all these racist grievance complaints serious enough to go out there and cough up money $$ for this “deep message” song so we can … lol … “let the racial healing began”…

** Both Brad And LL Cool J Need Your Help … ** :howler:

I’d bet the farm that Brad Paisley and LL Cool J both live in $6,000,000 dollar mansions.

Here is what Brad’s digs look like:
brad paisley’s mansion - Yahoo! Image Search Results

Here is LL Cool J’s digs:
LL Cool J’s mansion - Yahoo! Image Search Results

They both need people to push this song for them so “the racial healing can began” … lol … maybe you can use your time and influence to promote this song for them on the web, and make your contribution to them both being able to get another new $100,000 automobile to park in their 10 car garage (or ever how many it will hold) … /Big Grin

♫ ♫

** “Let The Racial Healing Began” … **

PS
Btw, the very last thing the race baiters want is to “let the racial healing began” because that would dry up their money supply. They know which side of the bread their butter is on, and they’ll keep this racist grievance stuff alive and well for as long as they possibly can.

Its not wide spread though. Most of America goes about their business and lives their lives and never has any racial trouble of any kind. That makes the race baiters sad and they work as hard as they can to undo that, but they’re losing the battle.

`

`
** Surplus money? … **

Some people think lack of money will force society to make better social changes. I used to entertain that notion, but one day I had the thought as I looked at the “Hubble Deep Field: The Most Important Image Ever Taken” on YouTube, that the Sovereign God has created more “money” than our puny human minds can comprehend. I mean there is a principle involved here: There is no shortage of “materials” in the Universe (and not here on Earth either.)

What is just the raw material in just one super size planet worth in retail dollars? The point is Money per se has never been an issue with God. God loves people, not money.

Anyway, I can’t develope this here, but its the idea that this “continual racist grievance complaints” thing, and a few other social lunacies can be better solved and eradicated with a huge surplus of money than it can with a lack of money.

You might say, “Huge surplus of money, never gonna happen.” I would reply,“Yeah, thats what men have been saying for centuries.” (Btw, I’m talking about Jobs here and not handouts.) And I would add this statement, “It is the Sovereign God who is in charge of the present and future economic development of the world, as to how it actually in fact does turn out, and so what I suggested as a solution, is a possibility.”

/BigGrin … America in 2095 with 600 million people and a 28 trillion dollar economy with 2% unemployment! Its a possibility, I do not predict it, but I do know God loves people, not money, and that in the mind of God lack of money and other material blessings has never been what the Sovereign God has wanted for mankind.

I used to love listening to Brad Paisley. Wish he’d go back to making music for fun instead of political music. I’m not a fan of his social justice mentality.

According to the lyrics that you posted and clearly approve, the song is saying those things are NOT to be relevant issues.

“When I put on that t-shirt, the only thing I meant to say is I’m a Skynyrd fan” The implication (later confirmed in an interview with Brad and LL Cool J) is that Brad gets TO KEEP WEARING his Confederate flag T-shirt.

and …

“I’m just a white man
(If you don’t judge my do-rag)
Comin’ to you from the southland
** (I won’t judge your red flag)**
Tryin’ to understand what it’s like not to be”

The line “I won’t judge your red flag” is a clear statement that LL Cool J is cool (pun intended) with Brad KEEPING ON FLYING his Confererate flag.

And I heard LL Cool J in that interview I linked to up-thread say about Brad’s Confedrate flag T-shirt that when he saw Brad wear it, that did not mean he thought Brad was a soldier.

Here is the exact quote as delivered: “…So if my man my man [ie Brad] got a Confederate flag on, I’m not going …that don’t mean he is a Confederate soldier”

Quote starts at 2:35 here:
Accidental Racist - LL Cool J and Brad Paisley explain Controversial Song - YouTube

The whole point of what LL Cool J said was that Brad gets to KEEP ON WEARING his Confederate flag T-shirt … lol … **

**But you want Brad to take his Confederate flag T-shirt off and never wear it again, right?

If so, you appear to have missed the point of Brad/LL Cool J’s big $$$ money-maker, which was that everybody gets to keep their symbols. **

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

I am a pretty big fan of Brad Paisley, but I did not like this song. It sounded like they only spent 15 minutes on the lyrics.

/Big Grin … I think I would have stayed up all night to get rid of the line I colored blue down there. It sorta leaves you dangling in the air!

To the man that waited on me at the Starbucks down on Main, I hope you understand
When I put on that t-shirt, the only thing I meant to say is I’m a Skynyrd fan

The red flag on my chest somehow is like the elephant in the corner of the south
And I just walked him right in the room

Just a proud rebel son with an ‘ol can of worms
Lookin’ like I got a lot to learn but from my point of view

I’m just a white man comin’ to you from the southland
** Tryin’ to understand what it’s like not to be **

I guess we’re expected to mentally supply an object for the verb, which I assume (?) is the phrase “a white man.” Thus it would read:

I’m just a white man comin’ to you from the southland
Tryin’ to understand what it’s like not to be (a white man from the Southland)

If thats right (?), Brad could just have easily asked :

I’m just a very rich man , I got millions of dollars, and I’m comin’ to you from my “$6,000,000” dollar mansion
Tryin’ to understand what it’s like not to be multi-millionaire living large in high style and in multi-million dollar digs

… lol … but that question would NOT have driven the $$$ sales $$$ of this “controversial” song

My view is: ** These cats are laughing all the way to the bank. ** Get ready for “Accidential Racist II” and then III etc … On releaving the guliable sheeple of their money, sayeth the evil outlaw (played by Eli Wallach) in The Magnificient Seven: “If God did not want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep.”

Cheers.

♫ ♪

PS
(Btw, what does his phrase, “with an ‘ol can of worms” mean?

(1) That he has opened up a “can of worms” with this song,
or
(2) Just a good old Southern boy fishing with worms in the nearby creek.

Maybe they meant both … lol …

♫ ♪

I think you misunderstood me - I do not approve of the lyrics in this song, but the stated sentiment (to start a conversation about the meaning of Confederate symbols and “Southern blame” vs. “Southern pride”) does make sense and is praiseworthy. See your interview to hear them talk about this, or this one Brad Paisley On Accidental Racist - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - YouTube. And I do agree with you that a desire to make money plays a large role in Paisley’s decision to release this song, but clearly people are still interested and moved enough by this topic to buy the song and make it possible for it to be a moneymaker. This suggests that this is still a relevant issue.

And yes, I do think that Confederate flag imagery is a bad idea.

/grin … I stand corrected.

Okay, but you’d admit that Brad and LL Cool J do not think its a bad idea? (based on the info in my post you quoted up there …IE the lines in the song
and the quote from LL Cool J in the interview, I mean they’re clearly implying that its cool to keep the Confederate flag, just do NOT interpret it as
a racist symbol, right?

Is that the correct interpretation of what they said?

“…So if my man my man [ie Brad] got a Confederate flag on, I’m not going …that don’t mean he is a Confederate soldier”__LL Cool J

That quote seems pretty clear to me. LL Cool J does NOT want Brad to get rid of the shirt, rather he wants everybody to stop interpreting the Confederate flag T-shirt as a racist symbol.

What else could his, “…So if my man my man [ie Brad] got a Confederate flag on, I’m not going …that don’t mean he is a Confederate soldier” mean? If LL Cool J feels that way on Monday when Brad is wearing that ConFed Flag T-shirt, he’d also feel the same way next Monday when Brad was wearing it, and on and on, IE according to the message they are putting out in their song and in their interviews.

Btw, I don’t really have a dog in this fight. I’m just messing around here in this thread to have something to do before my Father’s Day party starts. Here are the flags I really love above all other flags: http://oranchak.com/crackbaby/Outdoor-Christian-Flag.jpg

I love the flag on the right the most of all.

Cheers.

♫ ♫

PS
I also like the Big Picture and the Big Picture means I have to think longterm, not just about this decade or the next few decades. The Big Picture tells me that at some point in time (and not all that far away, historically speaking) all these streets named after highly-loved people, eg. Martin Luther King are going to re-named after somebody else that is then loved more. There are no streets in America named, in love and appreciation, after people who lived hundreds of years ago. My point is Father Time and will eventually erase all racist grievance complaints that occupy people’s brain cells these days.

/Big Grin … ** How do you like this Bible verse for a racist verse? Here is the true Biblical racism: **

The Great Multitude in White Robes

9 After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, ** from every nation, tribe, people and language, ** standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice:

“Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.”

Rev. 7:9-10

`

Yes, seems to me that what they are implying is that there is more than one way to interpret the Confederate flag, and that both sides should try and understand where the other is coming from. They do in the end seem to suggest that we should all just get over the fact that the Confederates fought to perpetuate slavery and accept it as a symbol separate from racism. Which is not going to happen any time soon - “Father Time” still has a lot of work to do. I think it’s more likely that the flag falls out of use.

I do wonder, why is the Confederate flag treated with such nonchalance when symbols such as the swastika are demonized? It’s not an unfair comparison.

The Nazi’s killed 6 million jews just because they didnt like their race

While theres nothing positive about slavery, its not even close to the same. As for the confederate flag not being a big deal, its because while the south wanted to keep slavery the civil war was more about states rights. Remember slavery was legal under the constitution. If you think the confederate flag should be demonized then you should demonize this flag also

But he doesnt even understand what hes trying to represent which is why the lyrics are so laughably bad.

Agreed. It will fall out of use gradually and incrementally.

Because there are millions of “our fellow Americans” … lol … who love the ConFed Flag as a cultural symbol and they associate that flag with their fond memories of brave men, like Robert E. Lee, who fought NOT to perpetuate slavery (which he did not agree with) but because he could not bring himself to fight against his home state of Virginia, nor could he bring himself TO REFUSE to stand with his FAMILY and CLOSE FRIENDS who were his dearly-loved neighbors. The Southern people, in the deep south especially, identify the ConFed Flag with such as that, and NOT with the approval of slavery.

Surely you can understand that? Do you?

♫ ♫ ♪ ♪

Take a look at this source: http://http://www.gilderlehrman.org/history-by-era/slavery-and-anti-slavery/resources/facts-about-slave-trade-and-slavery According to this history institute, 10-20 percent of slaves died during the Middle Passage from Africa to America, and about 11,863,000 made this voyage overall. So even at a low estimate, that’s almost 2 million dead just from making the journey to the U.S. Then consider that between 1830 and 1860, only 10% of slaves in the U.S. lived to be over 50 years old. Clearly an extremely high proportion of slaves died not only in bondage, but because of bondage. I would guess that this figure would surpass 6 million.

And your assertion that the Confederacy fought mostly for states rights is a very common misconception, but it’s also a flat-out untruth. In his famous “Cornerstone” speech, Vice President of the Confederacy Alexander Stephens defined the cornerstone of the new nation as African slavery, writing that “African slavery as it exists among us…was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the ‘rock upon which the old Union would split.’ He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact.” If this isn’t proof enough for you, I would be happy to cite specific passages in the official secession documents of Southern states. And even if you’re not satisfied with that, I can prove to you that the Civil War was most definitely not about states rights, given Southern response to the Fugitive Slave Act and the actions of the Confederate government itself.

As for the Constitution, the first mention of slavery in the Constitution is the 13th amendment; “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude…shall exist within the United States.” It wasn’t explicitly banned or allowed. Yet even if you could make the argument that slavery was “legal under the Constitution,” how does that account for Southern resistance to Northern attempts to stop the spread of slavery? The Confederate Army fought explicitly for slavery - there is no middle ground, no redeeming proof to keep this label from them.

Given these things, I think it is perfectly fair to compare the Confederate battle flag to the swastika.

Did Robert E. Lee fight to protect the existence of slavery or didn’t he? Did he actively run a military campaign to protect his right to own black slaves, or didn’t he? Remind me, did he fight for an institution that was responsible for the deaths of millions, the separation of countless families, and that literally treated humans like animals? Or didn’t he?

It’s like saying that Stalin should be honored because he was passionate about his work and loved his wife. Never mind the other stuff.