Action Man photo sparks security fears

Action Man photo sparks security fears
Staff reporter, The West Australian
February 14, 2013, 10:44 am

A UK man’s Facebook photo of an Action Man doll with a toy weapon has sparked security fears, prompting armed police officers to raid his home.

Ian Driscoll from Gloucestershire, in south-west England, told Britain’s Daily Mail he was shocked when five officers, two armed with submachine guns, turned up at his home last month searching for the mortar pictured in his Facebook photo.

The “weapon” was in fact a six-inch toy which had been pictured next to an Action Man doll and a toy Alsatian in Mr Driscoll’s photo and had been posted online more than a month earlier.

After leading officers to the toy, 43-year-old Ian Driscoll said officers apologised and left his home.

“I couldn’t believe someone thought it was real,” he told the Daily Mail.

The picture that caused this is at the top of this article. How any persons capable of recognizing things common in a reasonably modern home could not figure out that the “mortar” was a small toy, I don’t understand. Just look, for example, at the base board at the bottom of the wall, the modem or router and power adapter at the right side of the pic, the computer communication cables running the full width of the pic, and the obviously plastic jacket worn by the action figure (and if Action Man is a popular toy in the UK, no one on the police force recognized it?).

Unfortunately, I couldn’t see the photo on the smartphone version.

At least government controlled action-men get to run around with machine guns /sarc

I will now announce to you all that I have a working moon program.

I see you have upgraded NASA’s standard helmet. Nice, avoid the copy right infringement!

Let them come to my ranch! I have my own Seal Team!!!

What kind of masks are those? They look like skeletons.

GI Joe action figure specials ma’am.

Bah. Don’t need Seals when you have these handsome fellows on your side:

I have a whole army:

Look at you rightwing extremist with your militias…You sicken me!!!

They sure look like real guys to me! (licking my lips with glee)

Chill, dude!! :beerchug:

…I was joking. :bored: CT I am going to teach you how to read the atmosphere. :wink:

:rofl:

okey dokie!

By the way, I’m selling my car, if anyone’s interested. Wire me $750 and we’ll talk.

Not funny tp!!! :redface:

OK, Trekky. I’ll send you a cashier’s check for $3500 and you can wire the balance by Western Union to my account in Nigeria.

:rofl: holy sheep

If only it wasn’t red!