After acquitting Trump, McConnell slams him for a 'disgraceful dereliction of duty'

WASHINGTON — Moments after voting to acquit Donald Trump, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell gave a speech excoriating the former president for a “disgraceful dereliction of duty” and said he holds him responsible for “provoking” the Jan. 6 siege of the Capitol.

McConnell was among the 43 Republicans who voted that Trump was “not guilty” on the charge of incitement of insurrection.

“There’s no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day. No question about it,” the Kentucky Republican said Saturday. “The people who stormed this building believed they were acting on the wishes and instructions of their president.”

One thing I really dislike in political reporting these days, both sides, everyone gets “slammed” in politics. I can’t help but picture Mcconnell in a wrestling giving Trump an off the rope elbow drop when I read this headline.

Actually, that’s a great comparison as a political “slam” is usually equally as performative as it’s WWE counterpart.

It’s no secret that McConnell never liked Trump. Now that Trump is out of the way, McConnell can run his mouth. One must remember than when you elected to Congress or the Senate, you have to kiss these people’s butts. If you don’t they will be out to get you. Trump never kissed their butts.

1 Like

McConnell is a spineless worm. His words were probably courtesy of China.

1 Like

¯\(ツ)/¯ at least we can all agree on one thing.

In a messed up way though, I kind of respect how well he plays the “game” of politics. This has gotta be his last term though considering he’ll be 84 next time he would run.

1 Like

isn’t Grassly 88 or more?

Yes, unfortunately we still have Don Young, Grassley, and Feinstein all in Congress at 87. So maybe just wishful thinking on my part McConnell will call it quits.

Actually, I hope they all call it quits soon. It was pretty disheartening to see Feinstein file 2024 election paperwork with the FEC. Here’s hoping that’s just a formality of being an incumbent and she’s not actually considering running for a 6 year term at 90

1 Like

For once we agree @Gene. I used to oppose term limits, but now I would welcome them. There is too much “dead wood” in Congress, and they think of themselves before they think of the American people. If they were limited to 12 years of service, or maybe a couple years more if they jumped from the Congress to the Senate, and had an issue with the Senate’s six year term, we would be better off.

I used to respect Diane Feinstein when she first came to the Senate many years ago, but no more.

1 Like

why not age limits? or mental acuity testing every 6 months?

Under that system Biden will be gone in six months, depending upon who administers the test, of course.

And Trump could have never ran.

Trump’s mind is quite active. It’s what he thinks that gets you shorts in a wad.

you call that “thinking”? hahahahaha

drug testing.

#DitchMitch

what about donnie’s adderall?

I don’t know what adderall is for. Do you know what meds biden is taking. A white house pharmacist says we’d be stunned at the meds being taken by congressmen and senators. Your side made a big deal about Rush Limbaugh’s oxycoden. But you are sure quiet on the drug use of democrat politicians and in particular Hunter Biden. Maybe you should leave prescription drugs as determinations between doctor and patient.

1 Like

“Person, man, woman, camera, TV” should not be the standard for being elected.

Adderal is legal methamphetamine. It can be perscribed for potential stroke victims when Worfarin (also known as rat poison) wouldn’t be effective or for people with attention disorders. Predominately the latter.

Minor nitpick; it’s oxycotin (also known as hillbilly heroin). And I don’t think anyone was critical of Limbaugh’s addiction to it - it’s horrific stuff. People were justifiably critical of Limbaugh being a dishonest hypocrite slamming addicts for being weak and vermin whilst hiding the fact he was one himself. “One rule for the but not for me” if you will. That’s why he is a scumbag, not his perscriptions.

bull. Your side made a BIG issue of it. You guys have short attention spans or little brains. I have my suspicions. Re Limbaugh’s alleged criticism of drug addicts. Got a link for that? There’s a big diff in taking prescription drugs for pain and taking prescription drugs for entertainment. I think you get that. Lefties…you are exposing your hypocrisy on a daily basis. Keep it up bud.

I’m on a side? Good to know. Do I good a badge or a hat or at least a card.

Also, and this might be because of my tiny brain, I can see that there is a difference between condemning someone for being an addict and condemning someone for being a dishonest hypocrite. Limbaugh is the latter. He deserves to be painted as the latter. He was and is described as the latter.

I’m very sorry, but my tiny brain can’t put it any simpler than that. I’d write it out for in you in crayon, but I accidentally stuck the last one up my nose because me so smrat…

EDIT:

Yes I do. Ask and ye shall receive. It even has the dates when Limbaugh said those things.

Not as big a difference you think. It’s pretty obvious you are utterly ignorant about addiction. 75% of heroin addicts became heroin addicts because of perscription drugs from their doctor.

Also, I have not seen a single addict take drugs for entertainment. Do you want to know how I know this? Because I’m an alcoholic. Think on that for a moment - I live in Australia where our favourite food is beer and I drank more than anybody else around me. By the end of it, downing a bottle of Bundy Rum was as part of my daily routine as making my bed or having a shower or going to work. No entertainment, just routine. I’m not comfortable with publicly saying how long I’ve been sober, but it’s been longer than five years and I’m okay with making jokes about it now. My time at rehab showed me that your argument that addicts use/consume for entertainment is absolute crap. I aware that my story is anecdotal - take it or leave it. The facts I have linked as well prove that I am right and you are wrong however.

1 Like