After Countless People Ignored Her, 1 Gentleman Rescued This Mom and Her 4 Kids

I have no reason for posting this other than it made me feel good.
(Well, it is in the Faith and Beliefs section for a reason.)

I thought that you might want to “feel good” too!?

After Tawny Nelson’s car broke down at night in the pouring rain with her four young daughters crying in the back, countless people just drove by as she begged for help.

The single mother of four explained that things had been rough since her partner left — her vehicle was in such bad shape that she only drove if they absolutely necessary and her cell phone was disconnected. She and her children desperately needed groceries so they made a quick trip to the store. However, one of her girls accidentally left a light on in the car and they returned to a completely drained battery. “I must have asked more than twenty people in the course of two hours for a jump,” she wrote to Frank Somerville, which he shared on his Facebook page. "They all ignored me. Not even a no. [They] just acted like I didn’t exist.

As her newborn screamed, her 2-year-old cried from hunger, and her 9-year-old desperately tried to help, Tawny described that she started to break down herself. “I was bawling and felt like the worst Mom ever,” she recalled.

At that moment, a 74-year-old man with a bad limp knocked on the window. He handed her a plate of food and bottles of water for her family and let her know that a tow truck was on its way and that his wife was going to drive them home. The next day, the gentleman returned to her house with a mechanic and they made multiple repairs to her car.

After the kind stranger left, Tawny asked the mechanic if she could set up a payment plan, but he informed her that the man had already taken care of the bill.

“He said that the only payment the older man wanted was for me to never give up and keep being an amazing mom,” Tawny wrote. “I’ve never cried so hard in my life. Things had been absolutely awful, more so than I care to explain, and without knowing us or our situation this kind man helped us in ways he will never know.”

This is Tawny Nelson with three of her four kids.

Stranger Helps After Mom’s Car Breaks Down With Kids | POPSUGAR Moms

Two hours & nobody offered help? Boy that story sure didn’t take place where I live. People here are helpful. My wife once stayed with the car as I walked 50 ft to get some gas (we ran out on a hill). She had 5 people stop in the 5 or so minutes that it took me & that’s normal here.
As to the story, it’s a feel good story. I wish there were more of them.

Nobody gave her the time of day? Sorry bunch where she lives. I would not have been able to help(can’t find my dang jumper cables I though were in my trunk) but I have several people I could easily call and they would gladly come out and help.

I was a soldier on the way to Ft Ben Harrison Ind from Ft Benning Ga, wife and I in our car, traveling late at night thru Missouri. Its about 2 am and I hear a noise and a “slapping sound” that goes away. Thinking I just ran over something I pull over and look at tires, OK, then raise hood. There I find my alt belt laying on top of the engine. I am in the middle of nowhere and I know my miles are limited as the battery has to run the car and the lights.

A car goes by in the opposite direction, I hear it slow and a guy sticks head out the window and ask if I am ok. I tell him what has happened and he comes over and yea I got a problem. He tells me to put on my running lights only and get behind him we will drive till we get to a town. We do and no station is open, then goes on till dawn when we see a small truck stop open. The shop was open, but the mech was not there yet. They had a wall full of belts and by pure luck they had one for my car. From there it would be an easy job to install the belt. Next door was a Denny’s and the wife and I decided to go get some breakfast and by then the mech would be in. The guy that stopped said no, he needed to get home.

Wife and I came back from breakfast and my car was sitting on the driveway apron, the guy had not only bought the belt but he had installed it and then he headed home, well he had just driven 3 hrs in the opposite direction he was going and he was going home to see his family. He was a trucker working a major construction project in St Louis and he had about 5 hrs to to get back home.

When he stopped we talked and I told him I was a soldier, then this led to was I in Vietnam as he was and a Marine who had been at Khe San.

He was also a Marine who had been at Khe San in Vietnam when the US Army 1st Cav and me came in to relieve them and he was paying me back…he left a note in the car and it just said “Thank you Soldier, Semper Fi to you.”

Wish he had left some contact info and since he did not I have tried to pay that act of kindness forward ever since as I travel.

Depends on how rowdy the kids are. I saw something like this not too long ago. Some woman in the shopping cart area of a grocery store standing there with some kids. She kept staring at the ground, not making eye contact with anyone and mumbling something towards them as they walked past, while her kids were carrying on. I don’t know if she was asking for money, a ride, a jump, could be anything, honestly. If that’s how she did it(and it rather sounds like it), the results don’t surprise me.

People tend to be helpful, you just have to get their attention first.

[quote=“17Oaks, post:4, topic:49175”]
I was a soldier on the way to Ft Ben Harrison Ind from Ft Benning Ga, wife and I in our car, traveling late at night thru Missouri. Its about 2 am and I hear a noise and a “slapping sound” that goes away. Thinking I just ran over something I pull over and look at tires, OK, then raise hood. There I find my alt belt laying on top of the engine. I am in the middle of nowhere and I know my miles are limited as the battery has to run the car and the lights.

A car goes by in the opposite direction, I hear it slow and a guy sticks head out the window and ask if I am ok. I tell him what has happened and he comes over and yea I got a problem. He tells me to put on my running lights only and get behind him we will drive till we get to a town. We do and no station is open, then goes on till dawn when we see a small truck stop open. The shop was open, but the mech was not there yet. They had a wall full of belts and by pure luck they had one for my car. From there it would be an easy job to install the belt. Next door was a Denny’s and the wife and I decided to go get some breakfast and by then the mech would be in. The guy that stopped said no, he needed to get home.

Wife and I came back from breakfast and my car was sitting on the driveway apron, the guy had not only bought the belt but he had installed it and then he headed home, well he had just driven 3 hrs in the opposite direction he was going and he was going home to see his family. He was a trucker working a major construction project in St Louis and he had about 5 hrs to to get back home.

When he stopped we talked and I told him I was a soldier, then this led to was I in Vietnam as he was and a Marine who had been at Khe San.

He was also a Marine who had been at Khe San in Vietnam when the US Army 1st Cav and me came in to relieve them and he was paying me back…he left a note in the car and it just said “Thank you Soldier, Semper Fi to you.”

Wish he had left some contact info and since he did not I have tried to pay that act of kindness forward ever since as I travel.
[/quote] Just curious how you got so far off-course as to wind up in MISSOURI while traveling from Benning to Indianapolis??? That seems to be a bit out of the way to me.

Not everywhere, though, CW. I had a job that took me to Escanaba, Michigan, some years back. I anticipated that I’d be there for several months so I found a small, local church of my own denomination. I attended for 4 weeks straight and I’m STILL waiting for someone, including the pastor, to come up to me and welcome me to their congregation and that was 18 years ago! That would NEVER happen in Oklahoma.

Maybe where you live. Here if someone looks like they need help or even if they are just standing there it is common courtesy to ask them if they are all right. I have done it plenty for times to find out that some people do need help and others are fine.

Just because the kids are acting rowdy does not mean you should not render aid if you are able.

[quote=“Pappadave, post:7, topic:49175”]
Not everywhere, though, CW. I had a job that took me to Escanaba, Michigan, some years back. I anticipated that I’d be there for several months so I found a small, local church of my own denomination. I attended for 4 weeks straight and I’m STILL waiting for someone, including the pastor, to come up to me and welcome me to their congregation and that was 18 years ago! That would NEVER happen in Oklahoma.
[/quote]I find that’s church dependent. I’ve gone to churches where if I go up to someone and they don’t know me, they’re visibly uncomfortable and almost scared to talk to someone they don’t know. This is especially bad in parts of the South. But a different church of the same denomination, in the same city, everyone is friendly. About the only area I’ve lived where the church people were consistently warm and engaging was in California. Everywhere else has been a mixed bag. And that includes Missouri(which is pretty close to Oklahoma). The socially awkward people all seem to cluster in the same churches. I never give a church a second chance.

I’ve lived and worked all over the U.S. and my experience has been that the further north one goes, the colder the PEOPLE are towards strangers.

[quote=“Pappadave, post:10, topic:49175”]
I’ve lived and worked all over the U.S. and my experience has been that the further north one goes, the colder the PEOPLE are towards strangers.
[/quote]I’ve always found people in the Mid-West and West Coast to be nicer than Southerners when it comes to strangers. But I have never been to the North East.

Nice and friendly are two different things. Then again people on the West coast are to afraid to be mean, might hurt someones feelings, so you may be right. I have found Southerners to be friendlier. Northerners just seem uninterested in interaction with others and the West Coast…depends on where you are. Not had much interactions with the mid West though.

By “West” I was thinking of California and Arizona(plus Vegas). I’ve never actually been to Washington or Oregon. And what little I’ve been through Colorado and Utah is useless as I didn’t actually stay there at all.

I also don’t really consider Florida as part of the South(outside of Jacksonville). Virginia and the Carolinas are also generally nicer places. I guess I mean the “Deep South”.

Don’t worry. The South does not consider Florida as part of the South. lol

That is one cute mommy and the girl on the right has her mother’s smile.

I took a few days off enroute and the wife and I went to St Louis. In my military days I almost always took time off enroute assignments to visit some attraction that I might not get to otherwise.

She must live in California, it is amazing how shocked people are here when you extend basic courtesy and assistance; that may be true in all deep blue States but California is the only hopelessly blue States that I have a lot of experience in.

Great story!