All Adults in America Went Shopping on Black Friday Weekend

CNN reports that practically all Americans went shopping over “Black Friday” weekend.

“A record 247 million shoppers visited stores and websites in the post-Thanksgiving Black Friday weekend this year, up 9% from 226 million last year, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation released Sunday,” the CNN reports reads. The headline reads: “247 million shoppers visited stores and websites Black Friday weekend.”

CNN: All Adults in America Went Shopping on Black Friday Weekend | The Weekly Standard

This is why I dislike all inclusive statements like this because how do they really know. I do not go any where near a store that day and I know others who also did not either.

Now one might say that is irrelevant but the point is when I see stuff like this which is something made up by someone with out proof.

I went to the store and bought the same sorts of things typically do when I go to the store and it isn’t Black Friday weekend, groceries and a budget bin DVD. I went after the stupid sales rush was well over on Friday evening. Had the parking lot been jammed, I would have left and worried about it later. What would be interesting would be the number of people who showed up for Black Friday deals…

I was outside on Black Friday with my grandparents…clearing brush all day. That is how Americans should spend their time. Not trampling each other for crap on discount.

No shopping the whole weekend.

I went down to the tourist-trap store a mile and half away to buy a can of peaches and a couple of individual-serving fruit pies…

We went to Kohl’s Friday evening, but not for “deals”. Mrs. S in CA’s wallet was starting to wear out and she wanted to get a new one. I think my son went to Fry’s and bought an ADSL modem–wireless router combo … because he just moved into a new apartment and “needed” to get a modem-router (for mixed work and leisure usage); but he did that noon-ish. So we didn’t get into the early AM, gotta buy something, insanity.

I didn’t.

247 million shoppers visited stores and websites in the post-Thanksgiving Black Friday weekend this year …

Stores don’t have turnstiles to count those who enter and report to some central computer. Nor could they discern how many people visited one store vs. how many visited dozens. And while websites have hits counters, the same caveats apply. The 247M number, like the previous year’s are projections based on imprecise samplings.

Noticed the word, “visited”. If some one entered a store but left after not finding what they wanted, or were just idea shopping without buying, that was a “visit”. If some one visited a store’s website to get their location, phone number or hours, that would have been a “visit”. If some one was browsing news websites and got a pop-up ad in the process, that might have been a “visit”. Bottom line, these projections have as much to do with the image of reality the projectors want to create as with reality. Whatever political views the National Retail Federation may or may not have, they want to project an image that will encourage people to buy stuff, and right now that means an image of great bargains available for those willing snap them up and of general relaxed well-being and prosperity.

I happened to purchase someting via “Cyber Monday” completely by fluke.

A poster didn’t know what a canner looked like, so I hunted a pic. Now, I’ve needed one for some time now, but at near $200, kept passing 'em up in favor of other 'needs.
So, there I was, merely looking for a pic, and KAWHAM! - there’s one for $72.00!
I nailed it!!!

Good for you! The canner I once bought for (I think) about $30 is now closer to $100 (maybe over).

Edit: the handles on the lid were replaceable for 50 cents, I think. When I needed to replace one, it was $4.50. And that was quite a number of years ago.

$30?! That’s darlin’. Do ya still have it? Recall how many quarts it is/was, or how many jars it held?

I’ve been hobbling along w/a broken one, so am really just doing a ‘hot water bath.’ (Which, as you probably know, takes a LOT longer.) This one, altho a little trepeditious w/it being aluminum, not stainless steele, will put me back in business.
(A 16 qt. that’ll hold 10 pts. or 7 qts.)

Okay…back to the regularly scheduled program…

FWIW, I don’t believe the numbers either. And as was pointed out, it ain’t “Black Friday Weekend,” anyway. Nice try, though!

Yep, I still have it; will hold 7 quarts or 10 pints.

Giant Shark vs. Mega Octopus?

I went only if the standard Saturday morning grocery shopping and Sunday hardware store run for window insulating kits count.

I read that Time Magazine is reporting Black Friday sales way down from 2011 sales. And IIRC, 2011 sales weren’t nothin’ to brag on, either.

I did some window shopping today among other things and if they had any sales I could not see any.

[quote=“Cactus_Jack, post:13, topic:37274”]
Giant Shark vs. Mega Octopus?
[/quote]I think I started to watch something like that on Netflix the other night. No, no. Too budget.

What is IIRC?

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

tnx.