Alter2Ego Introduction

Quick Introduction in Q&A format!

1. What state do you vote in? I live in California.

2. Are you, or were you ever a member of the armed forces? No.

3. Does your username have any meaning? No. I just wanted something a little different.

4. What are 3 or more of your favorite books (not necessarily in order)? SIZE=3 Judeo-Christian Bible; (2) Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl; (3) Kidnapped. [/SIZE]

5. What is the most important topic for you in the next election? [SIZE=3]There are several competing topics, and I very much doubt they will[SIZE=3] be solved in the elections.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

6. How long have you been lurking around the forums before signing up? [SIZE=3]I signed up as soon as I found the forum; no lurking on my end.[/SIZE]

And our younger members would like to know:
7) What is your favorite music? [SIZE=3]Classical and Jazz
[/SIZE]
8) What galaxy are you from? (it’s not good enough we know the state of mind you’re in.) [SIZE=3]Earth, as in: “I am very down-to-earth.”
[/SIZE]
9) What are your favorite video games? [SIZE=3]I don’t play video games anymore[SIZE=3]. I used to, a few years ago.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Welcome!

Thank you for the welcome.

Welcome!!!

Welcome! Great place here! Hope to see you around!

ALTER2EGO -to- PETE S IN CA:
Thank you, Pete S. You seem to enjoy coloring your text as much as I do mine.

Just to let you know, I have had online accounts at literally dozens of websites. I use the same screen name wherever I go, and I tend to start threads on the same topics, because I find the topics to be meaningful. I am telling you all this now, to prepare you for when people start accusing me of being a “troll” or a “spammer” who posts the same thing all over the Internet. Those accusations always come from people who cannot overcome my arguments, and it will be an exaggeration on their part.

True, I debate the same topics wherever I go, but I am no troll or spammer. A troll is someone who posts things that are not on-topic with the intent of the opening post of a thread, and the troll does this for the sole purpose of irritating other people. A spammer simply posts things with no intention of debating what he/she posts.

I actively participate at all of the forums where I receive intelligent responses. Whenever I disappear from a forum on my own, it is often because the responses from others have either stopped, or else it has degraded into mud slinging. That’s when I will generally leave, although I will check in from time to time to see if someone posted something that I would like to respond to.

Again, thank you for the welcome.

Thank you, Classical Teacher.

Hi and welcome! I used to be bigger on Classical music than I am, but I still throw in a CD now and then; Classical and Baroque.

A2E, I’ve been using the same forum name in various discussion forums since 1998, and often post the same articles and comments in 2 or 3 different sites, RO being one. But I appreciate your mentioning this beforehand, even if it wouldn’t have been a red or yellow flag to me.

About trolls and spammers - they usually start by starting threads, rather than posting on topics. So if you post on an existing thread, unless there is some reason to think otherwise, no one is likely to suspect you of being a troll or spammer. And for the most part, you just need to avoid posting links to sites that might cause people to wonder (even if it’s your own) until you’ve been around for a while.

Welcome!

Spamsters make their intent clear and have trouble on RO posting threads outside of the Intro forum - they have to be here a week and have 10 posts before being able to post new threads.

Of trolls there are multiple species. Some are obvious, and post-and-run. Others are patient boundary-walkers, discerning whom from people of strong opinions takes time.

Thank you, Fantasy Chaser.

On the matter of Classical music, I am more into Beethoven but will occasionally listen to Mozart and a few others. If you get a chance, listen to the following Beethoven symphonies:

1. Symphony No. 7 in A Major
  2. Symphony No. 6 in F Major

Symphony No. 7 starts off very soft, but it crescendo’s and gets louder and louder, so you have to be ready to raise and lower the volume at certain points. I find both of the above symphonies to have a calming influence. They are great while commuting on a packed freeway or when having to deal with people cutting you off on the street, etc.

BTW: I’m also into the Beach Boys, Neil Diamond, Shirley Bassey, Dave Brubeck, The Righteous Brothers, James Brown, and many of those really good oldies. Young adults of today don’t realize what they’re missing out on.

I’ve never heard Beethoven’s 6th, but his 7th has long been a favorite. Kind of like the 5th and 9th. I like F.J. Haydn’s Trumpet Concerto in E-flat, Michael Haydn’s Trumpet Concerto in D, Rimsky-Korsakov’s Capriccio Espanol and Russian Easter Overture, Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition, a variety of Mozart including Eine Kleine Nachmusik, and for something more modern in the Classical genre, Copeland’s Appalachian Spring. For Baroque, I like a lot of Bach, including the six Brandenburg concerti, A lot of Vivaldi including The Four Seasons and some mandolin concerti, Handel including The Messiah, and Pachelbel’s Canon in D.

A lot of these I haven’t heard for a while because I only had them on cassette tape and not on CD (or in the case of The Messiah, the CD copy I have they tried to squeeze as many parts of it on as they could, and so they performed a number of my favorites too fast for my taste).

I haven’t listened to secular pop/rock much in recent years, although I have a couple of Beach Boys, a couple of Styx, and several Pat Benatar. Nowadays, I’ve been listening to Christian pop on the radio.

Welcome. I usually miss the intro threads.

By the way Pete, your welcomes always make me think of Christmas.

ALTER2EGO -to- PETES IN CA:
I have a lot to tell you in this message.

I’ve had accounts at literally dozens of websites. I move around a lot so that I can meet new people and respectfully discuss/debate my favorite topics with them. I am a female. I want you to keep that in mind when you read what males at various websites have told me in the weblinks provided below, and they did it while knowing that I am female.

In the beginning when I started doing online debates, I was at one single website (Black Planet). I was content with that, until the atheists and pagans at Black Planet’s Religion & Spirituality forum started cursing me out during my third month there. Then one pagan complained to the moderators that I was spamming up his threads. The moderators didn’t see anything wrong with me getting cursed out. But they banned me, without warning, for posting the same thing in two different threads. (I’ve since learned to never post the same thing in different threads at whatever website I register.)

Below is the weblink to me getting cursed out by at Black Planet. It will be the THIRD post on PAGE 6 of the thread. His opening sentence to me is as follows: [COLOR="#800000"]"then f*ck you too… " When you have time, read the entire post. I guarantee you will not be bored.[/COLOR].
Non-Christians From Jesus Era Confirmed His Earthly Existence - Topic - BlackPlanet.com

Below is another weblink to Black Planet where one pagan was posting sexually explicit insults to me. This went on for months, and the moderators did absolutely nothing about it. It will be the LAST POST on PAGE 6. The weblink will take you directly to Page 6, but you will have to scroll down until you get to the last post on the page. It will begin with: "You are still here?"
NEW WORD TRANSLATION BIBLE IS IT THE ONLY JW SOURCE OR A GOOD 1 AT ALL? - Topic - BlackPlanet.com

At the website below (it will be the FIRST POST on PAGE 14), the atheists made it clear they would not debate the topic of my thread and that they would focus on cursing me out to make me leave. I ended up putting most of them on “Ignore” and did not leave. Although I am still registered at the website, I haven’t posted anything there in weeks since there is no one there to hold an intelligent discussion with.
True Science Debunks Darwin’s Macroevolution Myth - Page 14 - Liveleak Forums

I will give you one last weblink (Agile Guitar) where several atheists cursed me out. The weblink will take you directly to POST 32. Read the entire Post 32 when you have time. Again, you are guaranteed to not be bored.
http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthread.php?tid=19271&pid=317879#pid317879

The moderator at Agile Guitar told me on the open forum–for the benefit of the atheists that were cursing me out–that I had no right putting anyone on “Ignore” because, to quote him, “Christians are supposed to turn the other cheek.” Would you believe the moderator blocked my account for a month soon thereafter so that I could no longer post on their website?

The above is just a tip of the iceberg. I could write a book about the behavior I have encountered at various online Religion forums.

Now, I’m not telling you any of this because I want sympathy. I’m telling you why I started off with one website and ended up joining many others. I never abandon accounts over the shenanigans of regular members. I simply put them on “Ignore.” If there’s no one to hold intelligent conversations with, I move on but will check in from time to time to see what’s taking place at the website.

At least, for the most part, you’ll find this a Christian-friendly site. It has also been rated as one of the cleanest sites on the internet. As for putting people on ignore, I think I have the record for that. I think my ignore count is around 58, although a lot of them were eventually banned, and several drifted away, never to be seen again. I’m not too sure that some of them haven’t been totally wiped off the roles of the site - but I think I still have the record for # of ignores. Maybe because I’m getting old, and don’t care for the stress of debate. But also, when you get some people who keep saying the same things that you (and others) have debunked a dozen times or more, it gets awfully old. And I simply cannot tolerate the Christian-mockers for very long.

ALTER2EGO -to- SUSANNA:
That’s good to know.

Unfortunately, my negative experiences are not restricted to atheist-dominated websites. Christians are very passionate about certain religious doctrines and do not care to have it shown to them that particular doctrines are not supported by scriptures in God’s inspired word, the Judeo-Christian Bible.

You certainly do have the record for number of people on “Ignore.” The highest I ever got was 22 people on “Ignore” at one website. Of the 22 “Ignores,” about five were Christians who devoted their time to slinging mud at me because I kept showing them scriptures that contradict a religious doctrine that they passionately believe in.

I usually give people a few chances before I put them on “Ignore”–unless they are using really foul language, then I will send them to “Ignore” immediately. I guess that’s why I never got past 22 “Ignores,” due to my tolerating some of the behaviors.

Thank you for the welcome, Bigfoot 88. I will be [SIZE=3]moving from this [SIZE=3]thread to the rest of the forum[SIZE=3], now that the introductions are over[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE].[/SIZE]

A2E, RO has its share of atheists, agnostics, don’t-cares, people who say they are Christians, and at least one guy who says he is a Buddhist. The atheist and agnostics here either don’t have that nasty corner in their vocabulary or check it at the door when coming here to post. Avoiding coarse language isn’t exactly a high standard of decency, of course, but to some degree it helps channel discussion toward ideas rather than personal junk and outright insults.

In the classics, I lean toward the later Romantics and Impressionists: Tchaikovsky; Smetana; Debussy; Rave; Holst; Grofe’.

Jazz: check out Ellington’s “Sophisticated Lady” and “Mood Indigo”; Benny Goodman’s “Sing, Sing, Sing” rocks!; Tommy Dorsey’s “Marie” is really nice. More recent: Wes Montgomery; Bob James; Earl Klugh; Chuck Mangione; Spyro Gyra.

In Contemporary Christian: Andrae’ Crouch; Phil Keaggy. Both really long careers (both started in the late 60s) and still active.