America is a rotting corpse

So, I’m enjoying my hootch this morning, and as I’m pouring from my big, Manly green Stanley thermos, I happen to look at the bottom.

In big, bold letters…

“Made in CHINA”

Doggone if they can’t even let my coffee alone.

We can’t even manufacture thermos’s anymore. :sad:

Well, no wonder, when they still made the glass-lined thermoses, it cost more for a replacement liner than for a new thermos.

I think mine is stainless steel. It stays hot all day, I know that.

I’m not complaining about the thermos itself, just that these used to be made here. No longer.

But what I said may indicate part of the reason that they are no longer made here.

It is hard to find things made in America these days. My friend collects refrigerator magnets from places he visits and on the back of 90% of them is says “Made in China”. We have a running joke that he has never really been to any of the places in the US or other countries but just keeps taking trips to China.

On a different note I by all my Christmas gifts from a metal working shop in PA. You may know of it Susanna. It is the Wendell August forge. I place custom orders all the time. it say that they are made and forged in America and i have seen no evidence to the contrary. That and I am most impressed with their work.

If it means anything, 3D printing may bring back the whole made in USA thing. Would take a bit of wind out of China’s sails… wouldn’t bring back jobs though. 3D printing may pretty much eliminate manufacturing jobs the world over.

All empires die from the inside. Lately, I’ve had the feeling that America is doing the same. We’re dying.

My gitfiddles are all American made.

The name seems to ring a bell, but I am not really familiar with it.

This reminds me of a story way back in high school. The Iraq War was still happening and there was this recruiter from the Marines who would come around every so often and he would also pass out these little American flags. I eventually got a flag of my own and I noticed that the American flag, given to me by the military, had a little “Made in China” tag on it. Just not right.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1793/7hbe.jpg

Wow, if there is a better example of irony I have not found it.

We artificially inflate the cost of doing business and intentionally increase the burdens every year, of course we are going to fall behind nations who do not punish and demonize the private sector.

We praise and honor government while we condemn profit.
We condemn excellence and competition while we reward mediocrity.
We look for excuses to further hinder progress while successful nations look for ways to encourage productive behavior.

As long as we choose leaders who have never run as much as much as a Kool-Aid stand we should expect to live in a dying nation.

While I of course agree that more economic freedom would be a good thing, I don’t think it’s the case that other countries are considerably better in this respect than we are, or that their success is a result of greater economic freedom.

Of the countries ahead of the U.S. in terms of economic growth, most of them are simply in a “nowhere to go but up” situation (the top 10 are places like Libya, Mongolia, Afghanistan, etc.). Of our industrialized peers, the countries ahead of us are places like Russia, Norway, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, and Iceland. None of these are bastions of the free market; of the countries ahead of us, only Australia and New Zealand rank above the U.S. in the Index of Economic Freedom. Of course, in terms of size of government, both Australia and New Zealand have considerably larger welfare states, including fully socialized medicine.

I would diagnose the problem rather differently. The problem in the U.S. isn’t economic (we’re still pretty damn good on that front), but rather one of identity. As this thread indicates, the U.S. is suffering from a crisis of self-confidence.

Are you willing to drop your job to start making thermoses in a thermos factory?

Except when human rights are involved, I hardly care where my consumer goods are made.

I’d say that with China, human rights are an issue. Same with Indonesia and maybe a few other countries that we import common items from.

I agree that Made in America isn’t sacred to me, but I do mourn for the reasons why America isn’t so competitive anymore; and one of the biggest is that the unions have priced American labor out of the market…

My job? Come on man, no way. The fact that manufacturing is now a nostalgia topic is a sad thing.

My grandparents, you could go through their house and garage and you’d have to struggle to find something not made in America.
No longer. In fact now, it’s the opposite.

I wasn’t even going into the “why,” because we all know why… It’s all George Bush’s fault. :howler:

Eh…it’s the fault of unions? Please. America has some of the weakest unions in the industrialized world. You’re all trying to politicize an issue that has almost nothing to do with politics. There is nothing that can be done policy wise (short of basically destroying our economy) to make America competitive with China, Mexico, etc., in labor. Their labor is too cheap. Americans aren’t going to work for a dollar a day, no matter what you do.

American manufacturing has changed, of necessity, into a specialized high-quality workforce (for the most part). For instance, if you want the best guitar in the world, it’s going to be made in the USA. There is no realistic policy option for making us competitive with (e.g.) China in mass manufacturing basic goods.

No its not, we no longer exploit our own population to make inferior goods. We still manufacture almost as much stuff dollarwise as China despite having less than a 1/4th the population. We manufacture the important stuff that takes skilled workers to make and the stuff that is to expensive to ship.