Anime Rocks!

This thread is for guys like me who don’t get out enough or anyone else who likes such things as Robotech, Cowboy Beebop, Those Who Hunt Elves, and such. Let’s play!

I am here!!! I have arrived!!! This thread is definitely for me. I’d like to start this whole thing off BY — asking the most important question! What’s your favorite animes, FC?

I have the entire Robotech collection (at least all the ones released in America). The first full length anime cartoon that I remember watching was Vampire Hunter D.

Before my wife and I got married I let her start watching the anime movies I had collected. I didn’t have that many, but I remember I got into them when I was 15 years old, living in Flagstaff AZ. The video store had like 9 movies in their “japanimation” section.
My wife ends up loving what she sees, and gets hooked. So she and I start buying up the newer animes to see what they’re like - and they don’t disappoint! THEN she makes the mistake of buying me the entire Robotech collection. That sets me off on a nostalgia trip because I was in love with that show as a kid, even though I had no idea what was going on in it. What can be cooler than an F-14 Tomcat that turns into a robot??? Watching it as an adult was a real treat, and provoked me to start buying a ton of Robotech toys for my 5 year old son. (This is because when I was a kid I always wanted Robotech toys, but I never got any! Not even one! When I’d ask for the stuff my parents and everyone else would just seem dumbfounded, like I’d made the name up or something)
So anyway, by now my wife and I have collected a TON of anime. It turns out that all these years Japan has been cranking out heaps of the stuff - and a lot if it is extraordinarily good. We’ve got plenty to choose from! Of course, this stuff is kryptonite for anyone without a vivid imagination. Tell anyone in Utah you like anime and they’ll look at you like you’re insane, if they even know what the stuff is.

I’ve got most of Robotech V-taped off of TV, and a couple of DVD’s. I have several other DVD’s, and wish I had about a hundred more. I have three unbuilt model veritechs: 1/72-scale VF-1A and 1/72-scale VF-1D from the Macross series, and a 1/48-scale Alpha from The New Generation series. I’ve got most of the novels (used to have The Sentinals and End of the Circle), and the three Robotech Art books. Have you seen Book II, G&C? It’s mostly full of original art from fans; some amatuer (but still good), and some professional, including Colleen Doran and David Cherry (brother of Sci-Fi author C.J. Cherryh).

My favorites of the new stuff are Read Or Die (more on this in a later post) and Cowboy Beebop: the Movie. I’ve never seen the Cowboy Beebop series, but the movie rocked.

By using the term ‘Anime,’ are you specifically referring to Japanese animation?

While I have found the quality of the actual art work in Japanese animation to be quite high, the actual motion seems quite stiff (almost non-existant) and/or cheesy to me. It’s almost like watching the old Clutch Cargo cartoons. That aninamtion stunk to high heaven but, they super-imposed actual moving mouths for the speech.

I always liked the ‘living animation’ format that was used on the Lord of the Rings movie that was made in the late 70’s and/or very early 80’s. However, that process proved to be too lengthy and expensive to ever be used in more of a handfull of cartoon movies. It was definitely too expensive for a regualr TV show.

I never got any Robotech toys either, I can’t complain though, I had LOTS of Transformers, G.I. Joes and Star Wars toys.

Cowboy Bebop the movie and cartoons are both good. I haven’t really watched any new stuff in a while. One of my personal favorites is the Guyver series and Bubblegum Crisis series.

A live action Transformers movie is coming out July4th, 2007----> http://www.transformersmovie.com/

HERE are some stills from the movie set.

[QUOTE=Elmira Viking]A live action Transformers movie is coming out July4th, 2007----> http://www.transformersmovie.com/

HERE are some stills from the movie set.[/QUOTE]

Aren’t you too old for transformers? :grin:

Nope. This movie is live action and the plot and the still’s all look awesome !! I’ll be doing my fatherly duties and taking my kids to go see it anyways.

[QUOTE=Fantasy Chaser]I’ve got most of Robotech V-taped off of TV, and a couple of DVD’s. I have several other DVD’s, and wish I had about a hundred more. I have three unbuilt model veritechs: 1/72-scale VF-1A and 1/72-scale VF-1D from the Macross series, and a 1/48-scale Alpha from The New Generation series. I’ve got most of the novels (used to have The Sentinals and End of the Circle), and the three Robotech Art books. Have you seen Book II, G&C? It’s mostly full of original art from fans; some amatuer (but still good), and some professional, including Colleen Doran and David Cherry (brother of Sci-Fi author C.J. Cherryh).

My favorites of the new stuff are Read Or Die (more on this in a later post) and Cowboy Beebop: the Movie. I’ve never seen the Cowboy Beebop series, but the movie rocked.[/QUOTE]

Nice models! I hope you get around to building those. During my quest to buy my son a plethora of robotech merchandise off of Ebay I discovered a toy company out of Japan called Yamato. They make 1/48 scale valkyries that are just awesome. They’re also rather pricey, at over 150 dollars a pop. I admittedly finally had to break down and buy one just to see what they’re like. Well, I guess my absence of childhood robotech-stuff in my psyche really kicked in, because I’ve ended up buyin’ a bunch of these for display! It’s okay though; they are gorgeous. I’ve customized some of them, so that’s given me a new hobby entirely. I also ended up with a bunch of other Macross valks. They’re addictive!

As for cowboy bebop - I haven’t seen it but I’ve heard it’s really good. It’s on my queue list for netflix, and I’ll probably end up buying it. I don’t have any Robotech art books and I haven’t seen them; the only art book we have is a Berserk TV series art tome that I bought as a gift for my wife. If you want to see some great stuff, I’d suggest getting a netflix account right away! They have everything and more. We’re signed up for the 8 DVDs at at time deal. (No, they’re not all anime movies coming, although I wouldn’t mind that!)

I’d recommend you check out Macross (which Robotech is based off of.) They have a movie based off of the series entitled “Macross - Do You Remember Love,” which is basically like the Cowboy Bebop movie you saw. It takes the entire Robotech/Macross series and sums it up in one giant movie, yet manages to do this in a unique format making the movie and series almost, but not quite, existing in parallel universes. I HIGHLY recommend buying this movie. Use froogle.com to find it cheap! And make SURE you buy Macross-Plus the movie, or the series (the movie IS the series with some scenes deleted, and others added - I own both.) Macross Plus is amazing, and sports all-new mecha and a great story line, top-notch animation, and a superb soundtrack.

PS: Protoculture in Robotech is an entirely different item than in Macross. In Robotech it refers to a power-source/fuel. In Macross, it’s a concept, referring to “the original humanoid civilizations.” These civilizations had evolved beyond constant warfare, and created such things as music and the arts. The Zentraedi, as you know, have a difficult time resisting the pull of becoming a part of protoculture.

[QUOTE=Conservative Libertarian]By using the term ‘Anime,’ are you specifically referring to Japanese animation?

While I have found the quality of the actual art work in Japanese animation to be quite high, the actual motion seems quite stiff (almost non-existant) and/or cheesy to me. It’s almost like watching the old Clutch Cargocartoons. That aninamtion stunk to high heaven but, they super-imposed actual moving mouths for the speech.

I always liked the ‘living animation’ format that was used on the Lord of the Rings movie that was made in the late 70’s and/or very early 80’s. However, that process proved to be too lengthy and expensive to ever be used in more of a handfull of cartoon movies. It was definitely too expensive for a regualr TV show.[/QUOTE] Yes, we’re talking about Japanese animation. I actually saw some episodes of Clutch Cargo. If the anime you saw was that crappy, then you haven’t seen any anime that’s worthy of the name. I don’t think I’ve seen any that was that cheap.

[QUOTE=Conservative Libertarian]By using the term ‘Anime,’ are you specifically referring to Japanese animation?

While I have found the quality of the actual art work in Japanese animation to be quite high, the actual motion seems quite stiff (almost non-existant) and/or cheesy to me. It’s almost like watching the old Clutch Cargocartoons. That aninamtion stunk to high heaven but, they super-imposed actual moving mouths for the speech.

I always liked the ‘living animation’ format that was used on the Lord of the Rings movie that was made in the late 70’s and/or very early 80’s. However, that process proved to be too lengthy and expensive to ever be used in more of a handfull of cartoon movies. It was definitely too expensive for a regualr TV show.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we’re talking about Japanese animation. It used to be called “Japanimation” in the states, but I guess it outgrew that term and became “anime” somewhere along the line. Many earlier Japanese animation films/series did in fact have bad animation. Great art work, bad animation. In highschool one of my drinking buddies named Pete lovingly referred to Japanimation as “crapanimation” because of this. But that didn’t stop the rest of us from watching it. We’d watch and re-watch the same films over and over again because we’d just never seen anything like it. Rated R cartoons with ultra-badzz heroes slaying anything in their path really appealed to us rowdy types. :slayer:
Newer anime is very different though. The art work is till top-notch, but the animation has also become very well done (in most series/movies.) They’ve even redone some of the old stuff and improved them tremendously, such as with Vampire Hunter D, and Fist of the North Star. With so much competition these days, the story lines and art work have become stunning. If you or anybody else would like, I can provide a list of recommendations. Heck, even pick a genre and I’ll guide you to the light!

[QUOTE=gutsandcasca]I’d recommend you check out Macross (which Robotech is based off of.) They have a movie based off of the series entitled “Macross - Do You Remember Love,” which is basically like the Cowboy Bebop movie you saw. It takes the entire Robotech/Macross series and sums it up in one giant movie, yet manages to do this in a unique format making the movie and series almost, but not quite, existing in parallel universes. I HIGHLY recommend buying this movie. Use froogle.com to find it cheap! And make SURE you buy Macross-Plus the movie, or the series (the movie IS the series with some scenes deleted, and others added - I own both.) Macross Plus is amazing, and sports all-new mecha and a great story line, top-notch animation, and a superb soundtrack.[/QUOTE]I don’t know if it’s the same thing or not, but I saw a book about a Macross movie in the late '80’s. I never saw the movie itself.
I’ve heard about Macross Plus, but I’ve never come across it.
The Robotech art books talk a little about the distinction between the Japanese originals and the American Robotech. The third book, though, was about the still-born Robotech: The Sentinals series, which was (I think) designed from the outset for the American market.
By the way, my favorite Robotech characters are Max and Miriya.

Oh well…that’s as good of an excuse as any other. :yes:

I’m kinda in that mode too.

[QUOTE=gutsandcasca]Yes, we’re talking about Japanese animation. It used to be called “Japanimation” in the states, but I guess it outgrew that term and became “anime” somewhere along the line. Many earlier Japanese animation films/series did in fact have bad animation. Great art work, bad animation. In highschool one of my drinking buddies named Pete lovingly referred to Japanimation as “crapanimation” because of this. But that didn’t stop the rest of us from watching it. We’d watch and re-watch the same films over and over again because we’d just never seen anything like it. Rated R cartoons with ultra-badzz heroes slaying anything in their path really appealed to us rowdy types. :slayer:
Newer anime is very different though. The art work is till top-notch, but the animation has also become very well done (in most series/movies.) They’ve even redone some of the old stuff and improved them tremendously, such as with Vampire Hunter D, and Fist of the North Star. With so much competition these days, the story lines and art work have become stunning. If you or anybody else would like, I can provide a list of recommendations. Heck, even pick a genre and I’ll guide you to the light![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I won’t bash anime any further for fear of the dreaded pro-anime dogpile. :freaked: :biggrin:

It seems that I watch a lot of SpongBob, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Odd Parents…mainly Nickelodeon with my son. A age 7, my son is into these cartoons but, he is starting to like the Transformers and other action cartoons.

[QUOTE=Conservative Libertarian]Thanks. I won’t bash anime any further for fear of the dreaded pro-anime dogpile. :freaked: :biggrin: [/QUOTE] Yeah, we anime-fans tend to be hard-core! Actually, some of the little-kid anime tends to be cheap, comparatively.

Max and Miriya are my favorites as well! You REALLY need to see Do You Remember Love (referred to as simply DYRL on Macrossworld.com). Max whoops Miriya in the movie, and it’s a great fight. Also, at this point in the movie Max is skull leader and piloting a VF1S instead of a 1A (identical to Roy’s just with blue marking instead of yellow.) This kind of raises the issue of “well why wasn’t Max promoted to skull squadron leader in the TV series if he was a better pilot than Rick?” DYRL also introduces the “strike armor,” which is a fast-pack with one of the backpack pieces being a cannon instead of a missile launcher. I’ll desist from giving more away. Needless to say, if you’re a robotech fan, you can’t miss this film. It’s a must-see.

I forgot to add; it’s rather unfortunate what ends up happening to Max and Miriya later on. In Japan there was a TV series released called Macross-7, which follows Max and Miriya into outer space on a ship-caravan called the Macross-7. Their marriage sort of ends up on the rocks, as Max deals with being captain of the fleet while Miriya struggles with her career as Mayor. (The focus of the series is a musician named Basara, and Max and Miria’s daughter… crap, I can’t remember her name.)

I have a question about fight sequences in anime. Why the heck do all the fight’s seem to start with the participant’s seeming to jump backwards ?.

[QUOTE=gutsandcasca]Max and Miriya are my favorites as well! You REALLY need to see Do You Remember Love (referred to as simply DYRL on Macrossworld.com). Max whoops Miriya in the movie, and it’s a great fight. Also, at this point in the movie Max is skull leader and piloting a VF1S instead of a 1A (identical to Roy’s just with blue marking instead of yellow.) This kind of raises the issue of “well why wasn’t Max promoted to skull squadron leader in the TV series if he was a better pilot than Rick?” DYRL also introduces the “strike armor,” which is a fast-pack with one of the backpack pieces being a cannon instead of a missile launcher. I’ll desist from giving more away. Needless to say, if you’re a robotech fan, you can’t miss this film. It’s a must-see.

I forgot to add; it’s rather unfortunate what ends up happening to Max and Miriya later on. In Japan there was a TV series released called Macross-7, which follows Max and Miriya into outer space on a ship-caravan called the Macross-7. Their marriage sort of ends up on the rocks, as Max deals with being captain of the fleet while Miriya struggles with her career as Mayor. (The focus of the series is a musician named Basara, and Max and Miria’s daughter… crap, I can’t remember her name.)[/QUOTE]In the series, Max and Miriya ended up flying VF-1J’s. I don’t care that the VF-1S had the extra pair of head-mounted lasers; I liked the “Juliets” better than the “Sierras”.

As to Max not being in a position of leadership, pilot skill does not mean leadership ability. Then there’s Ben Dixon, who had neither.

I’m afraid that there’s a lot that I will miss, as money is limited. Generally, when I get an anime DVD, I try to get something that I haven’t seen, even though I’d like to see the various Robotech/Macross spin-offs.

Which daughter of Max and Miriya do you mean? Dana was the first, and I think the second was Aroura (I went to confirm the latter’s name, but I couldn’t find my &#*$?!! copy of the final novel in the Southern Cross series! From what I remember from The Sentinals, Miriya nearly died giving birth to her).