Another example of playing the race card

Here we have another example of how white people are racist by convicting and sentencing to death a black woman for murdering a 71 year old neighbor. How many think this judge is going to commute this sentence to life in prison?? They didn’t give Aileen Wournos that courtesy…but, then again, Aileen Wournos was white.

Judge postpones Texas woman’s execution - U.S. News=

Wournos was a serial killer

BOP: According to the article, this woman was as well. She stalked her victims like Wournos and killed them for money–unlike Wournos. It is true that Wournos killed more, but that doesn’t negate the fact that just because McCarthy killed fewer people that she is less a serial killer. In my book, murder is murder. Many men have been sent to the death penalty for having killed only one person.

?? According to the linked article, the victim’s name was Booth:

Evidence showed McCarthy, who has exhausted her court appeals, phoned Booth to borrow a cup of sugar, then attacked Booth when she went to retrieve it. Booth was stabbed with a butcher knife, beaten with a large candle holder and robbed of a diamond wedding ring.

“(McCarthy) quite literally took the woman, put her left hand on a chopping block of the kitchen and then used a knife to sever her ring finger while she was still alive,” said Greg Davis, the former Dallas County assistant district attorney who prosecuted McCarthy. “She took the ring from the finger that had been severed and continued the attack until she finally killed her.”

Prosecutors showed McCarthy stole Booth’s Mercedes and drove to Dallas, pawned the ring for $200 and then went to a crack house to buy some cocaine. Evidence also showed she used Booth’s credit cards at a liquor store and was carrying Booth’s driver’s license.

And here are the names of the two previous victims:

Prosecutors presented DNA and fingerprint evidence that tied McCarthy to similar slayings of two other women in Dallas in December 1988. Maggie Harding, 81, was beaten with a meat tenderizer and stabbed.

Jettie Lucas, 85, was beaten with both sides of a claw hammer and stabbed. McCarthy was indicted but not tried for those slayings. She denied any involvement.

There’s a gap between BOP’s statement that the victim was a serial killer and the info in the article. That said, let’s stipulate for the sake of discussion that the 71YO victim was a serial killer. So what? Does that make her murder any less a murder? Or the perp’s playing of the Race Card 10 years after the trial any less frivolous and racist?

Thanks Pete! That is exactly what I was trying to say. Murder is murder and the penalty for premeditated murder is the death penalty or life without parole. To capitulate with her sentence even for a few days shows how far the accusation of racism goes in our culture. It seems that we have placed the “sin” of racism in place of the First Commandment.

Actually wournos probably should have gone to a mental facility

Why?

Because she was completely insane.

Not according to the psychological/psychiatric competency tests she went through before trial to determine if she was or was not insane–competent to stand trial. I think we all think that anyone who could commit such acts must be insane–and there is truth in that. However, the definition of “insane” in a criminal court is much different than the definition of insane otherwise. I believe she was a seriously wounded individual and had lots of issues in her psychological make-up and childhood. I believe she was also mentally stunted. But, she knew what she was doing when she murdered those men by the very fact that she tried to cover up her deeds.

I dunno maybe you’re right. The interviews of her show that she was clearly disturbed

If you kill someone, I’d say you’re pretty disturbed already.

[quote=“Trekky0623, post:11, topic:38006”]
If you kill someone, I’d say you’re pretty disturbed already.
[/quote]Killing for money, is evil, not disturbed.

Repeating something I mentioned previously, I looked over the article linked in the OP, multiple times. Where is the name “Wournos” mentioned? If mentioned in previous coverage of this case, a link thereto would be helpful.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:13, topic:38006”]
Repeating something I mentioned previously, I looked over the article linked in the OP, multiple times. Where is the name “Wournos” mentioned? If mentioned in previous coverage of this case, a link thereto would be helpful.
[/quote]She was a serial killer who killed, I think, 6 or 7 men, and was executed.

Yeah, it’s a separate person that was mentioned.

I brought up Wournos. It was not in the article. I was drawing a comparison: “Here we have another example of how white people are racist by convicting and sentencing to death a black woman for murdering a 71 year old neighbor. How many think this judge is going to commute this sentence to life in prison?? They didn’t give Aileen Wournos that courtesy…but, then again, Aileen Wournos was white.”

What’s the difference between “evil” and “disturbed”? Quantity? Motive? Evidence of sanity at the time of occurence?

Saying that killing someone is evidence of being disturbed is a pernicious psychological lie. We might say that soldiers in battle, homeowners reacting to an invasion, women facing rape, and men or women shooting their spouse’s lover, are all “disturbed”, justifiably disturbed, if you will. ‘Yes, sir. When he emptied the clip of the AK-47 in my direction and then proceeeded to reload, I became disturbed.’

Sway: I didn’t say that murder is evidence that someone is insane. What I said was that murdering another human being would seem to show evidence of some kind of mental disability. There is no question that anyone who commits murder, unless in the case of self-defense, is evil. Some murders are more heinous than others–ex: John Wayne Gacy vs. someone who kills another person in a robbery attempt. THAT’S NOT TO SAY THAT KILLING ONE PERSON VS. MANY IS ANY LESS AN EVIL ACT. But there are levels of heinousness to every criminal act. I don’t believe that a person’s mental stability should play a part in charging or prosecuting a murderer. However, when you have a case such as that lady (I forgot her name) who killed her children, it is clear that she was not in her right mind. She did not try to cover up the murders of her children. (Gosh, I wish I weren’t so forgetful!) But, I also agree that her sentence was just. Am I making any sense here??
:banghead:

I get ‘disturbed’ a lot lately, don’t go out and kill anyone over it, though I would celebrate if a certain plane crashed.

And that right there ^^^ is why our justice system sucks. It doesn’t matter if the person is “insane” or “normal”. They killed somebody in cold blood. It wasn’t an accident. Off them. Screw the life in prison garbage. Off em and be done with it. Save everyone the money from having to feed and house them for the rest of their lives.