Any old Navy Radiomen here?

Remember the old, even in the sixties, TBA’s, TBL’s, TBK’s? Now those were fun to set up on frequency and power up!

Also the TCS’s, and SRT’s! These were not so old at the time.

I’m not an Old Navy Radioman but I am an old ham operator that has known several ex-Navy radiomen.

Conservative Libertarian, Are you familiar with any of the transmitters I listed?

I’m not directly familiar with them. However, they do sound familiar wrt being military type equipment.

One thing that I have picked up through the years is a heavy OD green case that I believe to be a morse code practice set as well as being a CW keying unit. If I can dig up a model# from it, I’ll post it. It had some straight keys in the case as well as some CW related tone generators.

I was on watch in the radio shack (Main Comm) when the secret flash message came in that Thresher was missing. Sad time:sad:

It’s been so long ago. When I left the Navy I left it all behind me but brings back fond memories in my senior years. I used the KW-37 many times encrypting and decrypting call signs. I never mentioned the KW-37 for decades then it was on news one night about how the Walker family had sold it to the Soviets before I was even in the Navy. They had that machine that encrypted and decrypted our most secret communications, but they also needed more info to use it and that info changed constantly and randomly. The KW-37 itself was only one part of the key. They never had the ability to read our classified info in real time.

I spent hours practicing on a CW simulator, don’t remember the official Navy name for it.

In setting up the old “model t” transmitters you had to have a frequency meter. You set the freq meter dead on the frequency and tuned the transmitter to match it, lots of peaking and dipping of needles on guages, over and over until it was at a “zero beat”, meaning the transmitter was dead on frequency. It took lots of time to set all the transmitters up for an operation, and they constantly drifted off frequncy due to temperature, humidity, and vibration, so the transmitter man (me) was constantly on call. The old “T” models looked like something out of an old Frankenstein movie with their gigantic vacume tubes pulsating and glowing.
We had a few newer ones that you just dialed in the frequency and went to operating the CW circuit. They took all the fun out of it.