Arkansas experiences Global Warming

[FONT=Arial]For the first time since written weather history began in Arkansas (1819), snow has fallen in the month of May. This snow has set records for the latest snowfall and latest measurable snowfall in the state.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial]The previous latest snowfall ever recorded was on April 30, 1903 at Harrison, Gravette and Fayetteville. This was not measurable.
[/FONT]

The previous latest measurable snowfall was 0.2 inches at Corning on April 24, 1910.
Below is a list of snowfall measurements from National Weather Service cooperative observer stations through specified times on Friday morning.

Arkansas locations experience record snowfall, low temperatures for May - Magnolia Reporter - Magnolia, Arkansas News: Regional News
Now what we have here is global warming folks. With the latest thread to label everything caused by global warming I thought I would add this actual event.

Global Warming Ate My Homework: 100 Things Blamed on Global Warming | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

I wonder how the warmists explain that one!! :slight_smile:

Well if I’m not impressed to have our wee, dinky town in the news. Just not so happy why.
It snowed on all our vegetables. Of course we’ve been paying dillient attention to our garden, but the potatoes suffered a bit of frost, anyway. Luckily, it’s appears they’re pulling out of it.

As most here probably have gathered; it’s entirely likely that we’re headed for another mini-Ice Age. Lack of sun spot activity = less solar gamma radiation - that stuff that warms the earth, as you know.
Yes, I’m bummed that our garden may not produce as much this year, but what disturbs me much more are the big farmers who feed 1/3 of the earth’s entire population. Oh, they’re smart; no doubt about that, so I bet they get a good amount of it figured out. But even they’re smart enough to know that they can’t change the earth’s temperature.

Got a feeling it’s not going to be a fun couple of years, folks.
That’s not ‘doom & gloom.’ That’s just science.

A greenhouse is looking purtier by the moment.

Remember folks:

• If it’s colder than average, it’s just weather;

• If it’s warmer than average, it’s GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE!!!

Just like during the Irish potato famine, the corporate farms will sell their crops to the highest bidder, which will not be Americans, but more likely will be China and Russia.
The average American will compare more to the Irish serfs, who were left to starve while the crops they grew for their English landlords were sold to the highest bidders, who were surely not the Irish people who were slaves of the English landlords.
When the potato blight hit it destroyed the only crop the Irish serfs could grow on the pitifully small plots of ground they were allowed to grow their own food on. The rich English landlords would not allow the serfs to eat the very grain they were growing for the Landlord under penalty of law. If they were caught they would be arrested for stealing and severely punished, even killed as a warning to the rest. Many were sold as indentured servants to pay their fines. many were shipped to Austrailia’s Botany bay, (thus the song).
My point is, if there is a food shortage, don’t look for Americans to be fed first by our own Corporate Farmers.

I see you don’t know much about farming, nat. Much/most of the crops currently in the ground - whether at EEEEEEEE-vile corporate farms or family- and family-partnership-owned farms were sold months ago, before the current cold weather, probably before they were planted. Maybe this kind of hysterical populist @#$% about farmers would have a modicum of credibility were store shelves empty or food prices skyrocketing. I’ll probably visit Lucky later today, where I can check, but I don’t think either is the case.

Be more circumspect about the people who feed you, nat. Imagine where you’d be if they took a year or two off and just fed themselves!

Pete, don’t wish to make a mountain out of a molehill, but that’s only partically true. - that farmers have already sold the crops they’ve planted, I mean.
[JIC, some are unaware, we’ve major farmers in the family who count their fields in circles, not acres. (IIRC, a circle = 160 acres.) Some have 5 circles, others more, others less.]

Yes, some farmers have already sold their crops, but they only get a contract based on per bushell; not on an entire (hopeful) crop. If his crops yield a great deal, he’ll be well-off. But if his crops don’t yield very much, he obviously doesn’t pocket as much.

Some farmers, otoh, wait until the end of the season, hoping the prices will be high. I don’t need to explain how that could go.

Bottom line is, MUCH of that dependes on the weather. Too hot, too cold; too much rainfall, not enough; amount of snowfall in the winter; and a hail storm could devastate and entire wheat crop. And if he can’t get his ‘winter wheat’ in on time, he’s screwed. Causing a shortage, and you know where that goes.

—ALL of which is reflected on the price you see on the shelf; from corn, to beans, to flour, to meat. (And I haven’t even touched on the effects of each new EPA/Gov’t regulaton, nor the price of fuel to get them to market, nor the inabilty of barges to float down an empty Mississippi.)

Like I said, I have great faith in our farmers to overcome great odds. Their brilliance is WAY under-rated.

Still, if you haven’t noticed a major hike in prices on the grocery store shelves, you either shop so often that you don’t notice, or you haven’t been to one in a while.

Myself, I call .85/can for corn, $6.00 for a jar of mayonaise, and well over $4.00 for a gallon of milk, mighty pricey.