Asst. US Att'y exposed as online troll behind abusive comments about local officials,

Assistant U.S. Attorney exposed as online troll behind abusive comments about local officials and businessman
By Hugo Gye
PUBLISHED: 20:33 EST, 22 November 2012 | UPDATED: 20:33 EST, 22 November 2012

A federal prosecutor has been demoted after anonymously posting abusive comments on an online news site.

Jan Mann, who was First Assistant U.S. Attorney in New Orleans, doled out personal abuse and even offered opinions on cases she was working on, all under a ‘sock puppet’ pseudonym.

This is the second time this year that someone in the office of U.S. Attorney Jim Letten has been caught trolling online, and could endanger the senior prosecutor’s position.

Ms Mann’s online misbehaviour was unmasked by businessman Fred Heebe, a landfill tycoon whose company is under investigation by her office.

He had previously claimed the scalp of Sal Perricone, another assistant attorney who resigned in March after being sued for defamation over comments he had made about Mr Heebe on NOLA.com, a local news website.

And earlier this month, he filed a lawsuit against Ms Mann, whom he accused of posting at least 40 times on NOLA.com under the pseudonym ‘eweman’.

Whatever the merits of the case against Heebe, this US Attorney’s office’s lack of professionalism is making Larry, Moe & Curly look the epitome of decorum and professionalism!

Well…isn’t this just special.

This needs to be looked at as a possible virus infecting those in power all over the nation. Little fishes in little ponds long for the limelight.Especially attornies who don’t get the big buck cases. If one notices, all democrat congressmen/women are attornies and only about half or less republicans are attornies [after this election I’m not sure of the count]
I have been in on some discusions with my former town newspaper friends over some crony nepotism and poorly advised projects. I’m sure this is not a rarity in public politics.

From the article:

After Ms Mann’s exposure, Mr Letten issued a statement confirming that she had been posting at NOLA.com, and adding that she had been reassigned to a more junior position in his office.

He doesn’t have cause to fire her outright for ‘misconduct’, to put it politely?

I gotta crack up a little, though, 'cuz I was just gonna say how stupid people are to believe that their comments on FaceBook are actually private when I read at the bottom of THIS article that it says to ‘follow us on Twitter and Facebook’.
Oh, the irony. LOL.

Gotta ask, though. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Just how is it prospective employers can read and find out about you on Facebook when you’ve got privacy settings that (supposedly) only allow your ‘friends’ to read?
I realize many a person has gotten nixed from employment and/or even fired from a job due to it. Are the posters just dumb about their privacy settings, or what?

(Btw, I joined Facebook. For about 3 minutes. I found out more about people, “You may also know”, than I ever wanted to know. Dropped that idea like a lead balloon in a heartbeat.)

I found that there was probably a good reason why it had been 15-20 years since I had contact with some people. LOL!

From 2c:

Gotta ask, though. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Just how is it prospective employers can read and find out about you on Facebook when you’ve got privacy settings that (supposedly) only allow your ‘friends’ to read?

From the article:

And earlier this month, he filed a lawsuit against Ms Mann, whom he accused of posting at least 40 times on NOLA.com under the pseudonym ‘eweman’.

NOLA.com is the website for the New Orleans Times-Picayune, probably the largest newspaper in Louisiana. My guess is that things Mr. Perricone and Ms. Mann said in their comments on NOLA.com news/opinion articles caught the attention of Mr. Heebe or his attorney, and over time they found enough particulars known only to a few in their comments to pin down who the annoymorous commenters were. And if Perricone and/or Mann used the same nom-de-keyboards on other news sites or on discussion sites, it would have made the process of figuring out who they were all the easier.

Pete, I realize the article was talking about a newspaper. People wouldn’t be too difficult to figure out; esp. if you know the person already.
(Just look how easy it is when someone changes a username, whether the same BB or not.)

I was hijacking in wondering about FB and prospective employers who’ve only met a person once or twice.

Anyway, people are idiots in either case if they believe they’re all that anonymous or private.

The Untold Story of the Shenanigans in a Federal Prosecutor’s Office in Louisiana — and Why Eric Holder Should Be Asked About ItThe judge is not pleased with the DOJ…