Atheism's and Hawking's hypocrisy

Interesting article on Stephen Hawking and his atheistic “morals”.

Hawking’s Moral Calculus - Mona Charen - Page full

Yep, so much for atheistic “morals” . . .

With all due respect that article was complete crap

Don’t see what this has to do with Atheism. Soviet-bloc nations (CS in particular) provided Israel with equipment to match what the invading Arab armies had (heavy tech) during Israel’s war of independence, Stalin created a Jewish Autonomous Oblast in the USSR (still exists today in Russia although most of the Jews have migrated to Israel or live in European Russia) and immediately recognized Israel’s independence as well.

I’m an atheist and I support Israel on most issues, excluding settlement expansion, I just don’t base my support on some irrelevant “God-given land” idea which doesn’t make sense even from a theological perspective, as Jebby has explained, let alone the fact that thousand year old prophecies have no place in modern political negotiations.

You can make the case that Hawking is hypocritical, but it has nothing to do with Atheism.

I got pleasure from reading all the different groups boycotting the Israeli government and their apartheid practices

No one is asking you to believe that God gave the Israelites the “Promised Land”. It doesn’t matter what you or anyone else believes about this. What’s important is that regardless of your personal beliefs (regarding God), those religious beliefs of others is respected–just as we are expected to respect the faith of islam, or buddah, Hindi, Jehovah’s Witness, Mormon or Quaker. The important issue here is that Israel believes they have a God-ordained right to the land on which they live.We don’t have a right to determine the action or inaction of God in the lives of others. However, after saying all of this, I want to remark that of all the atheists on this forum, you are one of the most respectful. I appreciate that more than you’ll know. And, I’m sure others appreciate that as well.

P.S. In my opinion, one’s religious beliefs or non-religious beliefs DO affect how they think, feel and act in most things. I do think that Hawkings atheism does, in fact, have a lot to do with his actions in this instant. But, as I said, it’s just my opinion.

Methinks the article was just a tad bit biased…anyways Hawking can do what he pleases as far as Israel is concerned, even if I don’t necessarily agree with it he has his reasons and his own opinions.

Bolded: What I meant is that religious beliefs are not a valid basis for the existence of a state (the Muslims probably also believe that they have a God-given right to that land along with any other land they have held previously, if I remember correctly). Respecting religious beliefs does not extend to validating geopolitical changes based solely on belief. My support for Israel stems from the right of national self-determination that Jews, as a national as well as religious group, possess.

Thank you for the kind words :slight_smile:

That doesnt make him immune from criticism