ATTN Women and People of Color - Can you help?

Hello,

I am a psychology student working on a self-reflective project (This is not for publication - only my own exploration). I am interested in women and people of color’s experience as political conservatives and/or Republicans. If you identify as any of these and could answer some of the following questions, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advance!

1. What do you think is most misunderstood about members of your party?
  2. What would you most like people to know about members of your party?
  3. How do you see yourself within the party?
  4. Do you ever feel as if you are judged negatively for your participation in the Republican party? If so, how? Examples?

SPAM!

Welcome, helpmeunderstand. I am a woman–conservative–and I feel just fine! :slight_smile:

CL: I remember that skit! I was a very young woman at the time!

I think it would be better for you to tell us about yourself before you start asking questions here. Why don’t you fill out your “survey” in the upper right hand corner of your name? We like to learn more about new members before we start answering questions…

I have filled out my profile in hopes that it is useful to members. To tell you a bit more, I likely have different political views than most members here; however, I am open and seeking to have a better understanding of what it is like to be politically conservative. I think both parties likely misunderstand one another which leads to unnecessary and counterproductive anger and frustration. I simply hope to get a sense of what it is like to be conservative/Republican and how you feel perceived by others…I hope that helps to clarify.

I couldnt disagree more. After 33 years of ideological based parties they parties themselves have nearly the exact opposite view on most issues. Beyond the rabble rousing and hateful rhetoric that will always be spewed by radicals on both sides, the parties understand each other all to well which is why you have the most “liberal” republican voting more conservative than the most “conservative” democrat. This is causing the gridlock in washington more than anything else, there is almost no middle ground left.

I simply hope to get a sense of what it is like to be conservative/Republican and how you feel perceived by others…I hope that helps to clarify.

Why did you only ask about minotiries and women then? your post seemed a bit like calling them uncle toms and it reeked of trolling

The assignment is to interact with a group to which we do not identify in an attempt to understand what it is like to be in their shoes. An instructor recommended speaking with people of color and women as they are a minority within conservatives as a group. They perhaps experience more criticism for belonging to the group than White men as some feel women and people of color are negatively impacted by conservative policy. In other words, people may ask them how they can belong to such a group and, therefore, have more experiences of being misunderstood.

So you are going to call them uncle toms and then ask them to defend why they arent, do you honestly think that will yield anything of value?

If you really want to understand someone elses views its probably not wise to start out attacking them

I am not sure where exactly you perceived an attack. I am also not implying that you do not “feel fine”. I simply wonder what things you would clear up for those who perhaps disagree with your positions or view you negatively as conservatives. What would you have them know? There is no need to be defensive and Uncle Tom is an incredibly offensive and derogatory term I’d prefer you did not use in this thread.

Not all conservatives have the same views on everything and likewise not liberals view conservatives policies the same way. If you have a specific policy and and specific criticism of the policy I would be glad to address it. As for the conservative view in general, I would say that if you want to understand a conservative mindset you must view it the context that conservatives think their policies benefit all races, classes and genders. If you start with the opinion that conservative polices are geared to hurt women and minorities then you are starting from a position of ignorance and hate and you will learn nothing.

There is no need to be defensive and Uncle Tom is an incredibly offensive and derogatory term I’d prefer you did not use in this thread.

Claiming that conservative women and minorities support polices that harm them is pretty much the definition of uncle tom, if you dislike its use in this thread then I suggest you rethink your apporach

I do not wish to argue policy. Additionally, I am not criticizing policy regarding women and people of color, but simply stating the fact that some question members of those groups who identify as conservative. When you discuss how you feel you help members of diverse groups, you get more at the original question - how you may be misunderstood/how you’d like to be perceived…although, I do not know if you identify as a member of one of the groups I requested respond.You are using Uncle Tom quite loosely. The historical context of the term makes it inappropriate to use in any context.

That is exactly the type of divisive hateful rhetoric that I am talking about but by trying to introduce it as legitimate criticism it is making things worse. There will always be people on both sides who spew out that junk simply because they dont like the other side, their perceptions and misconceptions will never change. If you want to truly figure out conservatives ask all of them, but by introducing the hateful rhetoric you are only going to get negative responses.

You are using Uncle Tom quite loosely. The historical context of the term makes it inappropriate to use in any context.

Uncle Tom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is similarly used to negatively describe a person who betrays their own group by participating in its oppression, whether or not they do so willingly

It seems to fit like a glove

Uhhhh…I’m not sure, but I don’t think I buy this. What makes your instructor think that women are a minority amongst conservatives? Why would this instructor think that “people of color” are a minority in the republican/conservative party? If this is what your instructor has said, then he/she is buying into the lie that the republican/conservative party is at “war” with minorities and women. Have you not heard of the Black Republicans? Check out “Project 21”. You’ll find gobs of “people of color” who identify themselves as conservatives and republican. Check out “Feminists for Life”. How old are you anyway? Also, the SURVEY is not the same as the profile. The survey gives you an opportunity, and the rest of the members here, to know your specific views on specific topics. It would be helpful to us if you would fill it out.

“Uncle Tom” was made into a negative and pejorative term by progressive liberals 50+ years ago! If you or anyone else had read “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” you’d find Uncle Tom as being exactly the opposite of what you might think it means. That is a perfect example of why public schools are a total disaster.

[quote=“helpmeunderstand, post:12, topic:39874”]
I do not wish to argue policy. Additionally, I am not criticizing policy regarding women and people of color, but simply stating the fact that some question members of those groups who identify as conservative. When you discuss how you feel you help members of diverse groups, you get more at the original question - how you may be misunderstood/how you’d like to be perceived…although, I do not know if you identify as a member of one of the groups I requested respond.You are using Uncle Tom quite loosely. The historical context of the term makes it inappropriate to use in any context.
[/quote]

You have proved my point. You’ve never read the book.

"The phrase “Uncle Tom” has also become an epithet for a person who is slavish and excessively subservient to perceived authority figures, particularly a black person who behaves in a subservient manner to white people; or any person perceived to be a participant in the oppression of their own group.[1][2] The negative epithet is the result of later works derived from the original novel."

You would have known this already if you had read the book.

Let me also state that any teacher who would recommend to his/her students to join some discussion group to ask questions regarding an assignment is an idiot. In addition, if this truly is an assignment, it is also clear that you have no idea how to conduct scholarly research. The last place one would go would be to an internet discussion forum. True researchers very seldom, if at all, accept personal opinions, polls or personal judgments as credible data for analysis in any academic inquiry. The fact that you don’t seem to know that tells me more about what you aren’t.

Does this: “At the time of the novel’s initial publication in 1851 Uncle Tom was a rejection of the existing stereotypes of minstrel shows; Stowe’s melodramatic story humanized the suffering of slavery for White audiences by portraying Tom as a Christlike figure who is ultimately martyred, beaten to death by a cruel master because Tom refuses to betray the whereabouts of two women who escape from slavery. Stowe reversed the gender conventions of slave narratives by juxtaposing Uncle Tom’s passivity against the daring of three African American women who escape from slavery.” sound pejorative? If anything, calling someone an “Uncle Tom” would be one of the highest compliments attributed to anyone.

Try reading the book before you make such statements–especially in the presence of a teacher.

I read your profile. You are a doctoral student in psychology? Geesh! I worked with hundreds of them at a Florida university and believe me, you do not seem at all like a doctoral student. Doctoral students I knew would never have the time to be asking such questions on an internet forum. If you are, well, good luck with all that!