Au revoir to 2012; an Awful Year

2012 was a lousy year. For the world, the U.S., and personally, in no particular order.

On the world front, things were equally grim. We suffered:

[LIST=1]
[]A patternless, boring, theme-less, and ultimately disastrous Presidential election;
[
]The Newtown School massacre;
[]Continued Iranian progress in building a nuclear bomb;
[
]Congressmen and Senators, who dress up like adults, unable to conduct vital business while the country heads for the fiscal cliff;
[]Economic chaos in Europe;
[
]A snowless winter, followed by, apparently, another snowless and drab winter; and
[*]I’m sure there’s more.
[/LIST]

Also there was Hurricane Sandy, a storm that wasn’t exciting, just dreary. The three or four hours of audible winds were not recompense for shivering in cold houses for days, or having to rely on houses of worship for warmth and recharging.

A more dreary, depressing year on the world stage is hard to imagine.

On a personal note, the year started with my mother being scheduled for supposedly minor surgery. She was re-hospitalized within two (2) days of discharge and didn’t get out of the combination of the hospital or rehab for five (5) weeks. The after-care, in a well-regarded hospital, verged on barbaric. As it was, the supposedly minor condition for which she was hospitalized is probably terminal.

While I have been blessed with superb health (only some extensive dental work and a nasty colonoscopy for me) my mother’s problems didn’t end it for health problems in my family. Four our of my children’s six grandparents suffered illnesses of varying but severe intensities over the year, three of them involving hospitalization.

My workplace of 26 1/2 years suffered some financial reverses which have impacted me. Luckily my job is safe but four of our firm, or just under 1/3, have already been let go and salaries cut. We’re merging in a few days and who knows what the future holds.

Au revoir to 2012. It is not a fond farewell. Another year like it I hope never to have again.

2012 sucked no matter how you look at it.

My wife was diagnosed with cancer.
My son needed braces.
I had to become the equivalent of 4 people at work (I guess that I’m supposed to feel lucky about this so that I can pay for the 50% that aren’t working).
50% of the US are idiots and re-lected Obama.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:2, topic:37605”]
2012 sucked no matter how you look at it.

My wife was diagnosed with cancer.
My son needed braces.
I had to become the equivalent of 4 people at work (I guess that I’m supposed to feel lucky about this so that I can pay for the 50% that aren’t working).
50% of the US are idiots and re-lected Obama.
[/quote]I hope your wife does well. I have also had to do the equivalent of multiple people at work. And I found out that one of the people whose been with us for seven years and has been on virtually part time for a year and on maternity for the last four months makes almost as much as I do. Either she did not get the “uniform” 20% pay cut or she was given a huge salary before, for effectively doing nothing.

It hasn’t been a particularly good year for me, either, but there are upsides. Right now, I’m trying to get over $900 in insurance money that was never paid to my hospital (looks good, though, fortunately); I also had extensive dental work - well, it amounted to having 12 teeth pulled, and full upper dentures and a new lower partial. The real down side to that (besides the cost) was that the teeth weren’t even decayed - they were just breaking up. I had my 4th colonoscopy in about as many years - and I’m done with that! I’ve had enough - it didn’t diagnose my particular problem, anyway. I also had cataract surgery. The upside to that is - I can see! Wow! I knew my eyes were bad, but didn’t realize how bad until I had the first cataract removed. Anyway, I’m doing OK, but we are closely watching my adopted great niece who had a bone marrow transplant in May, and is still in Children’s Hospital at Pittsburgh. The transplant went OK, and solved the particular problem that it was aimed at, but she keeps having set-backs in complete recovery.

So - it may not have been a good year in many ways, but God is still in control! Prayers are going up for your families, JBG & CL.

[quote=“Susanna, post:4, topic:37605”]
It hasn’t been a particularly good year for me, either, but there are upsides. Right now, I’m trying to get over $900 in insurance money that was never paid to my hospital (looks good, though, fortunately); I also had extensive dental work - well, it amounted to having 12 teeth pulled, and full upper dentures and a new lower partial. The real down side to that (besides the cost) was that the teeth weren’t even decayed - they were just breaking up. I had my 4th colonoscopy in about as many years - and I’m done with that! I’ve had enough - it didn’t diagnose my particular problem, anyway. I also had cataract surgery. The upside to that is - I can see! Wow! I knew my eyes were bad, but didn’t realize how bad until I had the first cataract removed. Anyway, I’m doing OK, but we are closely watching my adopted great niece who had a bone marrow transplant in May, and is still in Children’s Hospital at Pittsburgh. The transplant went OK, and solved the particular problem that it was aimed at, but she keeps having set-backs in complete recovery.

So - it may not have been a good year in many ways, but God is still in control! Prayers are going up for your families, JBG & CL.
[/quote]I guess we have a lot in common, especially on the dental expense. i have been playing tage with a problem that started in 1963 that led to root canals in 1974 and 1983, and now a crown that’s costing me about $3400.

Cheers.

Yes, even though the year stunk, it could have been worse. My wife has had the best outcome possible thus far. I’m glad to hae had another another anniversary and Christmas with her. My son’s teeth are doing great (For $6K they should). I did just receive a reasonable raise for being so many people at the same time. I would rather have someone to support my projects as opposed to trying to do it all.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:6, topic:37605”]
Yes, even though the year stunk, it could have been worse. My wife has had the best outcome possible thus far. I’m glad to hae had another another anniversary and Christmas with her. My son’s teeth are doing great (For $6K they should). I did just receive a reasonable raise for being so many people at the same time. I would rather have someone to support my projects as opposed to trying to do it all.
[/quote]Trouble is in connection with the layoff of others all remaining people in theory took a cut. I don’t believe for a minute those cuts were executed in an equitable manner.

Doesn’t look like it.

My mother lived her first full post cancer year
My daughter and son in law brought my first Grandchild into world, a happy healthy little girl.
A couple business gambles worked out, rendering my first “in the black” year since 2009.
3 of my nieces have announced that they are having babies to arrive in 2013.
Another niece survived a serious car crash with no significant injury to anyone.
All of my kids are old enough now to be interacting with adult world work & responsibilities and each is making me quite proud when I hear the reports from others about their character.
My family and friends are all healthy, warm, dry and well fed at this point and many have reason for optimism regarding the future.
Since my work slowed down I have become the head babysitter for my new Granddaughter who greets me every day like this;

On the political front:
The GOP has finally “come out of the closet” regarding their hatred for Conservatives, making a long overdue exodus of Conservatives a real possibility and the restoration of America by extension may have a glimmer of hope as a result.

California has chosen to “double down” and fall on it’s Liberal sword, assuring the end of a long torturous era and a chance for rebirth when we default on our commitments in 2013.

I certainly lament all the suffering that those who have placed their faith in government are enduring now and will increasingly endure as we reap the harvest of our selfish and irresponsible voting but the time has passed where “winning the argument” could avert a disaster, the best we can do now is connect the pain to the fallacy’s we have embraced so a new concept can arise from the ashes.

I choose to see 2012 as the beginning of the end of a terrible course with much to celebrate amidst the turmoil. I have learned the hard way that pain is just as worthwhile when it leads to correction as it is worthless when it leads to more error.

The arguments from Conservatives (clearly stated as not Republicans) will make this difference.

Congrats on the good things that have happened for you this year. Just because others or my year sucked doesn’t mean that it had to suck for others.

On the bright side, I was able to have another anniversary and Christmas with my wonderful wife. That is good no matter how you look at it.

[quote=“RET423, post:9, topic:37605”]

My mother lived her first full post cancer year
My daughter and son in law brought my first Grandchild into world, a happy healthy little girl.
A couple business gambles worked out, rendering my first “in the black” year since 2009.
3 of my nieces have announced that they are having babies to arrive in 2013.
Another niece survived a serious car crash with no significant injury to anyone.
All of my kids are old enough now to be interacting with adult world work & responsibilities and each is making me quite proud when I hear the reports from others about their character.
My family and friends are all healthy, warm, dry and well fed at this point and many have reason for optimism regarding the future.
Since my work slowed down I have become the head babysitter for my new Granddaughter who greets me every day like this;

[/quote]I am grateful and glad that the year, on balance, was a good one for you. Most years past had been for me as well, so I don’t enjoy spewing bile.

Here we part. While I am still a Democrat I am in agreement with conservatives on some issues. I do not think any party or the country benefits if the right moves off into an echo chamber and has no ability to influence events outside of their states or counties.

California has chosen to “double down” and fall on it’s Liberal sword, assuring the end of a long torturous era and a chance for rebirth when we default on our commitments in 2013.
[/quote]They seem to be lemming-like and enjoy cliffs. Agreed.

I certainly lament all the suffering that those who have placed their faith in government are enduring now and will increasingly endure as we reap the harvest of our selfish and irresponsible voting but the time has passed where “winning the argument” could avert a disaster, the best we can do now is connect the pain to the fallacy’s we have embraced so a new concept can arise from the ashes.

I choose to see 2012 as the beginning of the end of a terrible course with much to celebrate amidst the turmoil. I have learned the hard way that pain is just as worthwhile when it leads to correction as it is worthless when it leads to more error.

The arguments from Conservatives (clearly stated as not Republicans) will make this difference.
[/quote]I hope there is a way to such a better course. I am not as optimistic but we shall see.