Balsamic Vinegar

About two years ago was when this happened.

It was about 9PM, and Lynn had already gone to bed about an hour earlier. I was tired too, and planned to watch a little TV and have some pretzel sticks, and then retire.

I went to the pantry to get the bag of pretzels out, and as I was dragging them off the shelf the bag hit a bottle of balsamic vinegar and knocked it off. It fell to the floor of the pantry, and the floor is hard tile, and the bottle was glass, and it was nearly full . . . and . . . CRASH!!!

Yikes . . . what a mess. As I’m sure you know, balsamic vinegar is a brown smelly liquid. So, there was broken glass and about sixteen ounces of smelly brown liquid all over the floor of the pantry. Plus, we keep a plastic bag for empty cans to recycle on the floor of the pantry (no, I’m not an environmental Nazi, but Lynn is), along with some other stuff, and it was all coated in balsamic vinegar. And the puddle of liquid was flowing all over and under stuff.

I saw that I was standing in it, so I realized that I would have to take off my shoes and step in a clean spot in my socks if I didn’t want to track it all over the kitchen. Now imagine me, with my unsteady gait and poor balance (Ataxia/ataxia), trying to untie my sneakers one at a time, and trying to step a foot over into a clean spot. I had to stand on one foot to do that. Standing on TWO feet is a challenge for me, so this was a real circus act.

Somehow I managed to do it without falling down. For a moment I thought about calling out to Lynn, but she was sleeping soundly and I thought that maybe I could handle this myself, so I decided not to wake her up.

When I finally got to a clean spot in my stocking feet, I was so stressed out that I decided to go back into the living room and sit down in my chair and think about this. As I sat there, I thought to myself, “I’m tired, just want a few pretzels, just want to relax a little and watch the end of a movie before going to bed . . . and I really don’t need this.”

When I got up, after about 5 or 10 minutes of agonizing over it, and went back into the kitchen, I saw that the balsamic vinegar puddle had now migrated under a lot of other stuff on the floor of the pantry.

At first I tried to get it with some paper towels, but the effort of bending over and trying to reach into the back of the pantry floor was very exhausting, especially considering my “condition”. So I’d wipe some up and then go sit down in the living room for a few minutes before wiping more. After about a half hour of that routine, I figured that I’d get to bed sometime in about a week, so I had to think about doing something else to clean it up.

I went out into the garage to think about this some more (men do their best thinking in a garage), and while I was out there I saw a sponge mop standing in a corner. Light bulb . . . idea. So I took the sponge mop back in with me and decided to try that. Now imagine me with my unsteadiness, trying to push a mop back into the far reaches of the pantry. With every thrust forward, I darn near fell over, but somehow I managed without falling.

That effort was also exhausting, so I went back to my living room “10 minute break” routine. Mop. break, mop, break . . .

I finally got it cleaned up enough in the pantry, but I now saw that in all these efforts, some of the balsamic vinegar had gotten out onto the kitchen floor (for example, one time it did when I lifted out the bag of cans on the pantry floor and set them down on the kitchen floor - because the bag was dripping and I couldn’t carry it over the carpet into the garage).

So now I saw that I’d have to mop up the entire kitchen floor. Mop, break, mop, break . . .

When I got done, or thought I was done, and the floor dried, I walked over it. I could hear and feel my sneakers sticking to the floor. More mop, break, mop, break . . .

Finally, I had gotten enough done that I thought at least it’s cleaned up mostly. I sat down in the living room, had some pretzels, watched the end of the midnight movie, and went to bed.

Next morning when Lynn got up and went out to the kitchen, I asked her if she noticed anything. She said yes. She noticed that the kitchen floor was cleaner looking, but that it was also sticky and covered in small shards of glass (her shoes stuck and crunched over the floor), and the grout between the tiles was “darker”, and the whole house smelled like vinegar.

I told her the story, she cleaned up the rest of it, and she moved all the glass bottles in the pantry to the bottom shelf and put them at the back of the shelf.

And all I wanted was a few pretzels and to watch the end of a movie and then go to bed. Geeezzzz . . .

Such is the curse of having this lack of coordination disability.

As usual, your stories are hysterical. I can definitely relate! I don’t know why it is, but the simplest tasks seem to take on a life of their own–sort of like a snowball turning into an avalanche. I seem to encounter those almost on a daily basis! Thanks for a good chuckle, Bob!

[QUOTE=ClassicalTeacher;bt368]As usual, your stories are hysterical. I can definitely relate! I don’t know why it is, but the simplest tasks seem to take on a life of their own–sort of like a snowball turning into an avalanche. I seem to encounter those almost on a daily basis! Thanks for a good chuckle, Bob![/QUOTE]Yes, it wasn’t funny at the time, but now looking back on it, it IS.

There are a lot of experiences like that . . . where in the heat of the moment you lose your sense of humor, but when time passes you get it back.

Would probably alleviate a lot of stress if we (myself included) could learn to retain that sense of humor and laugh at the experience AT THE TIME it is happening.

Had I sat down in my recliner and realized the absurdity of being so focused on watching a movie and eating pretzels, I probably would have come up with a better solution than I did.

Reader’s Digest is right: “Laughter IS the best medicine.”

BobJam, an interesting yarn, it made me want to go out and buy a bag of pretzels and a bottle of balsamic vinegar … /grin … Seriously, that’s a cool looking bottle up there in that pic for a cool-bottle-collector like me to pass up.

I never tasted balsamic vinegar. It sounds exotic and I do believe Modena is an exotic, ancient, and interesting place.

Says this wiki article:

“The original traditional product (Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale), made from a reduction of cooked white Trebbiano grape juice and not a vinegar in the usual sense, has been made in Modena … since the Middle Ages: the production of the balsamic vinegar is mentioned in a document dated 1046 … [B]Today, the traditional balsamic vinegar is highly valued by chefs and gourmet food lovers.”[/B]
Balsamic vinegar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (emphasis by Jack)

I’ll have to get some balsamic vinegar … I am not yet a “gourmet food lover” but I have serious aspirations to become one :smile:.

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

PS
I would get myself some Pretzels but they might plot against me. The Pretzels know we can’t resist their saltiness and outrageous shapes. I might even end up Pretzelized (I’ve already been Nancy Peeloosy’d … I been Joe Biden’d … I been DHLiberal’d … but I’ve yet to be Pretzel’d , nonetheless betcha the Pretzelization of Jack is just a matter of time, I can feel it coming on in a twisted sort of way … lol … has the American electorate been Pretzel’d? /grin …

:spades:

[QUOTE=Jack Hectormann;bt370]I never tasted balsamic vinegar[/QUOTE]It is distinctive, and taste being an individual thing as it is, I can’t say you’ll like it. I DO.

For uses, see below.

It is pretty much a “condiment” and adds substantial flavor when drizzled on certain foods, not something you would drink straight out of the bottle.

If you want to taste it and see if you like it, I’d recommend only a small drop . . . it’s pretty strong. If you gulp down a whole teaspoon or something like that, I can almost guarantee you won’t like it.

[QUOTE=Jack Hectormann;bt370]I’ll have to get some balsamic vinegar … I am not yet a “gourmet food lover” but I have serious aspirations to become one[/QUOTE]I’m by no means a “gourmet” kinda’ guy either, but different flavors intrigue me.

WalMart carries a cheap generic one (“Great Value”), and for your first try, especially if you end up not liking it, that’s probably the way to go.

The WalMart brand is nothing more then caramelized white vinegar with artificial flavor and food coloring. But the flavor is [B]enough of an approximation to get an idea[/B] if you’ll like it or not. If you don’t, you will not have wasted that much money.

I got the WalMart brand the first time, decided I liked it, and “graduated” to the good stuff.

An Italian brand from Modena is what you want if you like it. The real stuff is pretty high dollar but since it’s so strong you don’t use much of it. A small bottle lasts a long time.

I’m not trying to be snooty or elitist, but there IS a flavor difference between the good stuff and the cheap stuff.

Now as far as recipes, the Internet is full of them.

I have a recipe for a cold spaghetti dish that I really like. Don’t have it handy right now, so I can’t give the quantities, but these are the ingredients:

• Chopped FRESH tomatoes (NOT out of a can), chopped very small.

• sliced Green olives

• Capers

• garlic

• pepper

• sugar

• Oregano

• balsamic vinegar

• Cold pasta

It’s not that often that I make it because it’s pretty tedious chopping the tomatoes and green olives, but it’s DELICIOUS!

I eat a lot of green salads, and use it in the dressing. Balsamic vinegar and olive oil makes a fantastic dressing. That’s another way you might try it. Most of the dressing people (“Newman’s Own”, “Kraft”, “Wishbone”, “Nature’s Valley”, etc.) make a bottled variety.

But be careful of that. Some of the bottled varieties are a little too heavy on the balsamic vinegar flavor. I like mine subtle, so I mix my own. A little goes a long way.

Speaking of subtle, I like salty flavors (which is why I like the green olive/caper cold pasta dressing . . . and I like anchovies too.) For the longest time I drowned my food in table salt (I don’t anymore though and haven’t for about a decade now), consequently I ruined my palate (not to mention my health.)

One time when I was making fried rice, my brother-in-law (who is Chinese, and an excellent Chinese food cook) was watching, and I pored on gobs of oyster sauce and soy sauce. He said, “Why are you using so much of that stuff?” I said, “Because I can’t taste it if I don’t.” He shook his head and said, “It tastes better if you use less,”

So I started to reduce my use of table salt, and even though it took about a year for “normal” taste to come back, he was right. Now I enjoy subtle flavors much more than I ever did when I was heavy with everything.

`
BobJam, You have got me interested and I will definitely get myself a bottle of Balsamic Vinegar and give it a shot. I remain ever on the hunt for interesting new tastes and smells (cologne).

I just added ground up almonds and ground up walnuts to my list of breakfast foods. I buy the almonds and walnuts from Sam’s Club and put them into a blender and grind them up. I keep a 12 ounce jar of ground almonds and a 12 ounce jar of ground walnuts on the kitchen counter and 3 or 4 times per week I will have one ounce each served in small one ounce glass container bowls. I like them unground too, but there is something about grinding them up in a blender that brings out the flavor in ways that just chewing them up whole does not.

I recently added cinnamon to my list of breakfast foods. I keep a small jar of cinnamon on the counter also and a small jar of granulated sugar, and most mornings I put about a one-third of a teaspoon of pure cinnamon on my plate and a pinch of granulated sugar and I eat that along with my 2 slices of “magic bread” which is my nickname for wheat bread with double fiber (5 grams in each slice).

I am fixing to add a small jar of brown sugar to my counter top for a breakfast food, I will just use a pinch or two however, maybe along with the wheat bread.

For breakfast yesterday I had 2 slices of “magic bread”, one tablespoon of peanut butter, one tablespoon of honey, one teaspoon of Blackberry-Raspberry Blackberry Jam ← no typo), one large banana with the *core removed, 11.5 ounces of very cold V-8 Juice with black pepper constantly being sprinkled on top as I sipped, cinnamon and a pinch of sugar, 2 ounces of Welch’s grape juice, 2 ounces of **very strong coffee in a cappuccino cup.

*There is something very good about removing the core of a banana that creates a better banana taste. I discovered this by accident. I love very ripe bananas and sometimes I wait to long to eat them. Not long ago I removed the to-ripe cores and discovered a new taste that I liked, so every morning these days I core my bananas. Also I note that in order to have bananas ready to eat every single morning, one has to be willing to suffer some “banana loss” … bananas ripen fast and loss does occur … that just comes with the territory. I do try to keep the waste down as much as possible though.

**Strong coffee. I make it sometimes by simply putting the fresh coffee grounds (sometimes, say, two level tablespoons to 5 ounces of water … you’ll lose 1 ounce of water in the boiling) straight into a small boiling pot and bringing it to a slow boil. I then strain the coffee through a regular coffee filter. It comes out very strong. Black as a moonless night and strong as Superman. Two ounces in a cappuccino cup makes a cool homemade “Starbucks.” And two ounces is 'bout all I want at one sitting.

My philistine neighbor: How can you drink that stuff?

Jack: Its not stuff, its Jack’s Premium Blend, when you speak of it, speak reverently and with awe … lol.

Thanks for those cool food ideas up there.

Also I am going to go “straight for Modena” and give it a shot. I am pretty sure I will like it.

One more jewel. I have added Blackstrap Molasses to the foods I eat. Have you ever had any Blackstrap Molasses?

The brand I use ↑ is a good source of Potassium, 650 mg. in one Tablespoon as I recall. Very distinctive flavor, nothing tastes like Blackstrap Molasses. I was raised on it. We use to make “bory holes” … lol … as in homemade biscuits with one’s index finger pushed into the warm biscuit to make a “bory hole” which was then filled with Blackstrap Molasses. Very good.

[QUOTE]
[SIZE=3]"Blackstrap molasses, or simply blackstrap, is the dark, viscous molasses remaining after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane. This residual product of sugar refining is used in the manufacture of ethyl alcohol for industry and as an ingredient in cattle feed. The term is an Americanism dating from around 1920. First known use is in a book by detective Allan Pinkerton in 1877.[1]

The third boiling of sugar syrup yields blackstrap molasses. The majority of sucrose from the original crystallizes through this process, though the calorie content of blackstrap molasses is still mostly due to the small remaining sugar content.[2] However, unlike refined sugars, it contains significant amounts of vitamin B6 and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese; one tablespoon provides up to 20% of the recommended daily value of each of those nutrients. Blackstrap is also a good source of potassium.[3] It is sometimes used in baking.

Blackstrap has long been sold as a dietary supplement, being touted as a health food or superfood."

Blackstrap molasses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jack Hectormann;bt373]I keep a small jar of cinnamon on the counter also and a small jar of granulated sugar[/QUOTE]In that regard, McCormick I think it is, makes a spice jar/sprinkler that is called “Cinnamon Sugar”. It is what you do, except it’s already combined. Plus the sugar is fine, so it integrates with the cinnamon better.

I see the virtues of being able to make it with your own proportions, but I’ve found this stuff to already be in the proportions I like.

I don’t do this too often because I don’t like consuming sugar in any frequency, plus I don’t have a “sweet tooth” anyway, and I’m diabetic . . . but doing it once a month as I do doesn’t elevate my blood sugar that much. (My A1C numbers and such have been fine for several years now, and I’m not an insulin injection person, but rather on medication . . . Metformin . . . and the medication controls glucose levels pretty good. Now if I did it every day, that would be bad.)

Anyway, here’s what I do when I get a “sweet tooth” (about once a month, as I said). I make toast (four pieces) with my low carb high fiber bread. I put a few pats of butter on each piece and then put them in the microwave for 20 seconds . . . this melts the butter evenly over the slice.

Then the coup de gras. I sprinkle the McCormick cinnamon/sugar on each piece, stack them, and then cut the stack diagonally in half. That’s it. Makes a tasty breakfast with my V8, that actually is such a contrast, that each bite of the cinnamon/sugar toast is like the “first time”.

[QUOTE=Jack Hectormann;bt373]For breakfast yesterday I had 2 slices of “magic bread”, one tablespoon of peanut butter, one tablespoon of honey, one teaspoon of Blackberry-Raspberry Blackberry Jam ← no typo), one large banana with the *core removed, 11.5 ounces of very cold V-8 Juice with black pepper constantly being sprinkled on top as I sipped, cinnamon and a pinch of sugar, 2 ounces of Welch’s grape juice, 2 ounces of **very strong coffee in a cappuccino cup[/QUOTE]Yikes!!! Not sure that I could eat those quantities [B]every day[/B]. The four pieces of toast that I do really bloats me up and stretches my gut, but I can tolerate it once a month, plus it tastes so good.

Ever since I started to reduce my portion size at all meals (about a decade now), I guess my stomach has shrunk because I really can’t hold too much at one sitting. I’m more of a grazer throughout the day, which is good for a diabetic anyway (small meals throughout the day, rather then three big ones.)

[QUOTE=Jack Hectormann;bt373]*There is something very good about removing the core of a banana that creates a better banana taste[/QUOTE]This “banana coring” thing intrigues me. Just EXACTLY how do you do it?

[QUOTE=Jack Hectormann;bt373]**Strong coffee[/QUOTE]I haven’t had coffee in decades. That’s because I have a prostate problem, and caffeine aggravates it. I suppose I could do decaf, but I’ve long since lost the taste for coffee anyway. If I were to do it, I’d probably do it your way. Sounds like I might like it.

[QUOTE=Jack Hectormann;bt373]One more jewel. I have added Blackstrap Molasses to the foods I eat. Have you ever had any Blackstrap Molasses?[/QUOTE]Yes, I’ve tasted it, though I have to admit it was about 4 decades ago, so the memory is foggy.

It may suffer from “guilt by association” (I’ll explain that in second), but as I recall, I didn’t like it at all.

Now here’s that “guilt by association” deal.

When I was in my thirties, I had a trophy wife. She was very very much eye candy (the kind that would turn heads when she entered a room), thirteen years my junior, but as is often the case, she had absolutely nothing upstairs. And she ran off with a chef (have no idea what ever happened to her), which ended up to be a good thing anyway.

She was an environmental-Nazi, health food freak, and faithfully read and embraced everything in the Mother Earth News magazine.

She also introduced me to Black Strap Molasses. She portrayed it as an environmental-Nazi health food, and I DO think it is a health food, but without the environmental-Nazi connotation, and right away I objected to it, probably BECAUSE she was the one who introduced me to it. Thus the “guilt-by-association” connection. Had it been introduced to me by someone more mentally balanced, I may have given it a fair hearing.

Anyway, enjoy exchanging “taste experiences”. Thanks.

[QUOTE=BobJam;bt374] In that regard, McCormick I think it is, makes a spice jar/sprinkler that is called “Cinnamon Sugar”. It is what you do, except it’s already combined. Plus the sugar is fine, so it integrates with the cinnamon better.

I see the virtues of being able to make it with your own proportions, but I’ve found this stuff to already be in the proportions I like.[/quote]

I seem to recall, some time ago, my wife bringing a McCormick “Cinnamon Sugar” mix home from the grocery store. I note these days we buy Tones herbs and spices from Sam’s Club in large plastic bottles, and that’s where we get our cinnamon. I think we use that same original McCormick “Cinnamon Sugar” container for our home blend. The original label was removed and my wife wrote “Cinnamon and Sugar” on a piece of white tape and stuck it on the plastic shaker.

Sometimes I use a small pile of pure sugar piled up beside my cinnamon pile, and other times I use our blend of cinnamon/sugar in place of the pure sugar, but the important part for me is to keep the pile of cinnamon [U]mostly [/U]separate from the sugar. I love the taste of strong cinnamon mixed [U]slightly[/U] with the sugar, but not mixed so thoroughly that I lose [B]the sharp pleasant bite of the pure cinnamon. [/B]I am talking very small piles of both cinnamon and sugar. I’d guess about one-third of a teaspoon each.

[QUOTE=BobJam;bt374]
I’m not an insulin injection person, but rather on medication . . . Metformin . . . and the medication controls glucose levels pretty good.[/quote]

I’m glad to hear that you don’t have to do the injections. I had a friend that had to do that several times each day, I think it was 5 times. It was a very hard drag on his life to have to plan his day around 5 insulin injections. This went on for years and years. About two years ago he passed over to the other side. He was elderly and “ready to go”, to use his words.

[QUOTE=BobJam;bt374]
Now if I did it every day, that would be bad.[/quote]

I hear ya.

I thank God regularly for the privilege of being able to enjoy [U]some[/U] of everything [U]some[/U] of the time.

[U]Some[/U] is 1000 times better than [U]none.[/U]

I used to use soda and coffee like it was water. You would not believe the amounts I consumed of those two blessings … lol … but now I have learned to use moderation and I now swill down water and a lot of it every day. I read that one’s kidneys loved water above all else. Flush 'em out … flush 'em out …

Now that sounds very good. I’ll have to give that a shot.

Btw, I did make a typo on that Blackberry jam thing. The product is Smucker’s Black Raspberry - Blackberry Jam
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/05/15/00/14/0005150014157_500X500.jpg

It is a combination of Black Raspberry mixed with Blackberry. Its a very good tasting jam with a pleasant sweet yet mildly tart taste. Walmart carries it. I bought a few jars on amazon.com

I am still freezing my empty juice glass for the V8, somehow doing that makes it much better. I wet the glass and then freeze it. I even put the V8 in the Freezer Zone for 12 minutes. I do that with the Welch’s grape juice glass too.

[QUOTE=BobJam;bt374]
Yikes!!! Not sure that I could eat those quantities [B]every day[/B][/quote]

/Grin … Actually the amounts are quite small, I just have a lot of variety in very small amounts.

I have added raisins to my breakfast. Small amount. Maybe one ounce. I put 'em in a small glass bowl that holds maybe two ounces.

I mentioned almonds & walnuts previously. Now comes the cashews. Cashews are really good if you put them into a blender and reduce them to granulated cashews and age them for a few days. I do not know why, but the flavor comes out much more than if you merely chew them up. They’re good that way to be sure, but no where near as good as when they are granulated and aged for a few days.

I had about one ounce of granulated cashews this morning. I put them in the same little glass 2 ounce bowls and I scoop them up on the end of a regular table knife … lol … its the “little things” of enjoyment that makes life so interesting. [B]Plus I daily thank the Sovereign God for providing such variety of foods, tastes, smells, sights, and sounds for we human beings.[/B]

[QUOTE=BobJam;bt374]
This “banana coring” thing intrigues me. Just EXACTLY how do you do it?[/quote]

I take a banana and cut it into three pieces. I then stand each piece up on the plate, and simply run a very sharp knife down the sides of the piece four times leaving the core.

If the banana is very ripe, then I have to hold it in my hand and slice the four sides off, leaving the core.

Sometimes I will lay the piece of banana down and trim off the four sides.

If you cut the banana into four pieces, its actually easier to do. All you want to do is slice the four sides off and leave the core for the trash can.

… lol … All that sounds nutty. I will classify all that as a personal quirk. I got hooked on doing it because I had a bunch of bananas that got to ripe and the cores turned black and I wanted some bananas for breakfast and didn’t want to drive to the store to get fresh bananas, so I cut the very ripe bananas into 3 pieces and trimmed off the “four sides” and discovered that I liked them better that way. So every morning I “trim my banana” …lol …

[QUOTE=BobJam;bt374]
I haven’t had coffee in decades. That’s because I have a prostate problem, and caffeine aggravates it. I suppose I could do decaf, but I’ve long since lost the taste for coffee anyway. If I were to do it, I’d probably do it your way. Sounds like I might like it.[/quote]

Life is short … /big grin … and there is such a thing as a “monthly pleasure” … I would not do anything that would hurt my prostate, but maybe allowing myself (say) a one ounce cappuccino per month at (say) Starbucks or a one or two ounce home brew, would not do any harm.

What I do these days is order a small regular coffee at (say) Starbucks or anywhere else and drink only one-fourth or maybe one-third of it. Doing it this way gives me the full “social” participation thing and the full “psychological thing” … there is something about sipping coffee with friends that is a “social-psychological pleasant experience.”

/Big Grin … That was a funny … I got a smile outta reading that … a “health food freak” running “off with a chef” is a cool twist to be sure …

[QUOTE=BobJam;bt374]
Anyway, enjoy exchanging “taste experiences”. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Me too.

I’m going to get me some Balsamic Vinegar soon and give it a shot.

I’m also going to see what McCormick’s nutmeg and allspice tastes like as soon as I can get to the store.

I think we have to make a deliberate decision to enjoy life. Its a choice we make. I deliberately choose to enjoy as many of God’s gifts to me as I possibly can while I am down here, and also to share them with other people for their enjoyment too, both as to suggesting good tasting foods to them, and also buying and giving them good tasting foods. I light of the many good “things” God has given us, I quote this verse:

Romans 8:31-32
"What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

I use Balsamic vinegar for lots of things. Excellent as a dressing for salads of all kinds; marinate meat (pork tenderloin is delicious marinated in Balsamic vinegar!), pour over vegetables before roasting them; and even in some desserts, although I’ve never tried that yet). Balsamic vinegar has a distinct flavor–they are even making thick BV for different recipes. Modena, imo, is the best brand of BV on the market. It has a very distinct flavor: sweet, somewhat vinegary, and wood-sey. Although I use it a lot, sometimes good, old white vinegar goes on salads and vegetables. BV does not have a biting, take-your-breath-away vinegar flavor. So, I say try it! You’ll probably love it!