Basketball rules

I need a basketball fan for this. A player inbounds the ball. Before he can step back inbounds another player from the other team smokes the ball back at him. Who’s ball is it? This happened at a high school game this weekend and nearly caused a riot. Not saying the ruling yet I want some unbiased opinions first.

[quote=“tperkins, post:1, topic:42151”]
I need a basketball fan for this. A player inbounds the ball. Before he can step back inbounds another player from the other team smokes the ball back at him. Who’s ball is it? This happened at a high school game this weekend and nearly caused a riot. Not saying the ruling yet I want some unbiased opinions first.
[/quote]Any player that touches a ball out of bounds, turns the ball over. Doesn’t matter who touches it in bounds. Once he throws the ball in, he must get in bounds, before he touches the ball, again.
Now, many leagues have “house” or “ground” rules, that may differ.

Tiny, if the player who threw the ball out of bounds at an out of bounds player does the ball go out of bounds before the out of bounds player touches it? remembering the out of bounds player is ineligible while out of bounds?

It took me a while to find a relevant link, but tiny is correct. The ref in the local game called it correctly and barely escaped with his life lol exaggerating a bit but it did get ugly.

rules - Basketball throw-in - deflected inbound pass - Sports Stack Exchange

[quote=“njc17, post:3, topic:42151”]
Tiny, if the player who threw the ball out of bounds at an out of bounds player does the ball go out of bounds before the out of bounds player touches it? remembering the out of bounds player is ineligible while out of bounds?
[/quote]Not sure I understand what you are asking.
Basketball “out of bounds” is not related to the plane of the boundary. If a player is standing out of bounds, and the ball hits him, the ball is whistled dead, and turned over to the other team. Out of bounds in basketball does not make you ineligible. If you are standing on the line, or if you are out of bounds, and the ball touches you before touching anything else, YOU caused it to be out of bounds. The ball turns over.

It’s laid out pretty clear at the link njc

gggeeze sorry.