Beer Thread

:whistle:Tiny bubbles in my beer, make me happy, full of cheer…left left left right left…

One of my favorite Army cadences…

:beerchug: Cool one!

I know jmack makes his own beer sometimes, anyone else have experience making beer?

It’s something I have been meaning to do for a while, but its just so much easier to pick it up cold and brewed at the supermarket:biggrin:

Oatmeal stout?? any one??? Ispwich…a real beer. Get it if you can.

Oatmeal stout?

Sounds like something healthy for breakfast.

I like Guiness Extra stout, when it’s on sale.

[QUOTE=TheOperative]
It’s something I have been meaning to do for a while, but its just so much easier to pick it up cold and brewed at the supermarket:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Sure it’s easier to get it from the store. But there is just something about making it yourself.

You can make alot better beers than you can buy and if anyone ask how much beer you have, you can say gallons vs. bottles/cans.

A standard receipe is 5 gallons.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/jmack242/Beer/TexasBock.jpg

I have still yet to drink this beer in that there bottle. Sitting next to me in a keg right now.:beerchug:

Actually we drank that there beer…that one was the Texas Bock we made.

The one in the keg is an American Pale Ale or an American Creme Ale. :beerchug:

[QUOTE=jmack242]Sure it’s easier to get it from the store. But there is just something about making it yourself.

You can make alot better beers than you can buy and if anyone ask how much beer you have, you can say gallons vs. bottles/cans.

A standard receipe is 5 gallons.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/jmack242/Beer/TexasBock.jpg

I have still yet to drink this beer in that there bottle. Sitting next to me in a keg right now.:beerchug:[/QUOTE]

Beautiful picture. How do I get started doing this sort of thing?

Thats awesome!! Im getting thirsty just looking at it.:biggrin: You can order kits online with intructions. Its not very hard. Click on beginners kits.

www.perfectbrewing.com

At the time, this store was local to me.

http://www.defalcos.com/

It has the best customer service. I’ve been to the homebrew store in Dallas and…well…:no: But I’ll still shop there.

Defalcos does do mail order, but I’m sure you have hombrew stores local in your area.
Now onto the kits.
You must remember the rule of KISS.
Keep It Simple S (I’ll leave out the last part)

If you make it complex, you’ll take the fun out of it.

Generally, you will want a two stage kit such as this one:

http://site.mawebcenters.com/defalcos_1/_images//df00199.gif

This is Defalcos BASIC DOUBLE STAGE KIT

I would lose the plastic bucket and replace it with another glass carboy.
Then use the plastic bucket for bottling only or if you want, go with a keg setup.
:beerchug:

[QUOTE=jmack242]This is Defalcos BASIC DOUBLE STAGE KIT

I would lose the plastic bucket and replace it with another glass carboy.
Then use the plastic bucket for bottling only or if you want, go with a keg setup. :beerchug:[/QUOTE]

I used to home brew. I made several batches from prepared kits–all sucessfully. I was getting ready to make the step toward trying to work from recipes witht he hope of coming up with some of my own. However, it all stopped abruptly when my doctor laid down the law on me. I developed diabetes.:fuming: Beer–even light and nasty ones–sends my glucose levels through the roof.:sad: After a while, I gave all of my gear to a friend.

Your advice about going to another glass carboy in the two stage fermentations process sounds like a reasonable improvement to the process.:beerchug:

Oh that sucks so much!
My Mom developed diabetes herself about a year or so ago. It is a life changing event for sure.
She cheats now and then though.
I don’t know how I would take it myself though.

CL, that is a real shame. Sorry to hear that. Like jmack I don’t know how I would take that, I probably would cheat and have a few beers anyway.

And she sure does cheat! It’s all part of the mindset. She’s over 50, but does not look it.
She can act like a kid at times to.

NOW BACK TO THE BEER!

Anyone?:beerchug:

Haven’t had a sip in 3 weeks, been a little too tired with the baby and all. Looking forward to a nice cold one soon though.

Not a sip in 3 weeks. You poor soul!

Just kidding…

For all beer lovers!!! Years ago I used to work in a liqour store, and thats where I got alot of my education about special brews from. We always were into trying new things, and having it avalible to the public. Micro brews were big when I worked there and we had a good ordering practice. Anywho…I was wondering if anyone in here has ever tried a real german beer??? Not the crap on TV that they claim is german, but a real brew from Munich. At the time these beers sold for about 3 to 5 bucks a bottle…12 oz or so. I suggest the “Salvator Paulener” as a starter. I went in the other day to the store I used to work at and the idiots stoped stocking it.:frown: Its really amazing beer.

Why yes, I have tried “real” German beer.
Don’t like the stuff they sell on TV either.