Bible Trivia

I decided I’d prefer to learn wisdom and stop wasting my time placating and debating fools. I figure they won’t be interested in this topic. What are the seven things which are an abomination to God?

Before we answer your question … would you mind answering mine?

Who are the fools?

Are you referring to the seven deadly sins? Just going off memory, I think they’re:

gluttony
lust
anger
greed
laziness
pride
and something else… I forget.

EDIT: envy. How is that different from lust or greed?

Psalm 14:1 - The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

[quote=“blessed, post:1, topic:39473”]
I decided I’d prefer to learn wisdom and stop wasting my time placating and debating fools. I figure they won’t be interested in this topic. What are the seven things which are an abomination to God?
[/quote]Well, my sister, you have that a bit wrong. THIS is exactly the type of thread they look for, to further torment Christians. Their religion makes it impossible for them to ignore. They MUST proselytize. They MUST convince us of the folly of our beliefs. They MUST show us how stupid we are to believe in God, and how much more intelligent they are, than us. It is their religion.
Now, I just opened a can of worms, myself, because they will lose their collective mind trying to refute my claim that they subscribe to a religion. To them, it is a lack of belief. They cannot fathom that they BELIEVE there is no God. They feel they have no belief in God.
Somehow that makes them comfortable. However, you believe something is TRUE or FALSE. You do not NOT BELIEVE. So, a belief, based on faith(they have faith in science, but cannot prove God exists or doesn’t), agreed upon by many, that proselytizes,(trying to convince us that they are right), is in fact a religion. Worship of a deity is not required to be a religion.
Sorry if I rained on your parade.

In one of Mike’s (FC) stories, a young girl was dealing with lack of belief in God in highly educated adults. One of them - an agnostic, not an atheist - said that true atheists were either naive or foolish, because they declared that God does not exist, which they could not prove. Her puzzled response was, “Well, if you don’t believe in God, and you don’t NOT believe in God, then what do you believe?” His response was “I believe I don’t know” with further elaboration, including the declaration that he was an agnostic.

"Who are the fools?"
Read Proverbs
I am not referring to the seven deadly sins. (Btw, “seven deadly sins” is not from the bible) and these you listed are from the recent movie Seven. They appear as pride, envy, sloth, wrath, gluttony, lechery, avarice since the middle ages throughout much literature including those of Dante and Chaucer. I assume that Hollywood insisted on the change to make it easier for the mindless masses to parrot it.
"envy. How is that different from lust or greed?"
envy is coveting someone else’s possession(s).
“What are the seven things which are an abomination to God?”

I’ll give you a hint: It appears in a verse of Proverbs and begins “There are six things which the Lord doth hate, seven which are an abomination to him”

The Fool

fools despise wisdom and instruction

"How long, o you simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge?"
For the simple are killed for their turning away, and the complacence of fools destroys them
fools get disgrace
O simple ones, learn prudence; O foolish men, pay attention. Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right; wickedness is an abomination to my lips. All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them. They are all straight to him who understands and right to those who find knowledge.
a foolish son is a sorrow to his mother.
a prating fool will come to ruin.
a rod is for the back of him who lacks sense.
the babbling of a fool brings ruin near.
he who utters slander is a fool.
fools die for lack of sense.
It is like sport to a fool to do wrong
the fool will be servant to the wise.
he who hates reproof is stupid.
The way of the fool is righteous in his own eyes
The vexation of a fool is known at once
fools proclaim their folly.

Good sense wins favor, but the way of the faithless is their ruin.

to turn away from evil is an abomination to fools.
the companion of fools will suffer harm.
The talk of a fool is a rod for his back
In the presence of a fool you do not meet words of knowledge.
the folly of fools is deceiving.
The simple believes everything
a fool throws off restraint and is careless.
The simple acquire folly
folly is the garland of fools.
he who has a hasty temper exalts folly
[Wisdom] is not known in the heart of fools.
the mouths of fools pour out folly.
a fool despises his father’s instruction
the mouths of fools feed on folly.
a foolish man despises his mother.
Folly is a joy to him who has no sense.
folly is the chastisement of fools.
Fine speech is not becoming to a fool

Why should a fool have a price in his hand to find wisdom, when he has no mind?
A stupid son is a grief to his father, and the father of a fool has no joy.
the eyes of the fool are on the ends of the earth.
A foolish son is a grief to his father and bitterness to her who bore him.
Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

He who is estranged (separated) seeks pretexts (desire) to break out against all sound judgment.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
A fool’s lips bring strife, and his mouth invites a flogging.
A fool’s mouth is his ruin, and his lips are a snare to himself.
If one gives answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame.
When a man’s folly bring his way to ruin, his heart rages against the Lord.
It is not fitting for a fool to live in luxury, much less for a slave to rule over princes.
A foolish son is a ruin to his father
Strike a scoffer and the simple will learn prudence
Condemnation is ready for scoffers, and and flogging for the backs of fools.
Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler; and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.
every fool will be quarreling.
a foolish man devours [precious treasure].
Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.
Wisdom is too high for a fool; in the gate he does not open his mouth.
Like snow in summer or rain in harvest, so honor is not fitting for a fool.

Proverbs 1-26

I’m sure the passage from Proverbs to which blessed referred is familiar to many here. From Proverbs 6:16-19:

… haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Without minimizing individual sinful acts, this refers to persons who habitually do these things. These things have gone from being individual sinful acts to being part of such persons’ character. So:

1.) Pridefulness, elitism, disdain for others;

2.) Habitual lying;

3.) Habitually violent;

4.) One who enjoys planning and carrying out violence, theft, and various frauds;

5.) One who eagerly participates in others’ plans of violence, theft, and various frauds;

6.) False accusers;

7.) Devising ind instigating conflict between people who are of the same family or who are friends.

Proverbs - like others in the Bible - is a very practical book. This passage speaks of how God views people of such habits and character. But who here wants people of such habits and character: at the desk or workbench next to them; as a supervisor or manager; as a business partner; in the pew/chair next to them in church; as a pastor of a church; as a neighbor; as a close relative one must encounter or work with in family matters? And flipping the mirror, what kind of person are you?

Read this one last evening, also in Proverbs: How can a foolish person be perceived as intelligent and wise?

They should close their mouth.

Good answer Pete!
Give an example of something the Lord has deemed good.

(Proverbs 18:22) Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.

Proverbs 17:28:

Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

It would be interesting to know how to what degree that refers to silence giving a mistaken impression of wisdom and to what degree it is ironic.

Verse 27 praises a person who uses restraint in what they say and a person who remains calm (evidently within moments of stress or conflict).

Proverbs 18:17 is something of which I continually remind myself:

The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

The first person to present a case may be right, but they may also be mistaken or less than honest. Checking claims out and hearing other accounts/perspectives is wise.

“ye shall not boil a kid in…”

His mother’s milk.

Good Susanna! Your turn to post a question.

Who is Zaphnath-paaneah, and why was he called that?

Pharaoh gave this name to Joseph when he made him ruler over Egypt.

What does it mean (that’s why he gave it to him)?