Bill Maher Apologizes for Racial Slur on HBO ‘Real Time’

There is a lot here to ponder on: While I think Maher is a total loser, it seems we are forgetting the context. If you can lose your job over the use of 1 word, not sure we have free speech.

To make this worse, just listen to blacks and rap singers, the word is a natural part of their speech. They use it on TV, in their music and in their daily conversations. Yet I cannot …do they not have rights and privileges I do not??? Does this not contribute to increased divisions in “we the people”. When the federal govt gives BY LAW and FEDERAL STATUTE “Protected Class” of citizenry have we not opened up a chasm of separation of the races and giving on superior rights over the other? I am still looking for my white privilege…

Bill Maher Apologizes for Use of Racial Slur on ‘Real Time’

"Shortly after 10 p.m. on Friday, Mr. Maher, the comedian and host of HBO’s “Real Time,” was talking to Mr. Sasse on his program about the boundaries between adolescence and maturity, and how adults in California still dress up for Halloween.When Mr. Sasse said this did not happen in his state, Mr. Maher said, “I’ve got to get to Nebraska more.”
Mr. Sasse replied: “You’re welcome. We’d love to have you work in the fields with us.”
Mr. Maher said: “Work in the fields? Senator, I’m a house nigger. No, it’s a joke.”

Last month, Stephen Colbert, the host of “The Late Show” on CBS, was criticized for a crude monologue joke he made that implied a sexual relationship between President Trump and President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia.
And this week, CNN ended its association with Kathy Griffin, the comedian and co-host of its annual New Year’s Eve program, after she appeared in a photograph holding what looked like Mr. Trump’s bloody, decapitated head. (Ms. Griffin has since apologized. Her lawyers say she is being investigated by the Secret Service.)
Mr. Maher was swiftly condemned for his remark, in posts and comments that reverberated on social media in the minutes and hours after the interview.
DeRay Mckesson, a prominent activist for the Black Lives Matter movement, wrote on his Twitter account: “But really, @BillMaher has got to go. There are no explanations that make this acceptable.”

Jack Posobiec, an alt-right activist and commentator, wrote on Twitter, “Racist Bill Maher must be fired and @BenSasse must be held accountable for his endorsement of the n-word.”

Ben Sasse: “The history of the n-word is an attack on universal human dignity. It’s therefore an attack on the American Creed. Don’t use it.”