Bill Maher on California Income Taxes: 'Liberals - You Could Actually Lose Me'

Pointing at Virginia’s former Republican Congressman Tom Davis, Maher said, “You know what? Rich people - I’m sure you’d agree with this - actually do pay the freight in this country.”
“I just saw these statistics,” he continued, “I mean, something like 70 percent. And here in California, I just want to say liberals - you could actually lose me. It’s outrageous what we’re paying - over 50 percent. I’m willing to pay my share, but yeah, it’s ridiculous.”

Read more: Bill Maher on California Income Taxes: ‘Liberals - You Could Actually Lose Me’ | NewsBusters

Looks like an example of another liberal who has come to the realization that they too are going to be effected by higher taxes and wants out. Look we have already seen liberals flee states that have upped their taxes and calls for fleeing the country as well. This is the old story, lets do it to others but exempt us.

Adding a bit of context to what sam quoted, Maher was responding to Rachel Maddow, not the R former Congress Critter:

“Well,” Maher unsuccessfully tried to interrupt as Maddow continued. When she was finally done, he surprisingly pushed back.

Pointing at Virginia’s former Republican Congressman Tom Davis, Maher said, “You know what? Rich people - I’m sure you’d agree with this - actually do pay the freight in this country.”

“I just saw these statistics,” he continued, “I mean, something like 70 percent. And here in California, I just want to say liberals - you could actually lose me. It’s outrageous what we’re paying - over 50 percent. I’m willing to pay my share, but yeah, it’s ridiculous.”

The article also provides this background information for Maher’s remark:

Consider that in California, millionaires on top of the 39.6 percent they’ll pay to the federal government in 2013, there’s an additional 14.63 percent that now goes to the state.

Add in payroll taxes, local taxes, and property taxes, and I’ve seen estimates that the total tax bite could exceed 60 percent here.

I don’t see this as Maher doing unto others and then fleeing as Maher having ignorantly bought the tax-and-spends’ “fair share” narrative and then learning from his CPA - it’s “Tax Season”, remember? - how much he (Maher) actually is paying. IOW, Maher got mugged; I think it’ll take quite a few more such muggings for Maher to learn any lasting lessons, but going off the Progressive Reservation like this might lead to another, “How dare you say that?!” mugging.

I’m not sure I could remain a conservative with Maher joining up… [dripping sarcasm]

I don’t think you have to worry, but it is an interesting image, Bill Maher throwing in with Randian Objectivists … or becoming a Christian believer, holy sheep ! That latter might be like Saul of Tarsus meeting with the Apostles in Jerusalem for the first time!