Billionaire Bill Gates blasts capitalism

Billionaire Bill Gates criticized capitalism saying that it causes fundraising efforts to go to trivial issues that bother rich people a opposed to global health epidemics that are devastating the poor.

The Microsoft founder was speaking at a conference about his latest philanthropic push to end malaria, saying that it gets slighted in terms of funding because the ones with the checkbooks are typically men in wealthy countries.

Read more: Billionaire Bill Gates blasts capitalism saying that it’s the reason why research for ‘male baldness gets more funding than malaria’ | Mail Online

I can not speak for others but my impression is there are so many organizations wanting funding while claiming that there is not enough funding for their cause. Some of these I believe are opportunistic more than really in it to help.

I am reminded of an ad I listened to yesterday saying we need more research on cancer but do we?

Well of course we do, it’s not effectively cured yet and the existing treatments are dangerous.

The same Bill Gates who paid to have a grown tree moved SIX INCHES is female-canining about capitalism and the stingy wealthy?

What he says is completely valid. The headline is pretty sensationalist (as the Daily Mail tends to be), he’s not really “blasting capitalism”, at least in any of the quotes the article gives.

‘The malaria vaccine in humanist terms is the biggest need. But it gets virtually no funding. But if you are working on male baldness or other things you get an order of magnitude more research funding because of the voice in the marketplace than something like malaria,’ he said.

He said that the way to fix the disparity is to address this ‘flaw in the pure capitalistic approach.’

He’s just saying that pure capitalism allocates resources according to profitability and sometimes charity isn’t enough to make up for that.

[quote=“Volk, post:2, topic:38767”]
Well of course we do, it’s not effectively cured yet and the existing treatments are dangerous.
[/quote]Why?