Some of the republicans are just as guilty as the democrats, they are plenty bipartisan.
There are certainly enough of them to run the country into the ground.
There are several realities that anyone balancing the budget will need to accept:
- Raising taxes will not improve revenues. Regardless of tax rates, revenue has been the same since the 50’s (Taxes need to be adjusted down until revenues quit rising, which would be near the top of the Laffer curve. The reason I know they need to be adjusted down is because the Bush tax cuts increased revenues)
- The supposedly “non-discretionary” parts of the budget need to be gutted, as they are what is producing a deficit.
- Government workers need to be banned from bargaining their pay: the tax payers are their employers, their bargaining hurts everyone
- Social(ist) Security and Medicare will have to be drastically scaled back and ultimately removed
- The standing army and veterans benefits will need to be cut, military research should be continued at even greater levels to keep our armed forces competitive.
If these policies were put in place this year, we would have a $1 trillion surplus and could pay the debt off in a decade or two, which would give us another $400 billion a year from not paying interest.
Then, taxes could be dramatically reduced, even below the top of the Laffer curve.