"Blue Screen"

“Blue Screen” – comes up only (and not consistently) immediately after (or perhaps during) Shutdown:

A problem has been detected and Window has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remover any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000000A (0X0000000C, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X804EF2BF)

No hardware or software has been recently installed.
I have always been able to boot up with no problem after this happens. However, I am backing up my documents more frequently!

That means a critical element that Windows needed to complete a task (in this case the shutdown command) was lost in the Random Access Memory (RAM) so Windows could not continue the task.

Often times a hardware driver or failing hardware component will cause this when it occurs on shutdown, if you can start the computer in safe mode and shut it down normally then it can be narrowed down a bit.

If Windows updated any software or drivers recently then I would bet that is the culprit, I usually start by manually shutting down all the running tasks before I shut down the computer one at a time to see if I can find the one that is causing the Memory corruption.

A bad stick of memory could do this as well, a loose CPU also. I always boot the machine to a pre-installed Linux disc to quickly eliminate these from the stuff to look at, if Linux can load and shutdown without issues then the hardware is working fine.

OOOHHHH my friends; Blue screens are not my real problem. As you kids know i ama relative amature at computers, I am getting the hang of some things, and i tend to take on more than I can do. I took on the project of “Publishing ’ an update to my highschool yearbook [from 1959] so I found a Broderbund publishing program [version 15] My kids got me in 1997. Would you believe it downloaded, and works fine, but there are glitches. I was told to download 'Open Office” which has a publishing program with it, and HOLY SMOKE! a lot of invasive CRAP came in with it. Had to do some memory cleaning with it and I still have some residue left behind. Things still are not right with it.I just tried to download a free ‘Adaware’ and more invasive garbage came with it and Adaware did not. So I have had to do more cleaning. What is it with these downloads and how can one spot the troubled ones?

The problem is that all software is designed for the computer hardware that has been built recently, if your system resources are not pretty current then downloading the latest version of something (like OpenOffice) will be an overwhelming drain on your system.

I still have many older machines running but I search for older versions of software to load on them (that were designed for the machines era) and I always make sure after I install anything that I go through and turn off everything that automatically “runs at boot”, even on my newer machines. That takes care of most of the “invasive” issues you are talking about.

OpenOffice is a Java based Office suite, it is very good but power hungry. LibreOffice is the new group that took over the OpenOffice open source project and they made some good strides in reducing the footprint but it is still Java based.

“Free” software means that advertisers are paying for the software instead of you, this is accomplished by “mining” your information and selling it to advertisers. This occurs by you installing whatever you have found and are interested in (like Adaware) and the data mining (Spyware for slang) is installed with it. Do this enough times and your internet connection becomes overwhelmed by these pieces of software that are continually communicating back and forth with their home servers that collect the data to sell to advertisers. Your RAM also becomes full with all these programs that “load at boot” so the entire computer becomes sluggish even when you are not using the Internet.

A whole lot of this can be averted by never choosing the “automatic, recommended” option when installing software and instead choosing “manual”, most toolbars and some data mining software can be de-selected this way but you never see the option if you just keep clicking “Yes”, “I Agree” and “Continue”.

I use some “Free” software but know where to look to shut down all the junk I don’t want and how to prevent my Internet connection from becoming an advertising portal, some “paid for” software also have these “Spyware” features but almost ALL Free software has it.

There is no “Free Lunch” to use an old axiom.

You can often google the name of the software you are interested in with the word “review” and find out what people are saying about it, you can sift through what you find and look for the reviews that sound like the author has some idea how all this works and ignore the ones that obviously are written by people who are pretty clueless.

This can help alot in determining whether a particular “Free” piece of software is something that you will get some use out of or just junk up your machine.

Microsoft did just do an automatic update today. Dunno about the other times. In fact, it was when it was doing the restart after the update that I got the screen. Perhaps there have been some unnoticed updates that didn’t require a restart the other times. Would it perhaps be advisable to shut off microsoft updates? Or would that cause another problem?

I usually leave automatic updates off and manually run updates every couple of months just so I don’t get caught by bugs like this, Microsoft will fix it if their update caused the issue then roll out the patch but it might take awhile. If the machine is running fine and your anti virus is not finding any issues I would just let it go for awhile and see if the next update corrects the problem.

If you manually run Microsoft Update you can see a list of recent updates that were installed, if there were any driver updates recently then that was most likely the culprit. You can roll back to the previous driver for that device in the device manager pretty easy, I usually do not allow hardware drivers to update if I am not having issues anyway as it is just asking for problems.

Thanks! I will have to see if I can remember (or figure out, because it’s probably changed since the last time I did it) how to check that out. It has been some time ago; the file I created to copy that message (which I posted here) was created December 7, so it has been several months since it started, sometime in November, I’m pretty sure.

Update - the blue screen no longer returned after I loaded a new version of Kaspersky. I had a different blue screen come up later that required putting the computer in the shop (my boot sector had a problem, but, fortunately, easily repairable by the tech), and I showed him the original blue screen. He said the number displayed indicated a software issue - and I remembered then, that when I loaded my new version of Kaspersky, it made me get rid of Spybot - so there must have been something flaky with spybot. Anyway, if you ever have the problem, there was the solution. Incidentally, that never happened except when I executed shutdown, so it never really interfered with my computer usage, and it was also sporadic.

RET, you sound like me and my machine. But that bit about using Linux to troubleshoot between software and hardware, I never thunk of that. Thanks for suggesting it. Is there a free version of Linux? (I guess I can look around and see.) What about drivers? Are they necessary when you launch Linux this way?

My current desktop had a DOA memory stick when I built it, but it was actually a pain to narrow it down. I was pretty sure I had a hardware issue at the start of it, but I wasn’t certain. That was one of the most annoying problems I ever had to deal with.

There are several good PE (pre installed environments) Linux distro’s out there for free, most will fit on a single cd or dvd and are downloadable in ISO format so the burned disc is bootable. If your machine is set so the optical drive is first in the boot order a simple restart will boot to the Linux disc and load a fully functioning OS without changing anything on your computers hard drive, it runs a little slow like this do to the reduced bus speed of cd/dvd drives but it works great for troubleshooting or retrieving important files from a hard drive that will not boot anymore due to a virus/malware issue.

PcLinuxOS is one of my favorites, choose the image that matches your machine (32 or 64 bit);
Get PCLinuxOS » PCLinuxOS

Ubuntu is the most popular free one but it is a bit more “nanny” than I like (too much security) it does run very well though;
Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

LinuxMint is pretty good as well (not sure if this is still the "Live CD version though), choose the KDE desktop until you get more familiar with Linux;
Download - Linux Mint

There are literally dozens of free Linux distro’s out there, some are customized to be fully functioning web or file servers right after install just like the desktop pc versions are set up to be fully functioning desktops after they boot/install. Some require more knowledge than others, the ones I listed here are stable and should contain sufficient driver support for most hardware.

There are some very “lean” versions out there that really fly due to their tiny footprint but they have very little GUI support so all configuration is done via command line, for those who don’t want to learn a new computer language the packaged distro’s are a much easier way to get going without a steep learning curve.

KDE is the most “Windows like” desktop so I always advise people to choose that first, then try some of the leaner desktop options if you want less “eye candy” like older computers do better with.

Linux command line is pretty much the same as unix? I know (or at least, used to know) how to use unix, although I really didn’t use the command line that much.

Similar to Unix but Linux has evolved a great deal since its Unix roots.

Thank you, sir!