Boehner Floats Debt-Limit Fight Read

*Congressional Republicans itching for a fight over increasing the debt limit might get their wish, outgoing House speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) suggested on Tuesday.

Boehner acknowledged the difficulty of getting the 218 votes needed to pass a bill that would increase the debt limit without including conservative fiscal reforms. “I don’t like the idea of doing a clean debt-ceiling [increase],” he said on Fox News Tuesday evening. “We’re going to talk to our members and we’ll find a way forward here in the next couple of days.”

Senator Rand Paul (R., Ky.), who is coordinating with HFC members, admitted readily that he hopes to establish a maximalist negotiating position designed to influence the debt-limit talks.

**“I think it’s important that we use this leverage,” Paul told reporters during a Monday press call. His proposal: the Cut, Cap, and Balance Act of 2015, which would cut federal spending by $207 billion this year, cap future spending at 18 percent of gross domestic product, and require Congress to pass a balanced-budget amendment and send it to the states for ratification. He is also pushing the Default Prevention Act, a bill designed to remove the possibility of a default in the event of future debt-limit standoffs by mandating that the Treasury Department use incoming tax revenue to pay debts and other high-profile bills.
**“In 2011, we passed this bill, or a similar bill, in the House and then it stalled in the Senate. But there was, I think, an in-between that came about because of this battle,” Paul said. “That in-between is called the sequester . . . the only good thing that had probably happened in years up here.”

Read more at: John Boehner: Debt Limit Fight Is Possible | National Review Online*

Isn’t this the bill that will gut Obamacare?

The GOP will attach conditions to the debt limit increase which will cause the bill to be vetoed by Obama. There will be some back and forth trying to get some Democrats on board enough to override but that’s not possible. In the end Obama will win because the public does not like government “shutdowns” and will blame the GOP if “shutdown” occurs. There might be some good come out of it anyway at least to get minds focused back on the problem of government debt.

Aren’t there some kinds of bills regarding money that the President doesn’t get to vote on? I’m totally in the dark when it comes to all the different things that congress can and can’t do. Seems very confusing.

The public is afraid of government “shutdowns” because they do not truly know what they amount tol