Boehner Tells Members They Have to Fly Commercial

House Speaker John A. Boehner announced on Wednesday that members will no longer be allowed to travel by military aircraft on Congressional delegation trips.
The Ohio Republican told members that because of the spending cuts mandated by sequestration, he will cut the costs of the taxpayer funded trips by suspending the standard military aircraft and making members fly commercial.
The airfare costs would still be picked up by government funds, but it is far less expensive to fly commercial than it is to commission a military plane.

CODEL Cutbacks: Boehner Tells Members They Have to Fly Commercial : Roll Call News

What is interesting about this ties into what members of congress get versus what others have to deal with when it comes to expenses and cutting back.

We already know congress has been exempted from the pay cuts for the up coming sequester. Congress has a history of exempting themselves from laws they pass onto others. The public is told they have to abide by rules and laws passed down by congress. If congress had to reign in their excesses, they too would feel the effects of what they pass on to the general public.

First class of course.

In my mind I pictured some 80-90 year old Congressman flying F-16’s, lol.

Why is this not the way it’s always done.

There are parts of the world where an ordinary person could take up to a week to get there. But they aren’t the kind of places most Congress Critters would go. Congress Critters should rub shoulders with ordinary productive Americans, even in airline first class sections. And have to travel by car from hub airports to their districts … maybe stop at a not-exclusive restaurant for lunch or dinner. You know, see what productive people look like, what they have on their minds.

And have to go through TSA…

If a Congressman sat next to me on the plane, let’s just say I wouldn’t be exactly pleasant…