Book Review - Agent of Change

Book Title: Agent of Change (Laiden Universe)
Authors: Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Genre: Science Fiction Adventure
Publisher: Baen Books; 1 edition (February 14, 2007)
Available on Kindle: yes
Preview: yes
Pages: 324
Amazon Link: **Book Here **

This is the first book written within the Laiden Universe Series but book nine within the series internal chronology.
As of this date this e-book is free on Amazon.

Val Con is an agent of Liad, what that means is uncertain; assassin, spy or perhaps something else. Miri Robertson a former human mercenary who can handle herself in a fight, yet finds herself no match for Val Con. There is danger behind every corner as they join forces to escape pursuers.

Most any Scifi fan will enjoy this great adventure novel. It’s an easy read, it’s a fun read with great characters and interesting plotline.

There’s a John Ringo series that every library I’ve visited (even book stores) put into the wrong category–science fiction. He (the author) refers to it as the “Paladin of Shadows” series and is about an ex-Navy SEAL named Mike. The series begins when he’s attending the University of Georgia and sees a coed kidnapped. On the spur of the moment, he follows them and winds up in Syria (Aleppo, as it happens) protecting 49 such women (one is killed before he knows what’s going on) from being tortured, raped and murdered on live TV to horrify the US and drive them from the middle east, finds that the facility is a WMD facility and turns their mustard gas and VX on them, killing Osama bin Laden and Bashir Assad, the President of Syria, then holds off a battalion of Syrian troops single-handedly (with some help from a couple of the girls) until some from his old SEAL unit parachute in and relieve him until the 101st Airborne gets there to take them all out of the country. It’s all basically fantasy, of course, but a very entertaining read. It contains quite a bit of S&M descriptions and even incipient pedophilia, but, if you can overlook those few passages, it’s an exciting read. My point is that it’s NOT “science fiction” and the book is invariably found in the “sci-fi” section of a library or book store. There are 5 more books in the series and I suspect that Ringo has received heavy criticism for the “pedophilia” parts of them and has abandoned the series for nonsense about “zombies” instead. Other books in the series are “Kildar”, “Choosers of the Slain,” “Unto the Breach,” “A Deeper Blue” and “Tiger By the Tail” and probably should be read in that sequence to fully appreciate the narrative. “Ghost” is actually a trilogy in a single book and most of ALL the series (except “A Deeper Blue”) takes place outside of the U.S.–but with US help and cooperation…supposedly with the aid of a President bearing a strong resemblance to G.W. Bush.

I’ve got the series along with a few others of his. His stuff usually has a good bit of action but he can often skirt the edge of believability. Of course when you’re doing near future scenarios authors often do.

[quote=“Superpsycho, post:3, topic:46317”]
I’ve got the series along with a few others of his. His stuff usually has a good bit of action but he can often skirt the edge of believability. Of course when you’re doing near future scenarios authors often do.
[/quote] I have the series in hardback and have read the entire series several times…not because I’m a fan of S&M, or especially pedophilia, but because the action sequences are, in general, exciting reads. I’ve gotten something new each time I’ve read them, too.

Know what you mean. There are few books and series I’ll reread periodically. Weber’s Honor series, Steve Perry’s Matador series, Elizabeth Moon’s Serrano series, books like Dickson’s Wolfing and Lester Del Rey’s Rocket Jockey. There are a lot that are well worth reading again every so often. My problem is, I have more books than time. Plus in my retirement I’ve been doing content editing for a few writer’s, some published, some trying to get there. Keeps me busy these days, though I still manage to get a book read once in a while.

I read daily. Otherwise, I’d rarely sleep. Since I was 3 years old I’ve HAD to read SOMETHING before going to sleep or I wouldn’t GET to sleep. This was particularly troublesome during my tours in Vietnam, by the way. I’m certain it has something to do with “programming” but it’s a fact nonetheless. I’m currently re-reading Weber’s and Flint’s collaborative “Torch of Freedom.” I have hundreds, if not thousands, of hard-back science fiction novels and anthologies. I WILL read paperbacks (they are what I started reading when Dad turned me onto science fiction), but I prefer hard-cover books with SUBSTANCE! The last movers to relocate us in 1988 complained that I had “a ton” of books…some of which are STILL packed and in the attic. I don’t even own a Kindle or similar device–though I got my wife one a couple of years ago.

Everything is E-book for me these days, holding a book is no longer comfortable. And it gives me tens of thousands of books at my finger tips. I sleep whenever I’m tired enough to ignore all the things keeping me awake. Once a week they’ll dose me up with enough pain killers I’ll sleep through the night, otherwise it’s a couple hours at a time. But I can read the average sized book in one evening whenever I have the time.

I used to have a full wall of books but they’re all packed away and the wall is now all DVD’s.