Boston Marathon Bombers: Ongoing Investigation

Contrary to my normal habit, I’m not using an article title as the Subject of this thread. I’d like it to be the unified place for coverage of the various pieces of this puzzle as they become known. The Breitbart article posted below is getting updated with some frequency, so it is work visiting every day or two, if the progress of this investigation is of interest.

LIVE UPDATES: Russians Warned FBI About Bombing Suspect 6 Months Ago?
by Breitbart News
21 Apr 2013

With the second of the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects in custody, Breitbart News will bring you constant updates about the latest in the case.

The title of this article has to do with the Russian-FBI angle of this. As will be seen in my net post, there are some big, significant, open questions in that area. But I didn’t use this article title as the Subject of the thread, as there are likely going to be a lot of facts emerging on many different angles of this investigation.

What Did the Russians Know and When Did They Know It?
by Rick Moran

2013/04/21

The mystery surrounding the Tsarnaev brothers’ ties to Russia is deepening, even as President Obama called Prime Minister Putin to offer thanks for their “close cooperation” in catching the suspects.

We know that Tamerlan Tsarnaev went to Dagestan, Russia — a region bordering Chechnya and a hot bed of extremism — for six months in 2012. We also know that prior to that trip, the Russians requested the FBI look into Tamerlan’s background to see if there were any ties to terrorists. The FBI investigated but found nothing.

What happened when Tamerlan returned from his Russian trip? The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Mike Rogers, said on Meet the Press that there were limits to Russia’s “cooperation” in vetting the elder Tsarnaev:

The New York Times reports that the Russians “had something on him and were concerned about him, and him traveling to their region.”

What did the Russians “have on him”? How much info did they share? Evidently not enough to keep the FBI interested in him:

njc17 posted last week to the effect that the US government screwed up; my response was that that was possible, but that I’d like to see evidence of that before affirming that conclusion. Well, this is at least one area of this investigation that might reveal such evidence.

Lots of open questions! Probably the key question would be, “Why were the Russians interested in Tsarnaev?” If the concern was barely moderate, and the FBI didn’t find anything to stimulate greater interest, that could explain the Russians’ apparent subsequent silence and the FBI not following up. OTOH, it is possible that what the FBI learned served the Russians’ purposes to follow up on their end, they didn’t care to keep the US government informed, the US government was less than excited about investigating possible Muslim terrorists, and the FBI let Tsarnaev slide. And there’s a fair amount of possibility-territory between those two fairly realistic possible scenarios. Several Congress members - some Ds among them, at this point - are telling the FBI they have some ‘splainin’ to do; it’ll be interesting (and potentially suggestive!) to see if the Obama Administration goes into Stonewall Mode on this.

Edit: PJMedia is, of course, a Conservative New Media site, but per this previous PJMedia article, the initial source of the Russia-FBI story is CBS News. So the story can’t be written off as purely right-wing-conspiracy-theory-ism.

Glad you started this Pete…this is one area…the possible coverup…of an FBI/Gov’t failure in 2012 …that deserves a LOT of scrutiny. This from NBC news in Boston: Charges likely Sunday for Boston Marathon bombing suspect - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Updated: Apr 21, 2013 11:47 AM EDT

BOSTON (NBC) – Federal prosecutors were putting the finishing touches on charges against the surviving marathon bombing suspect on Sunday — as NBC News learned that** Russian intelligence agencies contacted the FBI last year about his older brother**.

A police official source in Makhachkala, Dagestan, told NBC News on Sunday that the Russian internal security service reached out to the FBI last November with some questions about Tamerlan, and** handed over a copy of case file on him.
Tsarnaev had first popped up on the local police radar in Dagestan last summer, the source said. During routine surveillance of an individual known to be involved in the** militant Islamic underground movement, the police witnessed Tamerlan meet the latter at a Salafi mosque in Makhachkala, the police official said.
It was one of six times in total that surveillance officials witnessed Tsarnaev meeting this militant at the same mosque, according to the police official.

The militant contact later disappeared, the police official said, but so did Tsarnaev before investigators had a chance to speak with him. The FBI never responded, according to the Dagestani police official."

I’ll continue to post on this thread with anything else I find…hope others will do the same.