Bought a few things lately

My wife and I bought a new dishwasher the other day. Our old one pretty much just spread the crap around and didn’t clean at all. We also just bought a water softener last evening. Between the two of these, things ought to be a LOT nicer. Clean dishes and soft water. :banana:

The dishwasher is an LG (not sure what brand right now). Cost about $800.00 and the softener is a Culligan Gold series softener: CULLIGAN - gold series water softener system

Please post how quiet the dishwasher is. When my wife and I bought our house in 04, the dishwasher we had installed was supposed to be “quiet”. It’s anything but. I think it’s time to upgrade our appliances and I definitely wasnt a quieter dishwasher.

On a side note, we bought a GE Adora frontload washer and dryer a year ago. The dryer is good but the washer is a piece of junk. It goes off balance all the time even hough it is supposed to be high capacity. I’m going back to a top load washer when I get the chance.

I’m surprised that appliances aren’t socialized in Canada.

Everything from liquor stores to auto insurance was socialized when I was there.

[quote=“Blackwell, post:2, topic:25579”]
Please post how quiet the dishwasher is. When my wife and I bought our house in 04, the dishwasher we had installed was supposed to be “quiet”. It’s anything but. I think it’s time to upgrade our appliances and I definitely wasnt a quieter dishwasher.

On a side note, we bought a GE Adora frontload washer and dryer a year ago. The dryer is good but the washer is a piece of junk. It goes off balance all the time even though it is supposed to be high capacity. I’m going back to a top load washer when I get the chance.
[/quote]I have a dish washer and it is pretty quiet. If you are in the kichen you can hear it but go to another room you are not regaled with noise from it. On the other hand I bought a dehumidifier to replace an older one that had been recalled but worked great with a model that was supposed to be quiet. I could hear that thing all over the house and it went belly up just short of a year.

Heck no. However, the way things are going, the US will be more socialized then Canada is.

The sales person said that it is pretty quiet, but I’ll let y’all know. I’m picking it up & installing it this Friday.

I never saw the attraction to a front load washer. How is one supposed to spot wash the stains?

Our home came with a dishwasher. I had it taken out in preferance to more cabinet space. The only time I miss one is on holidays. Otherwise, with just 2 of us, it would take a week to fill a dishwasher, so it would not be economical any way you shake it in our situation.

Oh, don’t you just love “new and improved”?

They claim that the front load washers work better because they run the water through the clothes instead of “swishing them around” in the water. Well, guess what? “Swishing them around” in the water causes the water to go through them with greater force than “dribbling” it through them as the front loaders do. But it is getting more & more difficult (and expensive) to get top loaders, thanks to the greenies. I’m about due for a new one.

[quote=“WorkingOnIt, post:6, topic:25579”]
I never saw the attraction to a front load washer. How is one supposed to spot wash the stains?

Our home came with a dishwasher. I had it taken out in preferance to more cabinet space. The only time I miss one is on holidays. Otherwise, with just 2 of us, it would take a week to fill a dishwasher, so it would not be economical any way you shake it in our situation.
[/quote]I use mine but a lot of the time I just hand wash the dishes

Heck no. However, the way things are going, the US will be more socialized then Canada is.

That will probably be true this year, depending on how you look at it.

I was in Manitoba and they are definitely communists, though.

I only do stuff that won’t go in the dishwasher (like cast iron cookware) by hand - with an occasional exception. And there are only 2 of us in this house.

[quote=“WorkingOnIt, post:7, topic:25579”]
Oh, don’t you just love “new and improved”?
[/quote]Yes that is a hoot. Tell you the truth I wish I had the old dehumidifier back because it worked for years while I have had two new ones go belly up in less than a year. The new ones were supposed to be more quiet and they had humidity gages on them so they would cycle on and off. I bought units that were supposed to handle the square footage with ease but seem to struggle to do so.

This reminds me of our coffee maker. We got a Cuisinart coffee maker that held the coffee in the top and kept it hot. It broke right after the warranty was up (limited 1 year). It was a newer moder that they still have on the shelves in Wal-Mart, Kohl’s, etc. I wrotethem a complaint letter and never heard back. So much for customer service and “new and improved”. We now use the 12 year old Mr. Coffee we got as a wdding gift. It’s older and works fine.

[quote=“Blackwell, post:13, topic:25579”]
This reminds me of our coffee maker. We got a Cuisinart coffee maker that held the coffee in the top and kept it hot. It broke right after the warranty was up (limited 1 year). It was a newer moder that they still have on the shelves in Wal-Mart, Kohl’s, etc. I wrotethem a complaint letter and never heard back. So much for customer service and “new and improved”. We now use the 12 year old Mr. Coffee we got as a wedding gift. It’s older and works fine.
[/quote]I remember years ago a soap for the laundry that I believe was called salvo which was heralded as new and improved and it was the left over residue from other soaps from the tank which they scraped and made into a pill.

Hmm, I used to use that. I think it went the way of the dinosaur when people started using cold water on so many things. It wouldn’t dissolve in cold water.

Our power company is recommending using cold water for everything. They claim that modern laundry products will get anything clean in cold water.

Wonder if they never saw the undissolved detergent residue? Most automatic washers are set up so that you never see the water that is drained. Mine goes into a tub, through one of those lint filters, and then through a screen in the drain. On the rare occasions that I have used cold water, I’ve seen undissolved soap granules (even after the rinse) caught in that screen.

We use liquid laundry detergent, so there is no residue. It will be interesting to see how much better this are with the water softener.

Water softeners are supposed to abate some of those stains you get in your shower and tub, right? If so, I should probably get one. We get these lovely “pink” stains from the water that makes us have to clean the shower more than I think it should have to be cleaned.

[quote=“Elmira_Viking, post:16, topic:25579”]
We use liquid laundry detergent, so there is no residue. It will be interesting to see how much better this are with the water softener.
[/quote]There is such a thing as to soft water which will leave soap residue on everything and use a lot of salt. I have a softener and the city claims they have soft water so I set it to only go on if a certain level of hardness happens.

I don’t know about pink stains. But, we have lot’s of iron in our water that leave brown stains if the taps drip. Our whites turn yellowish after awhile. The softener will remove the iron and the calcium from the water, helping us to use much less soap.

My first dishwasher was a used one, and it had pink stains. I think it was the type of material it was lined with along with high-iron content in the water.