Britain Gets Tough on Disability Claimers... Lessons for the USA here?

900,000 choose to come off sickness benefit ahead of tests!
Nearly 900,000 people who were on incapacity benefit dropped their claim to the payments rather than undergo a tough medical test, latest government figures show.
The 878,300 who decided not to have an official assessment of whether they were fit for work was more than a third of the total number of people claiming sickness-related benefits. …As well as the 878,300 who chose to drop their claims, another 837,000 who did take the a medical test were found to be fit to work immediately, while a further **367,300 were judged able to some level of work. **…Only 232,000 (**one in eight of those tested) were classified by doctors to be too ill to do any sort of job. **… Grant Shapps, the Conservative Party chairman, said the old system was “evil” and accused Labour of **using sickness benefits to “hide the unemployed” when the party was in power. **
900,000 choose to come off sickness benefit ahead of tests - Telegraph

Sound familiar boys and girls?? Maybe instead of drug testing for welfare…we should put some teeth in SSD fraud enforcement.

The federal government now spends more on disability than food stamps and welfare combined. **
Once a worker qualifies, he or she possesses an asset producing a guaranteed income of $13,000 a year for life, plus free health care through the Medicare program. (Compare that with the average minimum-wage job, which offers only $15,000 a year without health care.) The benefits are far from extravagant, but they can offer older workers a bridge to the Social Security retirement age, and an early start on Medicare.
Fewer than 1 percent of workers who go on DI ever leave the rolls.**
National Editorial: Soaring Social Security disability rolls headed for collapse | WashingtonExaminer.com

**Nearly six million Americans have been awarded SSDI benefits since January 2009. **
Those working poor making $10 bucks an hour with no benefits are chumps in Obama’s America.

Interesting that this got no comments. The disability scam that has been perpetuated throughout the United States, costs the American taxpayer and yet Obama and company seem to abet this action.
But I do think the real problem here is the Attorneys who sue at the drop of a hat and states not willing to deal with them. In other words, were I on disability and I had to get a physical to stay on it, the attorney will sue the state and usually win, and I get to stay on SS disability while the Attorney gets a healthy check. Way I see it, Britain has better control over their legal system, America lost that control with the onset of the ACLU

And the flip side is that sometimes someone with a true disability can’t get it. I knew a woman who had serious balance problems, to the point that she couldn’t walk, and her doctor certified her as disabled, but the board, or whatever, who made the decision, insisted that she was faking. She had the last laugh, though - the Lord healed her.

Why “instead”, Cam? If we’re going to have these programs funded by taxes, they should all have meaningful eleigibilty verification.

agree pete…just think there is more low hanging fruit here…ready for ez picking…but I am for it all!

Wow, and I thought fraud was illegal in the US.

Government seems to have two solutions for any problem:

• Throw money at it;

• Throw a law or regulation at it.

Well, it is, of course. But nobody pays any attention to it any more, it seems.

That’s okay, folks. I just had a woman in her 40’s (who generally votes) tell me that she’s not apply for SSI! "Oh, not at all. I’m applying for Disability!
:thud:

There was a big protest march here (Edinburgh) against the cuts a few days ago. What Cam posted is a small part of a comprehensive we reform. Means-testing is going to be applied to a wider range of benefits, and they’re all going to be merged into a single payment called “universal credit”, rather than the claimant getting a bunch of different benefits separately (this should cut down on bureaucratic costs). Universal credit will be capped so as to make it impossible to get more per week from welfare than the average weekly wage (as ridiculous as it sounds, that used to be the case). The secretary for work and pensions is touting the reform as making welfare “work-oriented”, as it obviously should always have been…

Also they’re going to make it harder for foreign nationals to claim, so that people stop coming here and living off British taxpayers. It’s a real problem since anyone with EU citizenship can come without a visa.
Cameron unveils immigration crackdown